Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 08-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #256
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished Engaging the Enemy, moving on to Command Decision, number 4 in the series (there are 5 total). The reader has finally blended into the background. Still not a favourite, but I can ignore her. Though I _really_ wish she would us a more normal voice for Grace Vatta.

The story line continues, with the Vatta family starting to finally get its act together and move forward without a lot of interfamily wrangling. I'm enjoying the Mac Roberts character (no surprise) and that whole story arc.
Finished Command Decision and now listening to the final book in the series, Victory Conditions. While I've enjoyed this series, it ultimately hasn't really stood the test of time nearly as well as many of Ms. Moon's other books (the entire Paks oeuvre, for example), and the reader is just not a pleasure to listen to at any time, though I've gotten used to her. My overall rating for the series is a lukewarm 3 out of 5, and that's a stretch. I can't imagine any circumstance that would have me re-reading these again, either in Audible or conventional form.

If you were thinking of listening to these books, let me rather suggest Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan saga, available on Audible and read by Grover Gardner. Better (and funnier) books, and a FAR better reader.

Last edited by CRussel; 08-13-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Added Link to Audible
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #257
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I see that Stephen Brust's Taltos series is now on Audible. I got the first one, Jhereg. Now two of my favorite series (Zelazny's Amber series and Brust's Talttos series) are out in audible books, but not in ebooks. Now all I need is Feist's early Rift War books.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #258
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished Command Decision and now listening to the final book in the series, Victory Conditions. While I've enjoyed this series, it ultimately hasn't really stood the test of time nearly as well as many of Ms. Moon's other books (the entire Paks oeuvre, for example), and the reader is just not a pleasure to listen to at any time, though I've gotten used to her. My overall rating for the series is a lukewarm 3 out of 5, and that's a stretch. I can't imagine any circumstance that would have me re-reading these again, either in Audible or conventional form.

If you were thinking of listening to these books, let me rather suggest Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan saga, available on Audible and read by Grover Gardner. Better (and funnier) books, and a FAR better reader.
Finished Victory Conditions. My opinion hasn't changed.

Now reading Carousel Tides by Sharon Lee, read by Elisabeth Rogers. I've read this book in eBook format, but coming back to listen to it. Even though this is completely NOT related to Ms. Lee's Liaden Universe(r) series which is co-authored with Steve Miller, I'm reading this book now to get me ready for the mega-release on September 4th of the entire Liaden Universe series of books on Audible.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #259
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Finished listening to American Gods by Neil Gaiman, narrated by George Guidall. Strange book, but entertaining.

I have now started Welcome to Bordertown, an anthology edited by Ellen Kushner and Holly Black. The stories are all set in Bordertown, which is located at the border between elfland and the real world.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #260
JohnGalt
Enthusiast
JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Currently listening to Rafael Sabatini's The Tavern Knight from Librivox. I love Sabatini and was delighted to see another work was now on there. I wholeheartedly reccomend Sabatini's the Seahawk to anyone looking for a great adventure story.

The most enjoyable audiobooks I have ever listened to were The Count of Monte Cristo as read by John Lee (really did a fantastic job reading this) and the Once and Future King as read by Neville Jason (didn't care for the pro-global-government rhetoric, but the story was fantastic, and much of the philosophy that's worked in is insightfull and engaging, even if not entirely convincing.)

Last edited by JohnGalt; 08-21-2012 at 11:58 PM.
JohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:09 AM   #261
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Just listened to The Hot Zone by Richard Preston. It was frightening and pumped me adrenaline in my bed!
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #262
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexutix View Post
Just listened to The Hot Zone by Richard Preston. It was frightening and pumped me adrenaline in my bed!
I have that book sitting on my shelf halfway read. I've enjoyed what I've read so far, how was the narration?
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #263
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Just finished Zelazny's first Amber book. Very well done.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:49 AM   #264
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Finished All Clear by Connie Willis. This is the second part of her two part novel about three historians who get stuck during the London Blitz. It's the second time I listened to it and I found it just as enjoyable as the first time around. Katherine Kellgren is a great narrator and the story gave her the chance to play to all her strengths.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #265
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
I just finished listening to 'Killing Rommel' by Steven Pressfield. It is about the British forces operating in the desert behind German lines in North Africa during the period of Fall 1942 - early Spring 1943. The story reads almost like a documentary rather than a typical novel and goes into a lot of detail describing the desert, their equipment, and the physical hardships the men had to endure. I am not a hard-core fan of war novels, probably reading something fiction or non-fiction about either the first or second World Wars once or twice a year. This story was well-done and focused on an area of the war I have seldom read about before. On the whole, I would say I enjoyed it and would give it thumbs up for anyone interest in straight up war stories.

This book is narrated by the actor Alfred Molina. He does a good job of just disappearing into the background and letting the story shine through. As a sidebar, Molina happened to come up in conversation with someone at work this week. 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' is about to be rereleased into the theaters in IMAX. My friend mentioned to be sure to watch for a much younger Molina, who has a small part during the opening sequence. So I mentioned in turn the coincidence of how I was currently listening to a book being narrator by him.

Next up - I have just started listening to the fourth book in the 'Royal Spyness' series: 'Royal Blood' by Rhys Bowen. This a light-weight, fluffy series of books set in 1932 about a girl who is 36th in line for the British throne who continually gets caught up in murders of one sort or another. Not much ever seems to happen in any of theses stories, yet they keep drawing me back. Perhaps it is how good the author is at conjuring up a feeling you really are in England in the 1930s mingling with the British upper-crust and royalty. Or perhaps it is simply the narrator, Katherine Kellgren. I enjoy listening to her voice and British accent.

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #266
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA View Post
[snip]Next up - I have just started listening to the fourth book in the 'Royal Spyness' series: 'Royal Blood' by Rhys Bowen. This a light-weight, fluffy series of books set in 1932 about a girl who is 36th in line for the British throne who continually gets caught up in murders of one sort or another. Not much ever seems to happen in any of theses stories, yet they keep drawing me back. Perhaps it is how good the author is at conjuring up a feeling you really are in England in the 1930s mingling with the British upper-crust and royalty. Or perhaps it is simply the narrator, Katherine Kellgren. I enjoy listening to her voice and British accent.

Duane
I listened to the first one of hers and loved it. The narrator really did add to the enjoyment of a fun, fluff story. I need to get the rest of them; thanks for reminding me.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #267
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Re: Royal Spyness series -- I tried to like this series, read the first one, and even started the second one, but it just didn't work for me finally. Goodness knows I love fluff and cozy, but in the end, it just wasn't good enough.

Meanwhile, still reading Carousel Tides by Sharon Lee, read by Elisabeth Rodgers. And very much enjoying it. Well read, with a believable Maine accent (at least to this non-Maine resident).
Old 08-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #268
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I mostly listen while doing yard and house work, so that may have had something to do with how much I liked it. Anything to make those jobs less boring. I haven't read the books and don't know if I would like them as much, but the audio, while doing yard/house work was fun.

I haven't started anything new and still deciding what to listen to while driving back and forth to work. I've been listening to music, while driving, for a change.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #269
CRussel
(he/him/his)

@dreams: Well, if you're looking for something to listen to in the car, can I suggest the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian? The unabridged readings by Patrick Tull are exceptional and the Simon Vance versions are quite acceptable, though I don't think they're quite up to Mr. Tull's versions. (But listen to the samples to decide which you prefer, certainly.) Even if you've read this series as conventional books, they make excellent Audible books as well. And you have 21 books in the series, so it will keep you occupied for quite a while.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #270
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Aubrey–Maturin series. Thanks for the recommendation. They do sound interesting and I will have to check the samples, especially since I had recently read:

Napoleon's Pyramids by William Dietrich - another mystery adventure quest story and the second one of these that I am really enjoying. The story of Napoleon's campaign in Egypt along with the quest for what the medallion represents makes the story more believable.
Spoiler:
From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. At the start of Dietrich's superb historical thriller, his swashbuckling hero, American Ethan Gage, who's living in Paris during the waning days of the French Revolution and was once apprenticed to Benjamin Franklin, wins a curious Egyptian medallion in a card game. Soon after, he's set upon by thieves, chased by the police, attacked by bandits, befriended by Gypsies, saved by a British spy and then packed off to join Napoleon's army as it embarks on its ill-fated Egyptian campaign. There the story really heats up. Once in Egypt, Gage finds himself beset by evildoers bent on stealing the mysterious medallion. As in previous novels like Hadrian's Wall and Scourge of God, Dietrich combines a likable hero surrounded by a cast of fascinating historical characters. Riveting battle scenes, scantily clad women, mathematical puzzles, mysteries of the pharaohs, reckless heroism, hairsbreadth escapes and undaunted courage add up to unbeatable adventure rivaling the exploits of George Macdonald Fraser's Harry Flashman. Readers will cheer as the indomitable Gage floats off in a runaway hot-air balloon, hard on the trail of his next exotic undertaking. Author tour. (Feb.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations