Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-31-2011, 05:02 AM   #1
salines
Zealot
salines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-T1
tags/genres for series

In my collection are many series. Not all members of a series have tags/genres. Some have nothin, some have different.

Is it possible to get the tags/genres from the series member with the most tags/genres and paste them to the other series member - and this for all books with all series?

I don't want to do this for each series...
salines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:20 AM   #2
raynedrop
raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raynedrop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD (7in) & Polaroid 7 tablet
If there is another way I am sure someone with more experience than me will come along and let you know. This is just the way I found to do it for me:

with your mouse right click and copy the info you want

then
1.Highlight/Pick the books on your screen that you want to do that to -

2.then go to Edit Metadata and pick EDIT METADATA IN BULK --

3.it opens up a window you can change, add or delete different fields in. You can delete tags or add tags etc..

Just look at the different options in that window in the Basic Metadata tab and you should be able to do what you wish to by pasting it into the field you want it to be in.

I found you can do alot of things in that window and that was something I needed to do as well. Hope it helps!
raynedrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
salines
Zealot
salines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-T1
This can be done for each series. But I'm searching for a workflow for my whole collection in calibre.
salines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by salines View Post
This can be done for each series. But I'm searching for a workflow for my whole collection in calibre.
I'll go out on a limb and say it can only be done with scripting and command line tools or by writing some special code. (If it's possible, saying it can't be done will draw out anyone who knows how to do it.)

If you decide to do it series by series, not globally, you may want to merge all genres together and all tags for all series members. That's different from selecting the one series member with the most tags or genres. You can merge all tags and all genres for all books in a series by making an empty record and then Merging all series members into it with the "Keep Others" option. That initially "empty record" would end up with all the tags and genres for all the series members and the other records would be untouched. (You'll get a more than 5 books Merge Warning if the series has more than 4 members).
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:17 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I'll go out on a limb and say it can only be done with scripting and command line tools or by writing some special code. (If it's possible, saying it can't be done will draw out anyone who knows how to do it.)
You are correct. Calibre's internal scripting (the template language) operates on a book-by-book basis. There is no way to operate on a set of books.

You can, of course, do this by writing a plugin. Plugins can do more-or-less anything to any group of books.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
You are correct. Calibre's internal scripting (the template language) operates on a book-by-book basis. There is no way to operate on a set of books.

You can, of course, do this by writing a plugin. Plugins can do more-or-less anything to any group of books.
Templates operate book-by-book, as do searches. You can't do things like "Find the book in each series that has the most tags" as that requires comparing book to book. (Although you can count tags and sort, etc.)

I just wasn't sure if there was already a plugin that might be adapted in some way, or if not, if someone might have written/posted some code that could be executed calibre-debug with the "-e" or "-c" options that might do this or at least some part of it.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote