Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-27-2020, 05:24 PM   #1
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
What's coming in 1-2 years for ereaders? Any reason to upgrade my Kindle PW4?

I have a jailbroken PW4 that works great, no issues whatsoever. I am loving koreader and native epub support and I think going forward I'd like to leave the Amazon walled garden for the lands of Kobo.

But, as I compared what I have to the Kobo Libra h20 and Forma the only thing I'd really be gaining are buttons (I really do like the idea of physical buttons), and a +1" or +2" screen.

Since what I have is great for me now and since I do have a large library of audible books I can access/need to read, I'm wondering what the real benefit to upgrading would be.

Any thoughts? Any suggestions on realistic upgrades Kobo (or a different manufacturer) might make in the next 1-2 years that would be worth upgrading for?

As it stands now, I'm not sure the 1-2" screen difference and physical buttons are enough to justify a $100-200 upgrade fee (after selling my PW4).

Bonus: If I ever did still my jailbroken kindle, is there a way to do it on this forum? I feel people might appreciate it more here than ebay and it seems like it's not possible to do so any longer.
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:33 PM   #2
arooni
Addict

In addition, are there any former Kindle users who moved to Kobo Libra H20 and loved it? I think if I did switch from what I'm currently reading on it would be to this device. Seems to hit the sweet spot of screen size and oasis like functionality without breaking the bank
Advert
Old 02-27-2020, 05:49 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post
In addition, are there any former Kindle users who moved to Kobo Libra H20 and loved it?
I love my Libra. I still like and use my Kindles too (the Oases, never had any of the Paperwhites), but the Libra is more comfy from the ergonomic viewpoint. So I tend to use it more. It's pretty heavily patched, as I didn't particularly like the default Kobo experience.

For me going from a 6'' screen to a 7'' screen (from the Kindle Voyage to the Kindle Oasis in 2017) was a really great experience. I no longer want to read on a 6'' screen. OTOH anything bigger than 7'' is a bit too big for me. 7'' is the sweet spot.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:43 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Bonus: If I ever did still my jailbroken kindle, is there a way to do it on this forum? I feel people might appreciate it more here than ebay and it seems like it's not possible to do so any longer.
If you ever decide to sell, scroll down to the flea market forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=124
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:09 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
In addition, are there any former Kindle users who moved to Kobo Libra H20 and loved it?
I switched from a PW2 to a Kindle DXG then to a PW3. PW3 to H2O original. Then I bought a PW3 when the PW4 came out, as I'd given the other one to my wife. I use it for testing. I subsequently was given a B008 keyboard for testing when the family member bought a PW4. He thinks the H2O original screen & PW3 is whiter (with lights off) and the Libra is similar.
Then from the H2O to a Libra.
Various people in extended family using the old Kindles including one mysterious touch bought for my daughter that was 300 dpi, during PW3 era when they were still lower res. It seemed like a PW3 without a light. I must check what version it reports.

I prefer H2O and Libra to any of the Kindles.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2020, 04:13 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
No serious supplier will reveal any new model until it's ready to be sold to avoid the Osborne Effect. Especially not something only in development as it might never be released.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:03 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
In addition, are there any former Kindle users who moved to Kobo Libra H20 and loved it? I think if I did switch from what I'm currently reading on it would be to this device. Seems to hit the sweet spot of screen size and oasis like functionality without breaking the bank
I still alternate between the Kindle and Kobo but the Libra H2O is certainly my most used e-ink reader now.

That said, there are still certain things where I prefer the Kindle native reader's behavior: library-wide full text search, handling of HTTP downloads, and reading progress and annotations retained for modified/edited, sideloaded books.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:08 PM   #8
arooni
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
No serious supplier will reveal any new model until it's ready to be sold to avoid the Osborne Effect. Especially not something only in development as it might never be released.
truth. but i'm wondering what the next iteration of ereaders is likely to bring. is the oasis/libra/forma the end game for ereaders? how could they possibly get any better?
Old 03-04-2020, 07:09 PM   #9
arooni
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I still alternate between the Kindle and Kobo but the Libra H2O is certainly my most used e-ink reader now.

That said, there are still certain things where I prefer the Kindle native reader's behavior: library-wide full text search, handling of HTTP downloads, and reading progress and annotations retained for modified/edited, sideloaded books.
Thanks for your response. Do you ever use koreader (i use this for sideloaded books)? Do you use syncthing?
Old 03-04-2020, 07:11 PM   #10
arooni
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I switched from a PW2 to a Kindle DXG then to a PW3. PW3 to H2O original. Then I bought a PW3 when the PW4 came out, as I'd given the other one to my wife. I use it for testing. I subsequently was given a B008 keyboard for testing when the family member bought a PW4. He thinks the H2O original screen & PW3 is whiter (with lights off) and the Libra is similar.
Then from the H2O to a Libra.
Various people in extended family using the old Kindles including one mysterious touch bought for my daughter that was 300 dpi, during PW3 era when they were still lower res. It seemed like a PW3 without a light. I must check what version it reports.

I prefer H2O and Libra to any of the Kindles.
Why do you like the libra over your kindles?
Old 03-04-2020, 07:14 PM   #11
arooni
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I love my Libra. I still like and use my Kindles too (the Oases, never had any of the Paperwhites), but the Libra is more comfy from the ergonomic viewpoint. So I tend to use it more. It's pretty heavily patched, as I didn't particularly like the default Kobo experience.

For me going from a 6'' screen to a 7'' screen (from the Kindle Voyage to the Kindle Oasis in 2017) was a really great experience. I no longer want to read on a 6'' screen. OTOH anything bigger than 7'' is a bit too big for me. 7'' is the sweet spot.
I wonder if I'd really benefit too much from a Libra considering I use a folding case that stands it up on tables/pillow that I read mostly on. If I were reading one handed maybe the libra would be better because of the way the weight distribution is set. I'd definitely like the bigger screen though and buttons. I remember back in the day I owned a Kindle DX which was *amazing*.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:19 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Do you ever use koreader (i use this for sideloaded books)? Do you use syncthing?
koreader

On Kindle: Yes for Dropbox, EPUB and CBZ support.

On Libra H2O: Not yet. Maybe when I start reading manga again. Mostly just reading fanfics right now and the native reader is good enough for that after a couple of patches.

syncthing

Nope. Current setup works well enough so I'm not really interested in researching alternatives at the moment.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:55 AM   #13
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
To get back to the topic What's coming in the next 1-2 years I think the most interesting will be color. Based on FCCID requests it is said that the first ereaders will start selling in the fall/end of summer.

Next to that I expect/hope for better note taking features. The interface for typing is now still too laggy, so some intelligent redesign is needed. And as more ereaders are having bluetooth for the audio connection, that connection could be use for keyboards, too.

The color screens will drive down the price of greyscale ereaders considerably, so I am holding out until the fall before buying another ereader. I even sent the Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro back, because the improvement of the screen size and amber light isn't enough to sell out another 250€.

Last edited by Markismus; 03-05-2020 at 09:58 AM.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:20 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
No reason at all to replace your PW4. I have a Kobo Aura H2O that I've had for about 5 years, 5 months and I've not replaced it even though newer models have come out since then.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:43 AM   #15
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Next to that I expect/hope for better note taking features.
Many users jut want a decent reader. The few notes many may make are easily done with the existing features.

Quote:
The color screens will drive down the price of greyscale ereaders considerably,
The Paperwhite can be purchased for less than $100 if you watch for sales. Today AAMOF, it can be had for $84.99.

Various companies have been promising good color e-ink since I bought my first Kindle in 2009. If and when it does come to market on a large scale, it won't change anything, because it will remain a niche product, expensive, and a novelty. Those users, like me, who want color for magazines and some books, will keep using a tablet or smart phone. Because when it comes to color, e-ink can't come close to being good enough to justify another expensive device.

But under $100 e-readers are easily had right now, and other than perhaps speed, don't need much to make them superior to where they are already. There is always room for improvement on function, more intuitive menus, better font handling, etc. But for users who want to read, the choices are good and affordable already.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote