Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #16
bigpallooka
Connoisseur
bigpallooka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo/Tablet PC/Desktop/Laptop
Slightly off topic but:
I have a few LIT ebooks that are complete when viewed in Microsoft Reader but when added to calibre are short several pages. The conversion to EPUB is identical (missing pages) as are the HTML files generated by the Debug process Can anyone suggest a method of extracting the text outside Calibre as I'm assuming that there is a problem with the file that Calibre cannot overcome. They are old and mostly converted to lit with a MS Word plug-in.
bigpallooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #17
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
There are some Lit files that Calibre doesn't fully support. You could try opening a bug with an example, but my understanding is that there has been no development in the Lit input plugin for a long time, and unless a motivated developer picks it up not much improvement should be expected.

You could try using ConvertLit to see if it does any better, but in general I see Calibre is more effective than ConvertLit.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 10:28 PM   #18
bigpallooka
Connoisseur

I'll look at some other converting apps. I read somewhere else on the forum that the individual who developed the LIT input/output part of the program is no longer active. I specifically use LIT to convert to EPUB (when I don't have an EPUB first) because it is the recommended format for conversion. The FAQ or help file places the different extensions in order of best for conversion to worst and LIT is listed first.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #19
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You've downloaded a poor copy of Dead Girls Are Easy By Terri Garey.
Yep - after more searching I found a different source, this time in HTML, but the same bug was present :-(
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #20
bigpallooka
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
Yep - after more searching I found a different source, this time in HTML, but the same bug was present :-(
The internet is a remarkably small world and especially so when you are talking the ... ahem ... sources many use to obtain ebooks. Over and over again I have searched for different versions of problem books only to find that irrespective of the format the same specific issue is present. Obviously, the same scan is being re-hashed into different formats.

I figured that I would use the novel approach of actually buying a copy of them and found out why most of them circulate with errors included. You just can't get them! Back to the old sources.
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #21
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpallooka View Post

I figured that I would use the novel approach of actually buying a copy of them and found out why most of them circulate with errors included. You just can't get them! Back to the old sources.
you too - I was looking recently for an allegedly best selling/paranormal detective series by Phil Rickman ( Merilly Watkins) - we'd just finished a 2nd hand paper copy of vol 10 - the latest I think - & I thought it would be good to actually go back to vol 1 & read them in the right order. So I check amazon books & amazon kindle - 6 of 10 books are out of print & kindle copies do not exist!

there has to be a case sooner or later for publishers to sell e-book series as sets, at a sensible price, rather than individual volumes ( like buying an album of songs & not a single)

where there is a series that has run to 30+ & counting e.g. Piers Antony Xanth, there's no way most folks will buy the set as 30+ individual e-purchases but a well discounted complete set , as a single download, would be tempting
Old 10-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #22
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpallooka View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I have bought many more books since owning an ereader then I ever did before. I have even bought books to fill in series when the version I had obtained from questionable sources was not to my liking.

But a quick search of my external drive found the book the OP referred to in 5 different versions, none of which had his errors.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:20 AM   #23
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
But a quick search of my external drive found the book the OP referred to in 5 different versions, none of which had his errors.
Hmmm - "sources" come & go. I'm pretty good at finding stuff so I doubt there's still 5 different live ones, unless they are on old networks I no longer use - like emule / edonkey .

anyway - fixed now via .rtf / word as described above or elsewhere.

the valid ? were all followed by a close quote, the invalid ones were not, so I was able to use multiple find / replace all passes.