Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
jerrywojo
Connoisseur
jerrywojo began at the beginning.

255 Char limit question

Been having issues with "title" names being truncated making for a neat and orderly database difficult.

From what I've read there is 255 character limit in the file path. So I moved the storage folder to C:\Books

Still having the truncated titles. Fixing manually and gathering metadata is tedious. So I figure I gotta be doing something wrong.

Here is what I'm looking to do.

Add a file like this: Drake, David - Servant of the Dragon

And have it display in column 1: Drake, David - Servant of the Dragon

Just the file name without it being truncated and without it guessing and adding metadata. And I do not need folders.

Then convert to: Drake, David - Servant of the Dragon.epub

I'm looking to keep things neat and clean. Want to keep file names consistent throughout the work flow.

tia
jerrywojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrywojo View Post
From what I've read there is 255 character limit in the file path. So I moved the storage folder to C:\Books
This sounds like you are accessing the Library directly. You don't need to do that. Use Save or Send to access your books.

Quote:
Fixing manually and gathering metadata is tedious.
This sounds like you want metadata, and like it's not showing the correct title in the main screen. Or are you saying you're changing filenames in the Library?

Quote:
Add a file like this: Drake, David - Servant of the Dragon

And have it display in column 1: Drake, David - Servant of the Dragon
That's an author and a title. Do you want the author's name as part of the title? Calibre isn't designed to work that way.

Quote:
Just the file name without it being truncated and without it guessing and adding metadata.
This sounds like you don't want metadata? The author and title are metadata. If you don't tell it the metadata, it must guess it, unless it's stored in the file.

Quote:
And I do not need folders.
This also sounds like you're looking at the Library. Calibre controls the library. If you want copies of your books, you can tell it not to create folders when you tell it where to Save the book.

Quote:
Then convert to: Drake, David - Servant of the Dragon.epub
This sounds like a firstname/lastname issue. Do you want your authors saved lastname first? If so, there are tweaks to do this.

Quote:
I'm looking to keep things neat and clean. Want to keep file names consistent throughout the work flow.
What work flow? Once you give it to Calibre, you work with metadata, not filenames. You add or change the metadata. Calibre keeps the book and will save it with any name you want. It creates the name of the file and the name of any folders based on the metadata you have associated with that book.

Last edited by Starson17; 07-10-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
What you're doing wrong is trying to work with files, not books.

Calibre manages books; it's a level of abstraction on top of files the way files are a level of abstraction on top of the disc structure. You don't worry about what tracks and sectors represent your files; likewise, with calibre, you don't worry about what files represent your books.

The longer explanation is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85232
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
jerrywojo
Connoisseur
jerrywojo began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
What you're doing wrong is trying to work with files, not books.

Calibre manages books; it's a level of abstraction on top of files the way files are a level of abstraction on top of the disc structure. You don't worry about what tracks and sectors represent your files; likewise, with calibre, you don't worry about what files represent your books.

The longer explanation is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85232
thanks for the reply. I found what I was looking for with the check box, "Read Metadata from file name"

However I did find it rather tedious retrieving metadata using the default settings. Time and time again I was either A,rearranging the title and author or removing one or the other. Or B, actually pulling the isbn off Amazon.

And the titles and just about everything else was a mess. Again was using the default settings.
jerrywojo is offline   Reply With Quote