Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-11-2018, 01:54 AM   #1
kingandsoraka
kingandsoraka began at the beginning.

Device: mastel
Japan - Only 32GB Kindle Paperwhite Announced.

It seems that Amazon Japan are launching a special version of the Paperwhite that has 32GB of storage. Apparently this is for use with (large) graphic novels.

News from The Verge.
kingandsoraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:00 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's been a 32GB "Manga" Paperwhite sold in Japan for years. Do you mean that a new model of it is being released? Details?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2018, 06:01 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 32GB Oasis has a better screen for Manga given that the screen is 7" and not 6".
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingandsoraka View Post
News from The Verge.
The Verge did have a post about this...in October 2016.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's been a 32GB "Manga" Paperwhite sold in Japan for years. Do you mean that a new model of it is being released? Details?
Yeah, they were for sale recently on Woot.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Available again:
https://computers.woot.com/offers/ki...b-6-e-reader-2
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
The price almost makes me want to snap one up, just to try the Kindle. I've used them before, mainly playing around with one at a store or sideloading books for my mother-in-law.

Is it true that hyphenation and their enhanced type setting doesn't work except for on KFX books?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The price almost makes me want to snap one up, just to try the Kindle. I've used them before, mainly playing around with one at a store or sideloading books for my mother-in-law.

Is it true that hyphenation and their enhanced type setting doesn't work except for on KFX books?
I believe so. Quite honestly, those are features I disable on my ePub readers so I've never really paid attention as to whether they worked or not on the Kindle.

Lol, I just replaced a PW2-2GB with a PW3-4GB last week but I just had to snap one of these up. Thank goodness I decided to wait before doing a sidegrade PW3-4GB 5.9.4 to PW3-4GB 5.8.11 (for JB purposes). Despite the relatively small display size, the 300 ppi pixel density makes it quite usable for manga. On the PW2 (212 ppi), the small text (SFX, thoughts, etc) aren't all that legible. I can and do read manga in doublepage landscape mode on an iPad mini 4 and the PW3 is around that size.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:21 PM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You can have hyphenation using KF8 (azw3) format by adding soft hyphens to the book before conversion. The Hyphenate This plugin for calibre can add those.

The other Enhanced Typesetting features and Page Flip are only supported for books in KFX format.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You can have hyphenation using KF8 (azw3) format by adding soft hyphens to the book before conversion. The Hyphenate This plugin for calibre can add those.
Not so. You can add the soft hyphens to the KF8. You don't need to add them to the ePub before the conversion. Just use the Hyphenate This! plugin for Calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:14 PM   #11
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not so. You can add the soft hyphens to the KF8. You don't need to add them to the ePub before the conversion. Just use the Hyphenate This! plugin for Calibre.
It depends on your workflow. I add hyphenation to the EPUB using Hyphenate This!, convert to Master MOBI (old MOBI+KF8) using kindlegen and then email the book to my Amazon account.

That lets me read with hyphenation and also the sync reading position across multiple devices.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:56 AM   #12
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
The magna is available today as a refurb (2016 model) from Woot.

https://computers.woot.com/offers/ki...nt_gw_zlm_bs_7
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:04 AM   #13
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
I couldn't resist the $89.99 price tag, so I pulled the trigger and bought one on Monday. It was delivered yesterday, and to my very pleasant surprise it didn't have special offers on it.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #14
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
As an FYI, the model at Woot! is a 6" screen, not a 7". Still a great option for those who want their entire libraries on their unit. Paperwhite doesn't play whispersync audio, so not a choice for me.

Last edited by Tarana; 03-15-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #15
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
As an FYI, the model at Woot! is a 6" screen, not a 7". Still a great option for those who want their entire libraries on their unit. Paperwhite doesn't play whispersync audio, so not a choice for me.
I wasn't aware that there was a 7" Kindle Paperwhite. Did Amazon release a 7" screen for the Japanese market only?
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote