Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-28-2023, 09:45 PM   #5851
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
I seem (knock wood) to have lost my book acquisition lust.
Enjoy any opportunity to break the habit! It's difficult I know!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 01:00 AM   #5852
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I've mostly done OK so far. Mostly because I've stuck to my plan of trying all new authors out by getting the book from one of my libraries. Or getting it from KU. The one case where I just went ahead and bought a book it finally got marked Abandoned (2*) on Goodreads. All because I listened to a recommendation from a source I know better than to take as a surety. Ah, well. I'm also doing a fair amount of re-reading, dipping this year into the snow and cold of Alaska, by way of Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak. Still a great series as a re-read, and the audio books are masterfully read by Marguerite Gavin. And yes, I'll buy the new one when it comes out, but the reread didn't require buying anything new, so that covered most of January and a good bit of February.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2023, 02:17 AM   #5853
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Many congratulations! I'm still buying books on my wishlist that come up on offer, and the occasional "I must read this now" book.

But I'm no longer buying things just because they look interesting and are a good price. I seem to have managed (at the moment) to just moderate my buying rather than cutting it out altogether.

Only three books bought in each of January and February!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 06:04 AM   #5854
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
My name is Asa and I'm a book addict. <hello Asa>
I have been doing well and only bought books that I wanted to start reading NOW for over a year. <encouraging nods>
But yesterday I fell off the wagon and bough a book just to fill up a series. A series I'm not even sure I'll continue reading but I still wanted it to be complete. <slightly worried faces>
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 06:07 AM   #5855
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I have just made my third purchase of the year, presumably one of the new March monthly deals. One was an omnibus, so I've counted it as three. One was technically a "bad" purchase - it was a daily deal that wasn't really on my radar - but on the other hand I have finished it already and it was great.

I'm happy with that, although I have picked up a fair few freebies, and I'm currently reading my second paper library book of the year, so I'm still not always reading the books I already have.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2023, 06:20 AM   #5856
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
My name is Asa and I'm a book addict. <hello Asa>
I have been doing well and only bought books that I wanted to start reading NOW for over a year. <encouraging nods>
But yesterday I fell off the wagon and bough a book just to fill up a series. A series I'm not even sure I'll continue reading but I still wanted it to be complete. <slightly worried faces>
Welcome the the thread, Asa.

The temptation to buy books to fill in a series is real. I only do it for series I really want to read, and unless it's the very next one I need to read, I wait for special offers.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 07:42 AM   #5857
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
A series I'm not even sure I'll continue reading but I still wanted it to be complete. <slightly worried faces>
With most series, my interest runs out before the series does. I'm lucky in that there are very few series I follow, so it's a temptation I mostly don't have. Still, there's supposedly a new Sharpe book coming out this year and I'll read it, even though Sharpe has lost his luster for me. I may be saved from myself at that, since it was supposed to come out last year but publication was postponed and Cornwell's apologizing because of life. We've seen how that goes. And he is 79 years old. I'll get it from the library at that, if it happens.

Now... if they'd just go ahead and release some more of the Martin Bora series by Ben Pastor, that would be different. A buy on sight. The books have been published in Italy and are just sitting there in English! Sigh. I suspect that whatever's been holding them up is a permanent condition.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 02:27 PM   #5858
CAFlanny
Connoisseur
CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Meebook P78 Pro, Kindles: PW5, Voyage, & Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm also doing a fair amount of re-reading, dipping this year into the snow and cold of Alaska, by way of Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak. Still a great series as a re-read, and the audio books are masterfully read by Marguerite Gavin. And yes, I'll buy the new one when it comes out, but the reread didn't require buying anything new, so that covered most of January and a good bit of February.
I just started this series as I had the first book as a freebie in my TBR. Fortunately, the first ten books are on KU. I'm trying to stick to only buying books that my library doesn't carry. So far this year, I've bought 8 ebooks and 5 audiobooks. There have been sales recently on authors who don't go on sale a lot, so I couldn't resist.
CAFlanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 04:31 PM   #5859
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Now... if they'd just go ahead and release some more of the Martin Bora series by Ben Pastor, that would be different. A buy on sight. The books have been published in Italy and are just sitting there in English! Sigh. I suspect that whatever's been holding them up is a permanent condition.
There you go again, encouraging my bad behaviour! However, fortunately, the first one in the series, Lumen, is available from one of my libraries. (No audio books, however, unless one speaks Italian. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 01:03 PM   #5860
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Series are really awful for containing the book buying. Since I have so much to read, I stick them into EreaderIQ.com and wait for them to be on deep discount. Try not to go too far though - a lot of series fail after the 8th book. The writer is ready to move on but his/her publisher is not and it shows.

My buying for ebooks is up and just like Asa, it's series. Some of what I bought was for Mom - finished acquiring the Morland Dynasty plus more of Simon Scarrow. She has decided that she didn't want me to buy any more books for her.

My buying for audiobooks is down. No guarantee that will hold if they have another fabulous member's sale but my wishlist is under 100 now. Just like ebooks, series are a thing, but I've several series I'm not interested in extending now. I'm applying the "will I listen to this a second time?" before buying and that is helping a lot.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 01:28 PM   #5861
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
I splurged on illustrated editions of The Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion, even though I already have the standard editions free via Prime. Most I’ve ever spent on ebooks. For the Scribe (that’s my justification, anyway).
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 02:39 PM   #5862
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Series are really awful for containing the book buying. Since I have so much to read, I stick them into EreaderIQ.com and wait for them to be on deep discount. Try not to go too far though - a lot of series fail after the 8th book. The writer is ready to move on but his/her publisher is not and it shows.
Oh yes! I agree that around 8 often is the magic number (if not sooner). One book I read recently had the post script "this book really didn't want to get written in book 8 or 9. And all I could think was "you should have listened to the book!"
Another series I recently read ended with book 7 and it was an absolutely perfect ending. The author had decided to end the series there because she wanted to try something new. Hats off to her!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 04:32 PM   #5863
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
This won't work for every series, but Overdrive may help—I keep records of loaned books in Calibre, though not the book files themselves. One series (Redwall) is a combination of physical books, eBooks, and Overdrive loans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I splurged on illustrated editions of The Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion, even though I already have the standard editions free via Prime. Most I’ve ever spent on ebooks. For the Scribe (that’s my justification, anyway).
since I usually buy cheap or on sale, of the most expensive eBooks I have is the Kobo edition of the LOTR trilogy.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-03-2023 at 06:15 AM. Reason: checked my book records and corrected a mistake
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 08:06 PM   #5864
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I have not bought a whole lot the past year. I did technically buy a lot but not as bad as previous years. A noticeable reduction

I must have a 100 audibles I will never listen to. I wish I could return them. Audible has my returns restricted because in the past i returned like 50 of them i never touched
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 08:22 AM   #5865
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I bought my first book of the year in March. Admittedly it was pricey, but it's Big Five and was never going to get cheaper. Getting bonus Kindle Reward points was as good as it was going to get and I will read it in the near(ish) future. No regrets -- my TBR would be so much lower if I'd stuck to this model over the years!

I've read/am reading 14 TBR books so far this year; the rest are library/pd/audio (I don't count audiobooks for TBR purposes).
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote