Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-22-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Replacing the contentlister

The contentlister is one thing i really do not like. Do you think it would be possible, to replace it with a java component?

I would like to see the following features:
- See what page you are currently on.
- mark a book read/unread
- automark a book read, when you reach the last page.
- have an indicator, which shows if you have scribbled on a document.
- sort by readstate, alphabet, date
- hide (read/unread/no scribbles ...)
- choose different item sizes. 6 is too little for me. And the filenames should show more characters.
- have a comment area, were you can leave text notes.
- remeber last read files from different media cards and display them as last read, once the card is reinserted.

there is probably more that i can think of. But that are a few things i would really like to see.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I don't see why the content lister couldn't be replaced. A new content lister could be set to auto-start in the start.sh script. I'd like to sort by author's name, too, but I suppose that would only work for OPF or other files that have that metadata. Or you'd have to input it manually.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
One additional feature that would be very nice for a new contentlister: In large directory trees, it's currently a pain to go down three levels, because you have to wait for the screen to refresh each time.

I'd like the current directory listed as a set of buttons, so that you can simply tap a button and go automatically to that level. Users of Ubuntu will know what I mean: the default file browser does this.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Another thing:
- use bibtex file for metadata
Old 05-22-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
I already have a content lister in Java, its what I boot into directly when I do my Java boot test: cuts the iLiad boot time nearly in half.

I'd love to replace all the heavy weight Matchbox UI stuff with nice light weight threaded Java widgets but iRex has the Java restricted from drawing into the Matchbox UI area on the screen.

As for doing a straight up slow boot contentLister replacement: the Java ability to execute native applications always returns IO Error when you invoke it.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
I already have a content lister in Java, its what I boot into directly when I do my Java boot test: cuts the iLiad boot time nearly in half.
As always, you are one step ahead.

Quote:
As for doing a straight up slow boot contentLister replacement: the Java ability to execute native applications always returns IO Error when you invoke it.
Hmm, thats a bummer. Guess we can have a java contentlister then, but not a contentstarter.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:00 PM   #7
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Actually I launch the Java based viewers no problemo.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:15 AM   #8
Henry Loenwind
Enthusiast
Henry Loenwind is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Now that problem is easy to work around: Write the command into a temp file and exit, then extend the start.sh to call that temp file then loop.

Ummm, didn't that old dosshell thing use this technique?
Henry Loenwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #9
scotty1024
Banned

Actually I now have a rshd running and use that to execute commands for Java.

I'd rather they just fix Runtime.exec(...).

http://www.linuxcommand.org/man_pages/rshd8.html
Old 05-28-2007, 05:08 PM   #10
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Hey, Scotty!

Very cool work you're doing, by the way. I wish I knew anything about Java so I could understand it.

Any chance you could post a copy of your Java contentlister to try out? I was recently trying to port Thunar as a new contentlister, but it's got a long load time and I got bogged down with display issues... I only chose Thunar because I like the UI design.

If you'd post whatever you've got in Java, I'd love to play with the UI, as I have some ideas on that front... not to mention, since I have zero experience with Java, playing with the source might be a good place to start learning.

Thanks, as always!
Old 05-29-2007, 11:41 AM   #11
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
Quote:
I'd rather they just fix Runtime.exec(...).
The answer from TAO on this question (that we've raised during our development as well):

Quote:
As well as providing a JVM intent is a platform in its own right. It is possible to write intent software in C/C++ or VP (virtual
processor) assembler that will run unchanged on any platform supported by intent (i.e. it is binary portable).

intent's Runtime.exec() will run intent programs (i.e. software written for the intent virtual processor and compiled by the intent compiler).

intent's Runtime.exec() will NOT run Linux programs.

The best way for your system to get XXX would be to write a small Linux library function in C and call it using JNI.
It will not get you much further, but at least make it a bit clearer.

Edit: you may be able to fork off a process from the C lib and call that using JNI...
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:49 AM   #12
scotty1024
Banned

The code is setup to be used as contentLister by hacking start.sh to start it instead of the iRex stuff.

My major concern with posting it is that iRex still hasn't released the !@#$ field re-flash tool and someone might try to use the code to get the fast boot times and brick their iLiad in the process...

I have a Java email viewer coming in the next couple of days that is an add on to the existing kit of viewers. I've written it from scratch with an eye to e-Ink usage and small memory foot print. It is also an excellent example of using all the buttons to produce a UI on the iLiad using Java.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:57 AM   #13
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs
The answer from TAO on this question (that we've raised during our development as well):

Edit: you may be able to fork off a process from the C lib and call that using JNI...
Thanks Matthijs. I'll get it put together. I was treading water with rshd until I found out what the official answer was going to be.

I was looking at doing some JNI to get at L2CAP to get JSR-82 up as well... Java provides a much lighter weight Bluetooth stack than the current Linux environment.

Edit: the aventana JSR-82 Linux project looks very possible for Intent and BlueZ on the iLiad. I've proviously had BlueZ and the Belkin FBT012 adaptor working on the iLiad.

Last edited by scotty1024; 05-29-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:59 AM   #14
jharker
Developer

Quote:
The code is setup to be used as contentLister by hacking start.sh to start it instead of the iRex stuff.

My major concern with posting it is that iRex still hasn't released the !@#$ field re-flash tool and someone might try to use the code to get the fast boot times and brick their iLiad in the process...
Oh, I see. Yes, that's a reasonable concern. Would it be possible for you to PM me a link?
Quote:
I have a Java email viewer coming in the next couple of days that is an add on to the existing kit of viewers. I've written it from scratch with an eye to e-Ink usage and small memory foot print. It is also an excellent example of using all the buttons to produce a UI on the iLiad using Java.
Very, very cool.

Edit: You mentioned earlier (perhaps in another thread) that Java on the iLiad is proscribed from writing to the toolbar region. Now, bear in mind that I know nothing about Java, so this may be a stupid suggestion, but... in C, using GTK, you can make a fullscreen call and Matchbox will hide the toolbars for you. However, if Java is still prevented from actually writing to that part of the screen, I guess that wouldn't help...?

Last edited by jharker; 05-29-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:29 PM   #15
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs

I looked into getting a full Runtime.exec(...) but alas the details for how to create java.io.InputStream and java.io.OutputStream to a given Linux FD are a mystery.

The basic problem is with java.io.FileDescriptor, there is no obvious way to create one from JNI with the FD set correctly.