Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-22-2015, 05:25 PM   #46
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
MSO 2007 works great on Win10
As long as MSO 2003 works too I will upgrade. I use that on Windows 8.1
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:26 PM   #47
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Isn't free a good reason?
To change the SO and reinstall all the software only because the new SO is free? Not at all (ni de coña)
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2015, 05:33 PM   #48
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
What is wrong with, say, AVG Free? It is quite highly rated...
Except trying to get it without using Download.com

Quote:
The difference is of course that when GNOME3 got justified critique (for existing) I could and did ditch in a heartbeat for MATE/Cinnamon, with Windows it is, um, difficult, to change your desktop environment.

And I am actually grateful for the GNOME3 screwup, because I never would have noticed Cinnamon otherwise (or not for a while anyway) and I actually think it is better than GNOME2 which I also loved.
+1
Gnome2 was good
Cinnamon is
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:45 PM   #49
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwdoo View Post
The system requirements for 10 will likely be less than for 7. Windows 8.x already runs more efficiently than 7. If your machine runs 7 well it should run 10 just fine if not better.
Look, brass tacks: it is a laptop from late 2009 that just doesn't have the chops to run satisfactorily at this point. Primarily because my expectations for what "runs well" means has changed, but also because it is just aging hardware. Much of the hardware stopped receiving driver updates years ago, even from the reference provider or manufacturers.

I'd rather purchase a new machine for Windows 10. The preview builds that they have released thus far for 10 (yes, I know that pre-release code may be missing a lot of optimization, so don't tell me) run like absolute butt on it, but it is the only Windows machine that I have at this point, so I keep it around for testing purposes.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:19 PM   #50
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
That is why minimum hardware requirements exist before you can install a retail purchased copy of the OS...
We were talking about a free upgrade, not a purchase. If an XP user sees a free upgrade to the latest OS, he might not exercise due diligence in his excitement.
Quote:
Any bad press would exist if they were allowed to install retail copies of Win10 on PCs without the minimum specs.
Well, a product offered for free would have more adopters than if the same product were to be paid for. Hence the likelihood of more disappointed XP users if it were offered for free, and more complainers as a result.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2015, 06:21 PM   #51
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Except trying to get it without using Download.com
Here you go: Official Website
Download button sends you to their official host: CNET hosts AVG Free <-- No bundleware here.

AVG wants you to use their product.

Quote:
+1
Gnome2 was good
Cinnamon is
:squee:

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-22-2015 at 06:27 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:23 PM   #52
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
We were talking about a free upgrade, not a purchase. If an XP user sees a free upgrade to the latest OS, he might not exercise due diligence in his excitement.

Well, a product offered for free would have more adopters than if the same product were to be paid for. Hence the likelihood of more disappointed XP users if it were offered for free, and more complainers as a result.
What precisely is your point?

Whether a retail copy or a free upgrade, they will still be told, when they try to install:
Quote:
Hardware Requirements for running Windows 10:

Your hardware is not capable of running Windows 10. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-22-2015 at 06:25 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:41 PM   #53
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
As long as MSO 2003 works too I will upgrade. I use that on Windows 8.1
If it works on 8, I'll just about guarantee that it'll work on 10. I have yet to see a program that works on win7 & not on win10.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:55 PM   #54
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
It seems that some posters are already using Win10, is that right?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:56 PM   #55
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
What precisely is your point?

Whether a retail copy or a free upgrade, they will still be told, when they try to install:
Yes, I overlooked that.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:27 PM   #56
hardcastle
Zealot
hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Gray Kindle Basic
The upgrade from 8 to 8.1 gave me a small performance increase, just as 7 to 8 did. I don't use Windows for much, but I'll probably give Windows 10 a try.
hardcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:51 PM   #57
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
It seems that some posters are already using Win10, is that right?
I'm running the technical preview, yes.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:57 PM   #58
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
It took me a while, but I warmed to Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 was an improvement on that. I'll no doubt switch to Win 10, but not today.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:22 PM   #59
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
I didn't have to relearn anything, Windows 10 is like 7 & 8 combined, you get the best of both worlds. And there is no motive for MS to spy on you like google does, because most of the data google collects is for their massive Adwords advertizing business.
No, but that's not to say Microsoft doesn't have any motives with this. Ultimately they want more people to us the Windows store. They may not get every Windows user to buy from it like they wanted to... that was basically the whole point of W8's "modern" interface... but they're not going to give up on it entirely.

Last edited by Dylrob; 01-22-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:39 PM   #60
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I haven't actually warmed to Windows 8.1 but was too lazy to install Windows 7 on my Surface Pro 3.

I did install windows 10 preview on my old clunker of a laptop in a virtual machine and it seems okay, but I wasn't excited enough to bother on my tablet or desktop.

My biggest issue was that it is a limited time release so maybe I will get crazy one of these days.

My other issue is the switching to subscription software that Microsoft is doing and the constant updates that seem endless.

Plus Microsoft that a user should be logged into their Microsoft account to have the best user experience. I haven't noticed any difference either way, but that is what they tell you

A couple of weeks ago I kept getting pop ups telling me my Windows 7 wasn't valid and to use their validator tool when ever I rebooted. My software is valid and the validator tool would whirl away for hours and then say try again. Wasn't too bad, only came up once per reboot, so I ignored it because I was too sick to want to deal with it.

Went away on its own after another software update.

I don't blame them for wanting people to pay for the software, or make more money on subscription services as opposed to selling the software outright, but I have vague forebodings about the direction this is heading.

Still I will most likely running Windows 10 on all of my computers in the near future. I don't need to be state of the art, but I like to be fairly current.

And I am often tempted by shiny new things. Must have some crow ancestors.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote