Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
*.parsed files?

I may have commited some kind of kobo-boo-boo here...

I was messing around with how many books the kobo can actually hold and so I web searched for epub books (wow there are quite a few ebooks out there) and then I looked for free pdf books on the web (I ran a batch convert through calibre to get them to epub format) and then copied up several hundered books to my kobo. As a USB device the windows showed that 886mb full on the Kobo.

Then after unplugging the kobo it took a VERY long time to process. In fact it almost drained the fully charged battery. But it worked and I had some fun skimming through the books. So having had a my fun I plugged the kobo into my computer and deleted the books folder that I had set up.

BUT, windows still shows the Kobo USB as 412mb used. ???

Turns out that the kobo has 31117 'folder_title_file format.parsed' files in a folder called .kobo\images and they take up about 278 mb.

I am not sure what I should do with these files.

Any thoughts?

Bradley
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:29 AM   #2
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
I'm assuming these are the cover art images that the Kobo OS extracts from the epub to display in various scenarios. Last time I looked I believe it converts to a big greyscale version to display when the device is powered off, a small greyscale version to show on your bookshelf, and a small color version to show with the kobo apps on the iphone/smartphones.

The weird thing is these files don't seem to get removed when the book is deleted(at least with the "open" epubs we add to the device ourselves manually).
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
Ghoda
Enthusiast
Ghoda is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kobo for iPhone, Aluratek Libre
These are full colour png thumbnails used by Kobo in the I'm Reading / Books lists and as the Off Screen for the current book you're reading. The formats are as follows:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - bbMediumGridList.parsed - 93 x 135
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - iPhoneThumbnail.parsed - 103 x 150
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - NickelBookCover.parsed - 500 x 725

The xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx identifiers are stored in the ImageId column of the Content table in the SQLite DB - see this thread for more info
Ghoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:25 AM   #4
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi guys, yes these files are supposed to get removed but, like you, we've discovered they are not.

We'll try and get a fix in for this as soon as we can (but probably not in the next update). If you can identify the image files in the images folder, you can safely delete them. However, you should be careful not to delete the image files for any other books.

Thanks for bearing with us guys, we'll get the kinks worked out soon.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #5
spud357c
Enthusiast
spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Glo and Nook Color
Has this been fixed?
I've just noticed a lot of covers from sideloaded books that have been read and removed are remaining on my Glo.
Is there an easy way to clean these out?
spud357c is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It's not even been four years yet, how could you possibly expect Kobo to work that fast?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
It's not even been four years yet, how could you possibly expect Kobo to work that fast?
As the original message said, he deleted the books from his computer by deleting the books folder. To remove the books properly including cleaning up the database, you either need to delete the books from the Kobo ereader's GUI or by using Calibre on your computer (much faster for multiple books).

BTW, deleting books the way that techie42 did is a great way to generate a corrupted database.

BBTW. Exactly how do you manage to blame Kobo for not deleting files when the user does this from his computer?

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 03-18-2014 at 01:40 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud357c View Post
Has this been fixed?
I've just noticed a lot of covers from sideloaded books that have been read and removed are remaining on my Glo.
Is there an easy way to clean these out?
You might want to try Calibre with DavidFor's KoboUtilities which has an option for cleaning the image directory.

Regards,
David
Old 03-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As the original message said, he deleted the books from his computer by deleting the books folder. To remove the books properly including cleaning up the database, you either need to delete the books from the Kobo ereader's GUI or by using Calibre on your computer (much faster for multiple books).

BTW, deleting books the way that techie42 did is a great way to generate a corrupted database.

BBTW. Exactly how do you manage to blame Kobo for not deleting files when the user does this from his computer?

Regards,
David
I take it you didn't read post #4?
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I take it you didn't read post #4?
I did read post #4. Heck, I even replied to it with what, I hoped, would be some helpful information.

Since spud357c did not mention how he deleted the ebooks from his reader, neither you nor I can say if it is a Kobo issue or a PEBKAC issue.

There was an issue where deleting a book did not delete the image files when using the Kobo ereader's GUI. That was fixed in a later firmware release though I haven't tested lately to see if it has made a return. Long live the regression error! "I'll be back!"

Regards,
David
Old 03-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #11
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
"I'll be back!"
You need to work on your accent...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #12
spud357c
Enthusiast
spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Glo and Nook Color
Sorry I should have mentioned that the books were removed using the "remove book" option on the Kobo Glo.
spud357c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@spud357c:
What f/w level?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I just tried an experiment:

START
Spoiler:

Code:
dir *whiskers* /s 
Volume in drive K is KOBOeReader
 Volume Serial Number is 52F9-BD87

Directory of K:\.kobo-images\210\200

06/03/2014  10:38            30,710 file____mnt_onboard_Braun,_Lilian_Jackson_Jim_Qwilleran_Feline_Whodunnit_-_29_-_Cat_Who_Had_60_Whiskers,_The_epub - AndroidBookLoadTablet_Aspect.parsed
06/03/2014  10:38            40,290 file____mnt_onboard_Braun,_Lilian_Jackson_Jim_Qwilleran_Feline_Whodunnit_-_29_-_Cat_Who_Had_60_Whiskers,_The_epub - N3_FULL.parsed
06/03/2014  10:38             9,429 file____mnt_onboard_Braun,_Lilian_Jackson_Jim_Qwilleran_Feline_Whodunnit_-_29_-_Cat_Who_Had_60_Whiskers,_The_epub - N3_LIBRARY_GRID.parsed
06/03/2014  10:38            30,710 file____mnt_onboard_Braun,_Lilian_Jackson_Jim_Qwilleran_Feline_Whodunnit_-_29_-_Cat_Who_Had_60_Whiskers,_The_epub - N3_LIBRARY_FULL.parsed
               4 File(s)        111,139 bytes

Directory of K:\Braun, Lilian Jackson

06/03/2014  10:38           145,759 Jim Qwilleran Feline Whodunnit - 29 - Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers, The.epub
               1 File(s)        145,759 bytes

Total Files Listed:
               5 File(s)        256,898 bytes
               0 Dir(s)     262,545,408 bytes free

Removed ePub via menu from GLO
Reattached GLO to PC with Calibre shutdown

Spoiler:

Code:
K:\>dir *whisker* /s
 Volume in drive K is KOBOeReader
 Volume Serial Number is 52F9-BD87
File Not Found

So with current f/w on a GLO all parsed files associated with an ePub stored on internal storage were removed.

Last edited by PeterT; 03-18-2014 at 05:49 PM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #15
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The cover image files for books have always been removed correctly ever since I got my Glo (fw 2.1.5), but there may be other cover images associated with recommendations, and often the recommendations are for the same books that were sideloaded, so it might appear that there are still cover images for the deleted book when in fact they are for the recommendation which is still in the database.

There were some firmware versions where old recommendations did not get deleted, I discovered I had a couple of thousand cover images associated with old recommendations at one point. But you can use Calibre to delete the old recommendations, and they seem to be getting deleted automatically in the current 3.x.x firmwares.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote