Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-28-2016, 08:58 AM   #31
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Wrong way, Tigger. Square and PayPal swipe readers both plug into the headphone jack. Doing away with that form of connectivity would be a big middle-finger to not only accessory manufacturers and buyers, but a horde of small businesses.
The release of new hardware won't stop the old ones from working. Small business owners can upgrade at their leisure...in any case, purchasing a new lightning port based model would require a pretty small expenditure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaston View Post
Try streaming lossless files via bluetooth and you'll kiss goodbye to hearing anything with high fidelity.
True.

But going by the number of white earbuds and Beats headphones that I see everyday, high fidelity, high quality audio reproduction isn't something the mass market is particularly interested in anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Before long they will ditch on-device storage (except for OS) and insist all files etc be on cloud....
On-device storage is how they price differentiate their different models. I doubt they torpedo their margins to do that.

Last edited by Shane R; 01-28-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #32
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
As much as I like Bluetooth, my frustration with trying to get my Idevices to all connect to all my Bluetooth devices would actually prevent me from upgrading my iStuff until the other stuff is either worn out or apps that I depend on will no longer be upgraded. I don't use an Iphone (cheap flip phone is all I need), so my nanos and Itouches will carry me for some time. As mentioned, the biggest problem with holding onto older devices is outdated software.

I would be more concerned if they eliminated the usb port. Most of my music and a lot of audiobooks are not in the cloud but on CD which I transfer to my Istuff.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2016, 10:09 AM   #33
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
There will certainly be a lightning to 3.5mm adapter, just like there was a lightning to 30 pin, so I doubt this is an issue of much significance, beyond continuing to make me happy to not use iPhones.

By the way, as for "who would want to use a corded headphone," that'd be me, until there is a cordless option that is as light, and cheap as my little corded earphones, and that didn't have a yet another battery I needed to keep charged and eventually replace.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #34
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I refuse to use anything wireless, except for some obvious devices:

- Mobile phone
- Tablet
- Remote control
- Laptop Wifi (but I connect it to a 1GB patch panel if I REALLY need to move some stuff)

The only exception I'm making is a wireless mouse. I have been using wireless mice since the first Logitech Pilot mouse in 1995 (wow, 20 years already), and never had a problem. I dislike the cable that always pulls at the mouse.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:17 PM   #35
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane R View Post
...are 20 years or more out of the picture. Different times, different company.
so what does that have to do with "standards"?

I'm still using SCSI cables from different companies; they are SCSI II cables which are also standards NOW. Some people use SCSI III for their equipment & have read about people still using IDE cables with/without adapters.

Not everyone has money to burn to buy expensive apple products.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2016, 12:26 PM   #36
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
My solution is not to buy Apple products. I hadn't actively avoided them before, but if I can't plug in headphones, I may have to start actively avoiding them.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #37
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
The release of new hardware won't stop the old ones from working. Small business owners can upgrade at their leisure...in any case, purchasing a new lightning port based model would require a pretty small expenditure.

I followed your link and it is the model that needs the 3.5 connection.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1454003787116.png
Views:	278
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	145898
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:56 PM   #38
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I followed your link and it is the model that needs the 3.5 connection.
Attachment 145898

Yes. My point being that if a business owner decided to upgrade, he's not looking a large outlay of cash.

As far as I know and lightning one doesn't exist. And...this could all be rumors and the next iPhone does get released with a headphone jack.

No one knows.

Last edited by Shane R; 01-28-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #39
Shane R
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I dislike the cable that always pulls at the mouse.
I feel the same about headphone cables when I'm exercising. Otherwise, though, the cable doesn't annoy me.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:43 PM   #40
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I feel the same about headphone cables when I'm exercising. Otherwise, though, the cable doesn't annoy me.
If I exercised, I'd probably agree.
Seriously though, the only place the cords bother me is when I want to listen in bed, and I now have a pair of wireless SleepPhones for that. They stay by my bedside and charge when not in use.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #41
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Once you commit to Bluetooth it's easy to imagine a phone with no plugs. I have a good BT speaker that I move to whatever room I need it in, as well as BT headphones and BT on my car stereo. I would not willingly go back to wired devices - I know the batteries will eventually need replacement but I seem to be hard on wires. I've replaced way too many headphones because they got a short in one of the wires.

I think all of those output devices should retain the ability to plug in a music source via headphone jack, but I would applaud Apple if they made a sealed waterproof phone that had no plugs at all.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #42
Shane R
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
I would not willingly go back to wired devices - I know the batteries will eventually need replacement but I seem to be hard on wires. I've replaced way too many headphones because they got a short in one of the wires.
Huh. That's absolutely true, and I never really thought about it.

My last cell phone far outlived several connection cables and at least one pair of headphones that went bad or had shorts in them.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:55 PM   #43
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
They probably have new APIs coming out for iOS 10 that deal with Bluetooth latency issues. I don't think they'd do it otherwise.

Also:

- Half of people using iPhones haven't upgraded to the iPhone 6 or 6S apparently.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/26/10...s-upgrade-rate

- Apple thinks this is the first year iPhone sales will go down.

Another thing to think about is that there is already a very big headphone market. Saying that people are just going to dump their existing EarPods leaves out the fact that people are probably already going through many pairs of cheap headphones and have for years. Beats stuff has been known to break constantly too.

I'd rather have a headphone jack too, but I'm biased because I haven't tried any of the wireless options either.

I want an adapter anyway because my headphones don't work with my ClamCase Pro.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:30 PM   #44
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
...are 20 years or more out of the picture. Different times, different company.
SCSI cables come in more versions than just the old 50 pin, SCSI(1).

SCSI2 and SCSI3
USB comes in many levels
SATA comes in many levels

But the topic is earphone jacks.
While Apple may not use it, Motorola used the earphone cord as the antenna for OTA FM radio (You can not listen to FM on the Blu tooth)

IMHO one of the reasons they want to ditch Analog outputs: They have no DRM block capability
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:23 PM   #45
Shane R
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
IMHO one of the reasons they want to ditch Analog outputs: They have no DRM block capability
DRM went away from the music store in 2009.