Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-14-2017, 05:44 PM   #1
Cthulhu4u
Cthulhu4u began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Making every book have the same font size.

Hello,

I use Calibre to convert books to AZW3 for use with Kindle and Kindle apps, but I have a problem. Is there any way, during a mass conversion, to make sure that all books have the same base font size. I know that fonts can be resized int he reader, but a lot of times even the largest size is too small. Most times whatever font the books have can be changed while reading, but there are some books that start out with a smaller font and even increasing the size while reading doesn't make them as big as in other books. I know there is a checkbox in Calibre to overide the publisher font so you can use whatever one you want while reading, but this doesn't seem to help the actual size. I also know that you can fiddle witht he font size in individual books, but I would like to be able to just convert them all at once with settings that I know will make them all the same size to begin with so that if I increase the font size while reading, it will be as book on each book.

Thanks.
Cthulhu4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:00 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Not really.
Calibre can scale fonts, but that assumes they have the same starting point in each book. Some set the body High (>1 ) because the <P> was low (.755em appears frequently)

This is the reason I hand edit each book.
I use font-size: 1.2em for MY ,body class. (older eyes here), 1em might meet your BASE font needs This is always the same for ALL my books.

Basic P, (I assume (inherits) 1em start by using display:block, I remove any font-size.
I scale other tags (h#, div, hr) and spans as needed
(boierplate styles get ~ .9em )

By doing it this way, I KEEP dropcaps and other display font sizes

Without looking at the CSS (code) you don't know how the book was built. Either way could result in the same appearence.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:25 PM   #3
Cthulhu4u
Cthulhu4u began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Thank you, I'll try it. I just have so many books, I was hoping or a less time-consuming fix. Thanks very much for the info though. I'll do it on the ones I know are too small at least.
Cthulhu4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu4u View Post
Thank you, I'll try it. I just have so many books, I was hoping or a less time-consuming fix. Thanks very much for the info though. I'll do it on the ones I know are too small at least.
I have a few clips (I happen to use Sigil, because that was what I started with) that I can drop in the proper places in the CSS, once I resolve (reverse engineer) the coding . Note I replace CODE, not the CSS as a whole.
Most books take 5-10 minutes to fine tune.

Messy code (usually word conversions without a Word stylesheet. No 2 chapters coded the same ) can take over an hour (I start by applying a consistent style sheet to all chapters, I ignore fixing boilerplate pages )
Old 11-15-2017, 02:31 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu4u View Post
I use Calibre to convert books to AZW3 for use with Kindle and Kindle apps, but I have a problem. Is there any way, during a mass conversion, to make sure that all books have the same base font size.
Maybe if all of the input ebooks have the same base font size. If you uncheck Disable font size rescaling, see attached, you can specify the base font size used during conversion.

I use this on a case by case basis when after converting I find the fonts are too small. See attached for my settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	base font size.png
Views:	235
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	160017   Click image for larger version

Name:	font rescaling wizard.png
Views:	216
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	160018  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-15-2017 at 02:46 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:53 AM   #6
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Just curious:

I happen to see font sizes in the order of .7555em, .83333333em or similar. I have heard that this used to cause (in the past) the rendering engines some extra effort (hence delays) to accomplish that precision, while it hardly worth the effort as it is barley noticeable for the casual reader. Out of habit I just always replace the above sizes with .75em and .8em and equivalent.

What is the current opinion about this?
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #7
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
I have either the Default Output/Default Input or Nook for both input and output set up under Page Setup. Calibre conversion will code all my text for paragraphs to 1em (which is what I prefer), but when I code any text between .8em and .95em, Calibre conversion will change them all to .75em. Then I'll have to edit them all and change them back to what I had.

I've tried checking the "disable font size rescaling," but that has never worked for me, and the font sizes get messed up for some reason.

Last edited by deback; 11-15-2017 at 12:20 PM.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:49 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Just curious:

I happen to see font sizes in the order of .7555em, .83333333em or similar. I have heard that this used to cause (in the past) the rendering engines some extra effort (hence delays) to accomplish that precision, while it hardly worth the effort as it is barley noticeable for the casual reader. Out of habit I just always replace the above sizes with .75em and .8em and equivalent.

What is the current opinion about this?
My opinion: The majority of the text should be the BODY FONT size (and family). All else is a explicit exception (bigger, smaller, bold, italic). Technically, most paragraphs should be a simple <p> p style would set the margins and indent... for the majority of the bodies.

The stylesheet overrides this for first paragraph text, centered text... Again: Exceptions to the majority