Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-30-2019, 03:50 PM   #1
slate
Connoisseur
slate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura about

Device: N/A
Exclamation Be sure to update your Kobo Arc by 2019-02-28 or else

We have important news for you regarding your Kobo Arc tablet.

Your Kobo Arc tablet requires a mandatory software update by February 28, 2019. To stay aligned with global internet security standards, we are releasing a mandatory software update for all Kobo Arc tablet models. Without this update, your Kobo Arc tablet will no longer be able to exit the setup process after a factory reset is performed.

Rest assured that no items in your Kobo library will be affected; you will continue to have access to all reading material you have purchased or downloaded from Rakuten Kobo.

How to update your tablet's software
Follow the prompts on your Kobo Arc to install the update before February 28. If you are unable to do this before February 28, you will need to install it manually by following these steps:

1.Open the Settings app.
2.Tap 'About Kobo Arc' at the bottom of the Settings list.
3.Tap 'System updates'.
4.You should see a 'Check for updates' message.
5.Tap 'Check Now' and follow further instructions.

Read with Kobo with the free Kobo App
You can download the free Kobo App available for iOS and Android smartphones and tablets, and read with Kobo on a device you already own.

If you have any questions or concerns about this message, please contact Kobo Customer Care.

Last update was over 4 years ago. They couldn't even be bothered to update the revision number on this one.

Code:
FILENAME : zeus-ota-781.zip
BYTES    : 409497457
SHA1     : e780bfa1995207914e06b1c8e53e4529a4b53bc7
BUILD    : kobo/zeus/zeus:4.1.1/JRO03L/781:user/release-keys
TIMESTAMP: Mon, 01 Oct 2018 14:59:40 GMT
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:44 PM   #2
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Does anyone have any info on what this is actually going to change on the Arc? I am running Apex Launcher on mine and don't want to find out it will block or change that. :-/
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2019, 10:00 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
Does anyone have any info on what this is actually going to change on the Arc? I am running Apex Launcher on mine and don't want to find out it will block or change that. :-/
The only change needed is to update the security protocols to use TLS 1.2 (possibly even TLS 1.3). SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0 are not considered secure and TLS 1.1 is marginally secure and should be gone by the end of the year.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-30-2019 at 10:06 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:23 PM   #4
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The only change needed is to update the security protocols to use TLS 1.2 (possibly even TLS 1.3). SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0 are not considered secure and TLS 1.1 is marginally secure and should be gone by the end of the year.
Thanks David! I took the plunge and updated it and no issue with Apex launcher. As you said, it is mainly a security update and doesn't seem to have changed anything else.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #5
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur
ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi. I'm thinking of buying (for budget reasons as I now need to get a new laptop) a used or refurbished Arc (original gen with front speakers) as a back up for my Glo and as a very occasional tablet for when my laptop is out of reach. Is it worth it? Or would it be better to get a 7HD model (the screen res on the Arc 7 is not good from what I've seen but is much better on the HD version)?

Also, what if I get one and it hasn't been updated? The info in the OP says that if it hasn't been done it will need to be done manually via settings, but if the device is stuck on the setup process because it's been factory reset how is that possible?

Any thoughts or opinions on this? Or would I be better off getting another brand of used tablet that has proper e-reader capabilities (NOT Amazon)?

TIA
ilovereading.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2019, 02:01 AM   #6
teija
Gadget fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovereading.com View Post
Also, what if I get one and it hasn't been updated? The info in the OP says that if it hasn't been done it will need to be done manually via settings, but if the device is stuck on the setup process because it's been factory reset how is that possible?
I don't think it should be an issue, I think what it means is just that you will have to do an update or setup via a computer connection rather than wirelessley as you used to be able to do on them.

I have seen a couple of Kobo Arc's listed locally to myself as recently as last month for around $40 CAD, which I think is a great price for them - mainly because I am sentimental about mine... but they ARE old tablets now, and if you want to install regular Android and run apps on it, you will find that a lot are no longer supported (i.e. you can't actually use them).

For what it is worth, I have never had any complaints about the screen on mine - in fact I thought it was quite a nice screen! Yes, if you hold it up against an iPad with retina display you will see that it is inferior, but (pardon the pun) that is not exactly comparing Apples to Apples...

I think if I were to be honest though, I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to buy one of these as there are other newer and similarly priced devices out there that will do what you want it for, with a further-away "expiry" date.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:27 PM   #7
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur
ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.

Thanks very much, @teija. I've seen one for £20 incl P&P on ebay so I'm going for that. Funnily enough, all the Glo's are at least twice that (used) and many are even still being sold for almost as much as they were new or even more!

If I wanted a full-on tablet experience I would get a different one and pay more for it, but really (if I'm completely honest it's also just to satisfy some curiosity in me!) I'm not too bothered by that right now. I'll probably have to replace my Glo in the next year I would imagine and so I'd rather not spend out too much right now and save it for then, esp given my laptop has all but died on me and so that is the priority right now.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:59 AM   #8
teija
Gadget fiend

Quote:
Thanks very much, @teija. I've seen one for £20 incl P&P on ebay so I'm going for that.
Sounds like a decent deal! If you are curious to use one, you can't really go wrong for that price.

Quote:
Funnily enough, all the Glo's are at least twice that (used) and many are even still being sold for almost as much as they were new or even more!
I've been noticing in general that a lot of used eReaders seem to sell for a fair bit more than you would think they do. I guess it is a bit of a "niche market."

Good luck with your new Arc!
Old 03-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #9
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
Sounds like a decent deal! If you are curious to use one, you can't really go wrong for that price... Good luck with your new Arc!
Thanks.

Am liking it so far. After playing just a short time with it, I realized I didn't like the Tapestries ( AT ALL!) so I DL the Apex Launcher and can now make it look like I want.

I even like the Kobo Library system, but don't like how it only shows the total number of pages per chapter (it really bugs me no end) or section so have also DL Moon Plus Reader. Also, although I managed to import loads of my books into the Library, not all of them would go over, so again Moon Plus is necessary for me for reading.

It is also true that some apps aren't compatible with the much older version of Android, but mostly that isn't a problem, I have my phone for all of that!

Last edited by ilovereading.com; 03-30-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:16 AM   #10
DevinJ
DevinJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc 7
Dang. I just fired up the arc 7 and decided to do a factory reset without seeing the update. I'm stuck in the setup stage and can't get out.

I have attempted to update via USB with not much success as the drivers that allow the Kobo to be seen seem to be missing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd hate to have to pitch the tablet because of this.
DevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:16 PM   #11
teija
Gadget fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinJ View Post
Dang. I just fired up the arc 7 and decided to do a factory reset without seeing the update. I'm stuck in the setup stage and can't get out.

I have attempted to update via USB with not much success as the drivers that allow the Kobo to be seen seem to be missing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd hate to have to pitch the tablet because of this.
The drivers on your PC are missing? I am not too computer-wise but doesn't that mean you need the PC drivers, and that this is not an issue with the Arc/tablet itself?
Old 07-25-2019, 10:37 AM   #12
kici
kici began at the beginning.

Device: K080
Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
We have important news for you regarding your Kobo Arc tablet.

Your Kobo Arc tablet requires a mandatory software update by February 28, 2019. To stay aligned with global internet security standards, we are releasing a mandatory software update for all Kobo Arc tablet models. Without this update, your Kobo Arc tablet will no longer be able to exit the setup process after a factory reset is performed.

Rest assured that no items in your Kobo library will be affected; you will continue to have access to all reading material you have purchased or downloaded from Rakuten Kobo.

How to update your tablet's software
Follow the prompts on your Kobo Arc to install the update before February 28. If you are unable to do this before February 28, you will need to install it manually by following these steps:

1.Open the Settings app.
2.Tap 'About Kobo Arc' at the bottom of the Settings list.
3.Tap 'System updates'.
4.You should see a 'Check for updates' message.
5.Tap 'Check Now' and follow further instructions.

Read with Kobo with the free Kobo App
You can download the free Kobo App available for iOS and Android smartphones and tablets, and read with Kobo on a device you already own.

If you have any questions or concerns about this message, please contact Kobo Customer Care.

Last update was over 4 years ago. They couldn't even be bothered to update the revision number on this one.

Code:
FILENAME : zeus-ota-781.zip
BYTES    : 409497457
SHA1     : e780bfa1995207914e06b1c8e53e4529a4b53bc7
BUILD    : kobo/zeus/zeus:4.1.1/JRO03L/781:user/release-keys
TIMESTAMP: Mon, 01 Oct 2018 14:59:40 GMT
Soooo,, I am late to the party, does this mean now my Kobo is toast?

I cannot get past that verification part.... is there anyway to get a firmware and manually flush it to get it working again? or a custom firmware?

Any help so I don't have to toss it out would be appreciated,

Thanks
kici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:44 AM   #13
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kici View Post
Soooo,, I am late to the party, does this mean now my Kobo is toast?

I cannot get past that verification part.... is there anyway to get a firmware and manually flush it to get it working again? or a custom firmware?

Any help so I don't have to toss it out would be appreciated,

Thanks
Try the instructions here for manually updating via Windows or Mac, being sure to use the correct file for your device.

https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...o-Arc-software

Good luck!
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:03 AM   #14
kici
kici began at the beginning.

Device: K080
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
Try the instructions here for manually updating via Windows or Mac, being sure to use the correct file for your device.

https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...o-Arc-software

Good luck!
I've tried that,

Got really frustrated that I tried all of the links just in case I was wrong about model,

However all of them give me the same error:

It starts the update for sometime and then says:

Unable To Start

Something went wrong while starting your Kobo eReader.
Please restart by pressing the On/Off button, and then update your Kobo software.

and then it boots into the previous screen where it asks me to login which I cannot due to the servers being down.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the link bytheway
kici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:58 PM   #15
teija
Gadget fiend

So to confirm, you are doing this while the device is connected to your PC/Mac?