Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-21-2018, 09:45 PM   #3076
Tokudoku
Tokudoku began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
You said your new firmware was 5.8.10.1. I haven't seen any success on that particular firmware.
That one is not downgradeable.
Isn't the below a successful result from a PW3 on 5.8.10.1 - or am I missing something here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigismond0 View Post
I just wanted to drop a line and say that my new PW3 was successfully jailbroken using the instructions here. It was purchased in December and shipped with 5.8.10.1, and I had already registered the device with Amazon and used it for a couple of weeks before jailbreaking. I followed the directions in the first post, with a few notes:

* Used 5.7.4 for downgrade, since there were no reliable links for 5.8.9.0.1.
* Used the nomax hotfix.
* Updated to 5.8.11 after the jailbreak, at which point the Kindle required me to re-register with Amazon before use. While it was reset and on 5.7.4, it worked without being registered.

The only huiccup I ran into was forgetting to reset before doing the downgrade, then resetting after the downgrade. ;installHtml didn't do anything. After a second downgrade (really a side-grade, since it was from 5.7.4 to 5.7.4), everything ran as expected.

So for anyone in a similar situation, things look promising! Thanks everyone for all the great work done here.
Tokudoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:45 PM   #3077
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokudoku View Post
Isn't the below a successful result from a PW3 on 5.8.10.1 - or am I missing something here?
That is the only one I have seen and since there is no additional information I would be careful.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:17 PM   #3078
Tokudoku

Quote:
That is the only one I have seen and since there is no additional information I would be careful.
There's a few more examples - but also examples of failures (My previous brick included) but as knc1 mentioned, there's no conclusive pattern as to what is causing the bricks vs successful flashes.

Yeah I'll wait it out until we have more information, can't risk a second brick as I'm pretty sure the store I purchased from wont replace it a second time.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:21 AM   #3079
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I'm in New Zealand - No local amazon here, so not sure where they're sourced from. it'll be a European model, not US - might be sourced from Amazon AU. is there any way I can tell?

On the previous device I bricked I chose UK English on device startup - Since successful results I've read about seem to be choosing US English, I'd be inclined to try again using US English and 5.8.9.0.1. But I don't think I'll be able to return a second bricked unit, so due to the current risk and murky situation I'll have to leave mine as is for now.
If everyone who bought a kindle was willing to sacrifice their first one (Knowing they could return it for a replacement) We might be able to figure out what the pattern of success was

Ah okay, so at the moment we just don't know why some are working, yet some aren't? Totally understand why it's being suggested to not attempt at the moment then.

Thanks the both of you for all the advise and explanations - if I can give you any more information that'll help, let me know!
There is always the fall-back to using the serial port, except for the two Oasis models.

Quote:
Somehow I missed that one, I think we have to call that one a typo of the version number.
Quote:
There's a few more examples - but also examples of failures (My previous brick included) but as knc1 mentioned, there's no conclusive pattern as to what is causing the bricks vs successful flashes.

Yeah I'll wait it out until we have more information, can't risk a second brick as I'm pretty sure the store I purchased from wont replace it a second time.
I have started asking people to post, in public, the full details of the device they are attempting to jail break and the results.

Perhaps a pattern will emerge.

Also, as time allows, I think I will start posting the directions I write up on one of my own sites.
Hmm...
Probably on Kindel network connection (knetconnect, I am the first member there, so: knc1 (twobob was the second member knc2) )
Why "network connection"? Because we had VoIP for the Kindle Touch and where going to let Kindle users connect over a private network with each other - which got 86'd by Amazon dropping audio support.
Now it is just a bit of Kindle development trivia

Last edited by knc1; 01-23-2018 at 09:29 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:27 PM   #3080
vkindle
vkindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3_G090 G105
Jailbreak Kindle PW3 - downgrade file

Can someone please point me to the downgrade file for the PW3 (S/N G090 G105)? I am only seeing the zip file for PW2. Many thanks!
vkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:34 PM   #3081
vkindle

According to this thread: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/5_x_Jailbreak a Kindle running Firmware 5.8.x and up will not allow Jailbreak. The current firmware in my PW3 (G090 G105) is version 5.9.2.0.1. Can anyone verify if my device can be jailbroken and if so, where to find the downgrade file that works?
Old 01-25-2018, 04:58 PM   #3082
vkindle

I am trying to install the install_test_dummy folder but my Kindle PW3 (S/N G090 G105) does not have a JB folder only:

.active_content_sandbox, and
documents

How do I get the JB installed? Can I move the install_test_dummy folder to the root dir to downgrade?
Old 01-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #3083
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It has to be jail broken before you can install anything, if you do not have the "jail broken" file /documents, this process did not work.

What firmware version is your Kindle running?

The successful jail break document looks like:
Old 01-26-2018, 01:07 AM   #3084
sigismond0
sigismond0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3, 5.8.11 JB
Quote:
What country are you in?
If I remember correctly : only Germany can potentially jailbreak their kindles. !

That is why the contradicting information.
Just to throw more evidence on the "there's no real pattern" heap, I was able to Jailbreak my US PW3 (G090G1) from 5.8.10.1. And no, that wasn't a typo, I double and triple checked everything before trying. I specifically tried because post 3010 suggested it might be possible and my firmware matched. It would seem I'm an outlier though, so I should probably go back and put a postscript on that post saying to be careful

Apologies to Tokudoku that your experience differed from mine, but I'm glad you were able to get a replacement.

Last edited by sigismond0; 01-26-2018 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Clarification.
sigismond0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:39 AM   #3085
Tokudoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigismond0 View Post
Just to throw more evidence on the "there's no real pattern" heap, I was able to Jailbreak my US PW3 (G090G1) from 5.8.10.1. And no, that wasn't a typo, I double and triple checked everything before trying. I specifically tried because post 3010 suggested it might be possible and my firmware matched. It would seem I'm an outlier though, so I should probably go back and put a postscript on that post saying to be careful

Apologies to Tokudoku that your experience differed from mine, but I'm glad you were able to get a replacement.
Thanks for replying back to confirm - don't apologize - we need examples of both failures and successes to figure out the success pattern and move forward.

Interesting you have a US kindle - I'm assuming you chose US English as your language when booting it up?

Every failure I've read seems to be UK English, and every success seems to be US English. Makes me wonder if the language you choose has anything to do with the success?
Old 01-26-2018, 02:01 AM   #3086
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Semi-successful story. PW3 shipped with the factory 5.8.10.1.
Trying to downgrade with the update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin failed as shown.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	161832
The usb storage was visible after reboot for 20 sec only. The official update file 5.8.11 was divided into four parts, each of them was copied to the device within 20 sec, then all parts were combined. The device updated, then one more reboot needed, finally the device started.
The problem is shown below:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	161833
There is a darker area at the bottom right corner of the screen, the same place which was corrupted as seen on the first picture. The device was updated to the latest official 5.9.2.0.1. The same screen with the darker area.
Any suggestion please?
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:17 AM   #3087
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
AFAIRC, the preinstalled VoiceView files are US English only. Maybe the device has to be set to this language too. But OTOH, I was able to jb two PW3 devices running 5.8.9.0.1 which were both set to German as menu language before downgrading (merely sidegrading..) to the factory build 5.8.9.0.1.

That's why I was guessing that the one-time downgradeability has to do with the possibility to install additional VoiceView language files which match the chosen menu language.
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #3088
sigismond0
sigismond0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3, 5.8.11 JB
You might be onto something there--I did install the VoiceView files on my EN-US language PW3 before doing the jailbreak. I did that because fomment 2783 suggested that being able to load the VoiceView module was a likely indication of a successful downgrade path. So testing that may actually be a somewhat necessary step on 5.8.10.1?

Last edited by sigismond0; 01-27-2018 at 03:56 PM.
sigismond0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:35 PM   #3089
vkindle

Jailbreak PW3

KNC1 - thanks for the reply. That's what I am trying to do. Jailbreak my Kindle. I have a PW3, S/N G090 G105xxx and the Firmware is 5.9.2.0.1.

Should I just copy the install_test_dummy folder into the root drive of the device to JailBreak it? Also anything I should watch out for so as not to brick it as other users have? Many thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It has to be jail broken before you can install anything, if you do not have the "jail broken" file /documents, this process did not work.

What firmware version is your Kindle running?

The successful jail break document looks like:
Old 01-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #3090
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkindle View Post
KNC1 - thanks for the reply. That's what I am trying to do. Jailbreak my Kindle. I have a PW3, S/N G090 G105xxx and the Firmware is 5.9.2.0.1.
- - - -
You can not jail break 5.9.2.0.1 - which is why you didn't find a jail break thread for that version number.