Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Editors really can't get their act together

Hello everyone,

A new rant on the poor quality of some ebooks; sorry, I feel the need to vent!

I recently purchased "A Corpse in the Koryo" by James Church at BoB. I really, REALLY wanted that ebook, which is why I paid 22.63$ to get a copy of that old book, available on paperback for about 8$. Well, that was a mistake: the book does not reflow properly, and although it is an epub, it behaves at times like a PDF. It looks great with fonts set at the original size, but way too small to read without an electronic microscope, and when I change the size of the fonts, it gets all messed up. Argh.

My next purchase was "Genesis", by Bernard Beckett on the Sony bookstore. Well, it flows properly, which is one thing. Alas, the editor chose some sans serif font, which is painful to read (and no, I do not want to hack my reader to change the font), and some words get "cut" with the odd blank space. I thus get "par ti ci pants", or "primi tive". Annoying when it occurs thrice in a single paragraph. Pffff.

Turns out that 3 weeks from 2010, one still has to be mightily motivated to read ebooks. Let's hope editors will make some wise new year resolutions.

Alfy.

PS: BoB offered full refund in account rewards, no questions asked, which was a lot nicer than my previous exchanges with WHSmith on a similar problem. Kudos for BoB!
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote