Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 08:18 PM   #61
fuzzy_dunlop
Enthusiast
fuzzy_dunlop began at the beginning.

Device: none
Holding Out?

Again I am bit disappointed with Amazon, I think they are great company* but they always seem to be holding out. Competition is one thing, but it seems like the timing on this one means they must have been sitting on this update for a while.

Anyway, this now makes the Kindle vs. nook competition a bit more heated. For me it will probably come down to how well they display PDF's, still waiting on the nook reviews.

Solid PDF Support - Tie
Discounted ebooks (store) - Tie, advantage Kindle
Internationally available - Kindle
Affordable Price - Tie
Unfortunately DRM - Tie, advantage nook
Supports multiple formats - Tie, advantage nook
Unicode support - Tie, both no good
Open platform - nook
Web Browser - Kindle

* When Kindle was first released people who hadn't bought it wrote tons of bad reviews on Amazon.com about how paper books will never be replaced and I thought to myself, what an ethical company that doesn't delete bad reviews against it own products even when they probably have a right to.

Last edited by fuzzy_dunlop; 11-24-2009 at 08:22 PM.
fuzzy_dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #62
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Device: KindleDX, iPhone3Gs
Quote:
Originally Posted by smp_iliad View Post
Am I the only one the KDX update fails? Half way through the update, the message says "Update was not successful!". I did factory reset before running the update, but still the update fails...Anyone has a clue?
Ok, I'm answering myself.. The problem was related to PDF-browser-download hack. Only after uninstalling the hack, the update was successful. So amazon is aware of the hack and want to disable it with the new firmware. I confirmed that the hack no more updated to v2.3.
smp_iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #63
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgus View Post
PDF support is really nice but unfortunately there is no zoom function. Many pdf files I tried had small text and only with zoom I can read it. Neither landscape helped.

Is there any zoom function for pdf files which I haven't found ?
Looks to me they have just ported DX features to K2 (except K2 doesn't have hardware support to auto adjust orientation). So no zoom, no text reflow (no ADE/ePub/ACS...). At least now DX and K2 are on par in terms of their PDF support, or lack thereof.

As a K2 owner, that's welcome and useful enough, and will keep me from considering purchase of a non-Kindle dedicated reading device for the foreseeable future. Ultimately I believe I'll prefer a general-purpose, tablet device of some sort (Android, Windows7, or Apple) but I am going to be patient about choosing one.

I plan to create my own PDFs, formatted for K2's screen size. Mostly I want this so I can read non-Latin scripts on there (primarily Russian), and possibly some music stuff (chord charts, 'fake' book stuff etc.).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #64
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I tried the manual update using the (recently purchased) Kindle 2 Global Edition. It works exactly as advertised -- including the pdf thing. I did have my Home page filtered by "Books Only" and had to reset that to "All documents" to see the pdfs.

Search works with pdfs built on text. But switching to horizontal mode is pretty much required. Given the limited screen real estate, it's pretty solid.

If I were creating a pdf specifically for the device, I'd make sure the font was suitable for the screen. Since I create pdfs from word docs and use Primo pdf to "print", this will work really well for me.

UPDATE: I gave this a quick test using some genealogy software to generate a file. Setting the page size to "A5" -- which is abt 5 x 8 -- creates a presentable, readable document. Woo-hoo!

Last edited by SensualPoet; 11-24-2009 at 09:00 PM.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:49 PM   #65
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Anyone have the Kindle file for firmware v.2.03?

Does anyone have the file for version 2.03 and is willing to send to me? I updated my Kindle manually before understanding that the font hack and the screensaver hack would not go back on as it has other times a firmware update has occurred.

I have lived with this version 2.30 for a few hours and the text really is just to light. After having the font hack on my Kindle for so long, it really makes a difference in the readability of the Kindle, so if anyone has the old version bin and is willing to email to me, I would really appreciate it.

In the future, I won't be automatically upgrading unless (1) the font hack has been proven to work with the new firmware version OR (2) firmware delivering folders is sent out.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #66
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post

Does anyone have the file for version 2.03 and is willing to send to me? I updated my Kindle manually before understanding that the font hack and the screensaver hack would not go back on as it has other times a firmware update has occurred.

I have lived with this version 2.30 for a few hours and the text really is just to light. After having the font hack on my Kindle for so long, it really makes a difference in the readability of the Kindle, so if anyone has the old version bin and is willing to email to me, I would really appreciate it.

In the future, I won't be automatically upgrading unless (1) the font hack has been proven to work with the new firmware version OR (2) firmware delivering folders is sent out.
http://cde-g7g.amazon.com/FionaCDESe...ndle_2.0.3.bin

BTW, he's working on a new version of the font hack according to his site.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #67
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

THANKS!

Oak - thanks, I really appreciate it!

I just hope I can go back to the earlier version. We shall see!

Well, well - unless I am doing something completely wrong, doesn't appear I can go back to the older version of the firmware.

Last edited by chilady1; 11-24-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #68
zipzip
zipzip began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2.0
Question: I have version 2.0.3 on my Kindle That's not the same as 2.3, right?
zipzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:39 PM   #69
chilady1
I devour books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipzip View Post
Question: I have version 2.0.3 on my Kindle That's not the same as 2.3, right?
Correct - version 2.30 was just released today I believe.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #70
zipzip
zipzip began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2.0
Thanks. I guess I'll manually download it, then. (I never get the auto-updates until a week or two after everyone else... I think they go in alphabetical order or something.)
zipzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #71
chilady1
I devour books!

Remember....

if you really like the screensaver hack or font hack, these cannot be added back once you do the upgrade. I don't like how light the screen is now with having upgraded to 2.30 and it appears I cannot go back to the older version of the firmware, so I am stuck with this light font until a new font hack can be completed.

Just wanted to point this out to you before you go through the upgrade. I have heard from others they are waiting before upgrading. If this doesn't present a problem for you, then go for it! Good Luck!
Old 11-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #72
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Well, well - unless I am doing something completely wrong, doesn't appear I can go back to the older version of the firmware.
I was just reading in another thread that K updates are incremental so nope you can't go back.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #73
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipzip View Post
Thanks. I guess I'll manually download it, then. (I never get the auto-updates until a week or two after everyone else... I think they go in alphabetical order or something.)
You should change your psuedo to AAzipzip then you will get them first.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:49 PM   #74
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic
edge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2 International
Installed 2.3 on my Kindle International today. All the hacks still work!!!
edge777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:56 PM   #75
sergeykoren
sergeykoren began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
While ago, i've hacked my kindle 2 with version 2.01 and ufhack 01. Today tried to update firmware. Copied everything to the root folder, but option UPDATE still not available. What I did wrong? Thanks
sergeykoren is offline   Reply With Quote