Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-27-2018, 02:21 PM   #1
Had Ouken
Had Ouken began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 350
Reader with tts, iphone app and highlighting

Hey there,

I'm not super new to the forum I joined a few years ago when the PRS-650 was top notch, but forgot my account details
Nw I'm looking for a reader to replace my Kindle 4 for reading nonfiction books and specifications. My requirements are:

• light (actually the only reason to get a new reader)
• super easy to highlight stuff (one handed would be perfect)
• an smartphone app with synced highlights and stuff

So actually the perfect ebook reader to me would be kindle 4 with a light.
But it doesnt exist, so I ended up with two other options and have some questions that you might be able to help me with:

Kindle Paperwhite
• All criterias fit except tts, is there any hack or something to get tts on it besides the accessibilty feature?

Pocketbook HD touch 3
• I'm not sure about the smartphone app, I saw there is some app but is it reliable and does it sync bookmarks and stuff?

Or do you have any other devices in mind which could fit my criteria?

Many thanks in advance
Had Ouken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:50 PM   #2
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I don't think the Pocketbook syncs bookmarks or notes. You could ask the support if this is going to be implemented soon.
I would go for the new Kindle Paperwhite if your priority is highlighting. The Kindles are more responsive and easier to use than the Pocketbooks in this regard.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:29 PM   #3
Had Ouken

Yeah, Paperwhite is also half the price.
But it has no usable tts.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:19 AM   #4
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Koreader with Evernote could work on the Pocketbook. I have it on my Inkpad 3, but it's very slow. For TTS you'd also have to switch to the PB reader.
Maybe an Android based device would be best for you.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
Had Ouken

Yeah, I thought so, too. But they're running astonishing old vetsions of Android which makes hunting down compatible apps too unreliable and time consuming.

I have the feeling that Pocket Book HD 3 with the Pocket Book App and a Dropbox Account will work. I will look ino that as soon as it's shipable again.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:59 PM   #6
LucyOne
Librocubicularist

You cannot get the highlights into the PB app via Dropbox. AFAIK only Kindle offers genuine highlight synchronisation.

I use Coolreader on my Pocketbooks. It creates a TXT file for each book with the highlights. I sync the folder with those files to Dropbox. It's not possible, though, to integrate these into a book on another device. For me it's enough to have the highlights in separate files.

I think the Onyx devices are running on Android 6, or was it the Likebooks?
Old 01-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #7
Had Ouken

Okay, so LucyOne was right, don't get tricked by the marketing papers which includes the manual. It is not possible to sync notes on PocketBook HD 3

Although, they state both do, neither Dropbox nor PocketBook Cloud are capable of doong it. Both take hell of a time to set up and include sending serial keys around and accepting terms of use of omnious 3rd parties called "your bookstore" or something like that.

TTS is top notch, though.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #8
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had Ouken View Post
Okay, so LucyOne was right, don't get tricked by the marketing papers which includes the manual. It is not possible to sync notes on PocketBook HD 3

Although, they state both do, neither Dropbox nor PocketBook Cloud are capable of doong it. Both take hell of a time to set up and include sending serial keys around and accepting terms of use of omnious 3rd parties called "your bookstore" or something like that.

TTS is top notch, though.
I don't own an HD3, but looking at the user manual, I don't see anywhere that says you can sync notes with Dropbox or PocketBook Cloud. Where did you see those statements?
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:13 PM   #9
Had Ouken

In non-english manuals, in the description of the apps on the device, in descriptions of the cloud on there webpage and if I remember correctly in the english manual on the device (not online).

They've been advertising it since 2015 and must know by now that they can't deliver it.