Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #31
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I would appreciate more levels of gray on some of the book covers. But then, I don't look at them very long. Certainly if your book has illustrations, more levels of gray and even color would be nice. Pretty quickly, though, you step outside of what a Kobo is designed to be.

BTW, had two people talk to me about my Kobo while in line at Costco today. Didn't get much reading done.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #32
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... You're missing 8 levels of gray ...

If one desired detailed screens of photos and drawings, then they didn't purchase a Kobo. But if they desired to read book that are offered as text (grin), they will be pleased with a Kobo.

(Gawd, why do I feel so DEFENSIVE about my little ole Kobo?)

I wasn't going to post this in public ... But I walked out of the house yesterday to take my wife to an appointment. I intentionally left my phone, iPod touch, MiFi 2200, and computer at home. But took my Kobo in its DVD case case. Although I did experience a brief period of increased heartrate realizing that I was not "connected," I actually got a couple of chapters read on the Kobo. It was peaceful ... quiet ...

(grin)

Clint
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:54 AM   #33
goinveg
Enthusiast
goinveg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Entourage eDGe DualBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Why hasn't the amphibious car/boat ever caught on? People keep making 'em, but they never make it because they're a mediocre car and a mediocre boat and not enough people want both in one vehicle. I'm not saying that that's what the iPad is, but that's what it is to me.

To each his own, of course!
And now we have the Terrafugia Transition - the flying car or roadable airplane.
goinveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:05 AM   #34
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>> ... You're missing 8 levels of gray ...

If one desired detailed screens of photos and drawings, then they didn't purchase a Kobo. But if they desired to read book that are offered as text (grin), they will be pleased with a Kobo.

(Gawd, why do I feel so DEFENSIVE about my little ole Kobo?)

I wasn't going to post this in public ... But I walked out of the house yesterday to take my wife to an appointment. I intentionally left my phone, iPod touch, MiFi 2200, and computer at home. But took my Kobo in its DVD case case. Although I did experience a brief period of increased heartrate realizing that I was not "connected," I actually got a couple of chapters read on the Kobo. It was peaceful ... quiet ...

(grin)

Clint

WHAT???

You actually left home without being connected to the outside world....then....then...you read a book on a non-connectible device?

Crikey, I need a Prozac....
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #35
greypanther
greypanther began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I don't like my Kobo, I love it. I've only had it a week and don't know how I managed without it. The reason I bought it was because of its simplicity and lack of bells and whistles. It's easy on the eyes, there's no way I could have read for four hours the other night (trying to finish a book) using an lcd screen.

Also I am an Aussie who loves SciFi and it's really hard to get hold of here. Thanks to a link here I've found Baen Books, and will be spending a lot of money there when I have finished their freebies.

So thankyou Kobo and MobileRead
greypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #36
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Baen is the single biggest and best thing for ebooks, especially SF fans. They lead the way. It is a pity other publishers cannot see that.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:37 AM   #37
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I want a Kobo with the screen clarity and whiteness of the nook. Right now the Kobo is basically on par with the Sony 505 except that it has bluetooth. I can't justify upgrading for just bluetooth but add in a better e-ink screen and I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Even if you don't take into consideration pictures, a 16 level gray e-ink screen has a better contrast ratio and therefore even more book-like eye easyness.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #38
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
At greypanther:

Also checkout feedbooks.com they have tons of old 50s SciFi for free, manybooks.net is also a great site with pleanty of free scifi books.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #39
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

I figure my Kobo is going to be used 99.999% of the time for reading novels. Except for Vonnegut's "Breakfast of Champions", I can't think of any novel where images were an integral part of the experience. And frankly, the pictures in that book could be done with 1 level of gray - and if you've read the book then you know what I'm talking about, otherwise I'm not going to describe them (and if you've read the book you know why not).
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #40
pleochroic
pleochroic began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, OLPC XO
i would like more gray levels because some of the art/crafts books i read could really use it. but for graphic novels/manga the screen and resolution aren't good enough anyway. i'll live.

i like the kobo because it does what i want a bare-bones ereader to do, it does it well enough, and at a price i could justify to myself. it's light enough to hold for long periods of time, i can take it with me anywhere, it's robust enough to survive falling off my bed, i LIKE the muted contrast of the e-INK screen, the page turn is fast enough, i don't seem to press a lot of buttons accidentally, it feels good in my hand, and it even looks good. the OS is linux -- the mere possibility for hackery always makes me happy, because if the manufacturer were to let us down, we can roll our own.

generally i like specialized gadgets over one-gizmo-does-it-all. if it fails (and they all do), i've only lost one function. i also don't like bloat -- wifi isn't necessary on my ereader because i manage my e-library on my computer anyway. one of my friends rhapsodizes about how cool it is that she can buy a book directly on her kindle while she's out lunching somewhere in manhattan -- more power to her, but i can wait til i get home.

the kobo is not my ideal e-reader; that one doesn't exist yet. it will have all sorts of bells and whistles; basically be a library and research tool, with online connecticity, search, highlighting, annotating, dictionary lookup, quote-collecting, etc.

that's not what i bought the kobo for. i bought it to replace my paperbacks. it's doing pretty well at that.
pleochroic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #41
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
I think Kobo must have realised they've hit a winner with the whole simple ereader concept. This thread, and indeed the whole Kobo forum is awash with people who appreciate the idea of a simple and relatively inexpensive device that just reads books. I really like my Kobo but I'm not going to ignore the fact that it needs a bit more refinement to fully realise its potential. I'd like to think that within 6 months we'll be able to look back at these teething problems and laugh.
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #42
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleochroic View Post
I bought it to replace my paperbacks. it's doing pretty well at that.

Completely agree with everything you mentioned, well said!
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #43
greypanther
greypanther began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
At greypanther:

Also checkout feedbooks.com they have tons of old 50s SciFi for free, manybooks.net is also a great site with pleanty of free scifi books.
Thanks a lot for those links they look very promising. At this rate I may never need to buy a book again (except for Baen of course)
greypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #44
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinveg View Post
And now we have the Terrafugia Transition - the flying car or roadable airplane.
The Terrafugia looks pretty cool! Now if it just worked as a submarine, too, they could call it SuperCar!

I'm thinking of trading in my Prius for a Bobcat Utility Vehicle. It'll get me to work like the car will, and you can get bucket, mower, pallet fork, snow blade and push broom attachments! Why buy a car that just does one thing when you can get a vehicle that does so much more for only a few times the cost?
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:22 AM   #45
cas67
cas67 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
But the "non-connectivity" of the Kobo is an attractive "feature" to me.
me too. i don't need or want wifi or 3g or any other network connection on my ebook reader.

as you say, they would only serve as a distraction from reading.

also, without networking i can be certain that there's no phone-home spyware tracking what i read or where i am (if the unit had a GPS built in, or by using IP geolocation) and building up a profile on me for spamming purposes.

and there's no possibility of books being deleted remotely as happened with 1984 on the kindle.

that said, i expect i'll be buying a tablet device sometime in the next 6-12 months....waiting for the glut of linux/android based ARM cpu devices that are rumoured to be coming out soon. but i'll be using that for other things, not just reading books. and i probably won't stick with the manufacturer's firmware, i'll replace it with the best available open source alternative (which will, of course, require carefully selecting a brand/model that allows that - i won't buy one that doesn't).
cas67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
features, kobo