Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-24-2018, 02:53 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Installing SD card in Android: should I choose internal or external storage

Hi. I'm going to buy an SD card for my Android (LG D-415) phone. I've been reading about how to install it and it seems I'll be offered a choice between internal (where the card becomes a part of the phone's storage) or external (where the card basically functions like a usb flash drive to a PC).

I've read where the internal route is really good because you don't have to be keeping things separate between the internal
and external (SD card) storage. But what happens if the SD card is corrupted? Seems that could be a real mess.

I'm wondering which is the best way to go. Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
If you plan to leave the card in the phone all the time and you don't want to be able to back the card up or move it to a different device, make it internal. Just remember that when you do that you can pretty much only use the card's contents from that device. If you want to back it up you can connect the phone to a computer via USB and copy the pictures and books and movies, etc.

If you'll be using the card to transfer data to other devices or if you aren't good about making backups and you will be storing things you don't want to lose, make it external.

I'm pretty good at backing up and I almost never remove the card from my phone but I still made it external. This means an occasional small hassle copying stuff to it but if I ever get a new phone transferring stuff to it will be easier. I could do it either way but I feel a little safe having more control.

For most people, me included, either way works. Pick what feels right to you.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2018, 09:10 PM   #3
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
If you plan to leave the card in the phone all the time and you don't want to be able to back the card up or move it to a different device, make it internal. Just remember that when you do that you can pretty much only use the card's contents from that device. If you want to back it up you can connect the phone to a computer via USB and copy the pictures and books and movies, etc.

If you'll be using the card to transfer data to other devices or if you aren't good about making backups and you will be storing things you don't want to lose, make it external.

I'm pretty good at backing up and I almost never remove the card from my phone but I still made it external. This means an occasional small hassle copying stuff to it but if I ever get a new phone transferring stuff to it will be easier. I could do it either way but I feel a little safe having more control.

For most people, me included, either way works. Pick what feels right to you.

Barry
Great explanation, Barry. Thanks a lot. I'm definitely just wanting to stick the new card in there and forget about it, so I'm going internal. Appreciate the help!
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote