Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-15-2023, 05:17 PM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
I think that with Shakespeare. Not only "who" but "why"...

Yes, I am sure I will be flamed for that, but I just don't understand the fuss that is made about his writings.
Reading Shaespeare isn't easy. They are plays. But man, you owe it to yourself to see some Shakespeare live.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 05:19 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It ans
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
That's not even weird, I'd totally read that.

I give you the Kissing the Coronavirus series. Yes, it's a series.

It also has this spin-off: Covid Claus is Coming to Town

I guess, whatever get's the juices flowing
You have to read this review of the first book. It's awesome!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3573934440

It answer the question of WTF and splits it into different WTFs.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 08:54 PM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Not what you meant, but I never could understand the large number of public domain ebooks available on sites like Amazon. Search for the Kindle version of "The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin," for example. There are 43 PAGES of results!

Who reads those? In most cases, no one, I bet. Why does Amazon waste the bandwidth?
When it comes to public domain, this is where Amazon Classics imprint is helpful, especially if you subscribe to Kindle Unlimited. They almost all include an audiobook as well.

And often I will just get the Delphi Classics (Complete works, collected works etc.) edition. I've started getting these direct from them, where you can get 'parts edition' and .ePub versions. They update them as things transition to PD, or to improve quality.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 04:40 PM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
OK, I did use the word "unreadable" to describe the ends of the spectrum, but there can be decent stuff in the middle.
I'll let new literary works mature and stand test of time and readers rather than awards & snobby critics. Then I might buy them. Literature were the author is sufficiently dead is less risk to the pocket (PD), but still involves time.

Yes there is decent stuff. I guess 24 yo was too young to try James Joyce.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 04:42 PM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Does a bigger catalog REALLY look better? If I need a public domain book, how do I choose from that morass? How many do I have to try before I get one with decent formatting? Is that the experience Amazon wants for its customers?
No, bigger is not automatically better, but corporate types might think so. Amazon is in danger of hiding good new authors in the noise.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:46 PM   #21
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
That's not even weird, I'd totally read that.

I give you the Kissing the Coronavirus series. Yes, it's a series.

It also has this spin-off: Covid Claus is Coming to Town

I guess, whatever get's the juices flowing
If you're brave, I suggest looking up Chuck Tingle sometime. Definitely not family-friendly though.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:48 PM   #22
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
And sometimes it is second order greed. The results of people selling instructions on how to make easy money by publishing freely available content on Amazon.
Reminds me of a joke I recently heard: "I ordered a book called How to Scam People. I'm still waiting for it to arrive."
Old 03-19-2023, 04:02 AM   #23
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
I bought a book called "Getting Things Done". It's somewhere in my bookshelf, with a bookmark about 1/3 in, and gathering dust
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 01:29 PM   #24
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
I bought a book called "Getting Things Done". It's somewhere in my bookshelf, with a bookmark about 1/3 in, and gathering dust
Obviously in the same category as round tuits.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 02:15 PM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
I ordered a book called How to Scam People.

It's been 6 months and I still haven't received it.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:21 PM   #26
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Reminds me of a joke I recently heard: "I ordered a book called How to Scam People. I'm still waiting for it to arrive."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I ordered a book called How to Scam People.

It's been 6 months and I still haven't received it.

Old 03-20-2023, 04:30 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
If you're brave, I suggest looking up Chuck Tingle sometime. Definitely not family-friendly though.
I think we should do a book club read of a Chuck Tingle book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 05:00 PM   #28
Halle
Halle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Diverse

There's something for everyone. What I notice sometimes is how often large groups of people are left out. Eg differently abled.
Halle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 05:06 PM   #29
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halle View Post
There's something for everyone. What I notice sometimes is how often large groups of people are left out. Eg differently abled.
As a disabled person: please, I'm begging people to not use the term differently abled. We're disabled.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:53 PM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Doh! That's where I heard it! Sorry for stealing your joke.