Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #31
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Sequel:

Today Sigil 0.7.4 again failed to launch.
Possibly related: I had just applied the last IE8 patch.

Anyway, uninstall and reinstall 0.7.4: still failed.

But with the benefit of experience, I installed 0.6.2; this worked.
Uninstalled and installed 0.7.4; that now launches.
I'll revisit this if it dies again.

Obviously the earlier version is installing some file or making some Registry setting that the later version needs, but for some reason does not create itself. Sad this is now unsupported but at least there is this hack if anyone else is affected.

[Comment deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-04-2014 at 12:01 PM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:08 AM   #32
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
Sequel:

Today Sigil 0.7.4 again failed to launch.
Possibly related: I had just applied the last IE8 patch.

Anyway, uninstall and reinstall 0.7.4: still failed.

But with the benefit of experience, I installed 0.6.2; this worked.
Uninstalled and installed 0.7.4; that now launches.
I'll revisit this if it dies again.

Obviously the earlier version is installing some file or making some Registry setting that the later version needs, but for some reason does not create itself. Sad this is now unsupported but at least there is this hack if anyone else is affected.
That gels with the superuser link I posted in Post #24 One solution there was to downgrade from IE8 to IE7

Question is - why is Qt5 sensitive to IE versions, there's still an awful of XP in use out there, seems odd that it doesn't seem to be showing up in other contexts.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2014, 05:07 AM   #33
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Question is - why is Qt5 sensitive to IE versions, there's still an awful of XP in use out there, seems odd that it doesn't seem to be showing up in other contexts.
It only hit me last week, after using Sigil without incident for several months, so stay tuned.

[Text deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-04-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:49 AM   #34
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Not so strange in my opinion. The framework also contains web-elements. It saves a lot of work to utilize web elements that are present by default on the system. Since IE is present by default on a Windows system, it makes sense to make use of it. I think almost all framework uses that idea.

It would be much better to move away from XP, since it is not safe at all anymore to use it. There are various bugs known for it (and on the blackmarket also some serious bugs can be bought) that will not be fixed anymore. For an Operating System it is old and has been supported all this time, which is quite unusual and for which Microsoft does not get enough respect in my opinion.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:39 AM   #35
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
The compiler that generates the windows Sigil program can call on bits and pieces of Windows that are not obvious.

It's possible a different compiler would not create this issue, but then again, it might not work at all.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #36
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This issue has been around since at least 2010 - https://www.google.com/search?q=%20I...+be+found+qt+5

It also pops up with respect to qt4, And in one of the 2010 threads at Qt one post reported the error on Vista 64

So there goes the 'its QT5 on XP' theory

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The ieshims.dll- and wer.dll-related delayed-load module errors are a distraction from whatever the real problem is. Those same exact errors show up on systems (XP and otherwise) where Sigil is running fine.

I don't believe it's a registry setting either. The registry settings added by Sigil's installer are easily identified in the source code (from the Inno Setup Compiler's conf file):

[HKLM]
"Software\Classes\.epub\OpenWithList\Sigil.exe "
"Software\Classes\.htm\OpenWithList\Sigil.exe"
"Software\Classes\.html\OpenWithList\Sigil.exe "
"Software\Classes\.xhtml\OpenWithList\Sigil.ex e"

[HKCR]
".epub"
"SigilEPUB"
"SigilEPUB\DefaultIcon"
"SigilEPUB\shell\open\command"

I don't really have any suggestions as to what it MIGHT be, but I truly believe the IESHIMS and WER stuff are dead-ends with regard to permanently fixing it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:52 AM   #38
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The ieshims.dll- and wer.dll-related delayed-load module errors are a distraction from whatever the real problem is. Those same exact errors show up on systems (XP and otherwise) where Sigil is running fine.
I believe I said that.

Quote:
I don't believe it's a registry setting either. The registry settings added by Sigil's installer are easily identified in the source code (from the Inno Setup Compiler's conf file):
Well, it can't be a system file that Sigil installs, since the issue happens with the portable version, when all files are in the program folder, so what else could it be but the Registry?

And since Sigil did run for months before this happened, it also wasn't due to changes made by the Sigil installer, but some other process (Windows update?) that killed it as a side effect somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
It would be much better to move away from XP,.
If I wanted to discuss the pros and cons of WinXP, I'd do it at msfn.org.

[Comment deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-04-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #39
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
FWIW
XP SP3, IE8 (installed but rarely used ) and Sigil 7.4 just Runs.

I am willing to bet that there is a 3rd player (which I don't have) that is affecting this issue.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I am willing to bet that there is a 3rd player (which I don't have) that is affecting this issue.
If I was forced to a hazard a guess, that would be it. There's so many proprietary apps that use Qt (and other libs) out there that who can tell what version of one of them is already loaded when Sigil tries to run?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote