Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
higlider
higlider began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre2OPDS suppressing OPDS & authors

1. Although there is a check box "suppress Authors catalog", when I checked that box, I still got the Authors catalog. I was trying to suppress everything except All Books and Series for Browse catalogs to add as external to another catalog.

2. I only want to generate HTML downloads, so I checked suppress OPDS catalog and Suppress OPDS Download, but the Suppress HTML Download was unchecked, YET the resulting catalog had NO downloads whatsoever. There is also sometimes a greyed out check in the HTML download, and other times not, but the result is the same, no HTML download. Could somebody explain what trickery is going on with these two checkboxes re OPDS and HTML Download?

3. I have two catalogs defined, CatalogA is a normal full catalog w/o thumbnail browse. CatalogB suppresses all catalogs except Series and AllBooks and is in thumbnail browse mode. I then put pointers to the thumbnail pages of B into the external catalog part of CatalogA, so that in addition to allbooks, author, tags, etc, one can browse by thumbnails sorted by title or by series. The thumbnail CatalogB also tries to eliminate all breaks so all thumbnails appear on one page for browsing without navigating. So CatalogA and CatalogB require very different settings.

My problem is when I do one run with profile CatalogA and then change to profile CatalogB and generate that catalog, invariably either B ends up not having thumbnails (thumbnail browse checked) or A is only thumbnail browse when (thumbnail browse unchecked), so the profile settings that I see on the screen are not taking control. CatalogA and CatalogB have different destinations. so there should be no contamination of the two catalogs. There is something mysterious here. As a user that hasn't studied the source code, here are my assumptions:

a) That the current configuration displayed on the screen in the GUI is the configuration used to generate the catalog

b) That the command "Save" means save the current on screen configuration into the Profile currently being used, and nothing more than that.

c) That when I change to a new Profile, ALL configuration settings are retrieved from the profile and set the visible GUI settings, except that the external catalogs defined don't get entered onto the visible screen, you have to do that manually.

d) That the profile I am running should not be influenced by the previous profile I ran.

Somewhere along the line one or more of a-d are false, otherwise the behavior of the program would be completely predictable--but it isn't in my hands, and I have observed the issue for six months now. I hope an author can tell me which of a-d are false, and explain the real operation.
higlider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author catalog, calibre2opds, configuration, opds downloads, profiles