Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-24-2009, 01:20 AM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Why MobileRead is so important

We are a world wide forum.

This means we have active members literally from all over the world, who together own every brand and model of e-book reader, both current and retired.

While many of us are fanatically loyal to our chosen makers, there is no agenda here for any particular reader.

Newbies who come here and ask questions will get answers based hands on experience, not 'the company line'. They will gain much more knowledge than is found in the user guides. By posting and asking questions, they will learn tricks and work-arounds. Reading our Wiki and especially the infamous ebook reader matrix allows comparisons of all ebook readers available, and is an invaluable source of info.

We won't tell you which device to buy, (altho some of us will definitely show our preference) but we'll ask information that will help us suggest an appropriate choice.

Its always hard to establish a relationship with a new group, but sticking around, reading different threads, and posting regularly has huge paybacks.

Woe to you makers of ebook reader devices who expect blind acceptance of any new product .

We will lavishly praise the good, and mercilessly pick apart the bad. We will give you logical reasons why we feel as we do.

Thanks to the untiring efforts of our volunteers, we have over 11,000 books here, free for the downloading. All carefully, beautifully formatted, and ready for your device.

We have our own independent authors here, willing to share their work, and our own writers corner. MobileRead encourages anyone who loves to write, in any form, to participate.

MobileRead strives to stay on the legal side, and will not allow flame wars, or personal attacks, or spam. Our mods are very quick to 'tamp the flames', and delete unwanted ads.

It is a privately owned community, and we are all here to help one another, and to spread the word and try to show people why these devices are so important in todays world.

Like any world wide community, we have our differences. Personalities/opinions clash, but its a credit to our members that rarely do the mods need to step in. Mostly we can recognize the other persons point of view, even if we don' agree with it, and we try to stay civil.

In the Lounge, we get silly, make friends, create new worlds and words. Its a respite from the seriousness of our real lives.

Long live MobileRead!!

Last edited by desertgrandma; 10-24-2009 at 02:20 AM. Reason: addendum
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I've been a pro writer for nearly forty-five years, a fiction editor and small indie publisher for the past ten. I must have been in my teens when I first started to dream of electronic reading and I've produced 150 ebook versions to cover my house's paperbacks over the past eight years. Tell ya summat, though ... I've learned more here in the past four months than I'd picked up in a lifetime. A truly wonderful site, peopled by some of the most generous folks I've ever encountered. Don't know who actually owns this site, but s/he can call round at my place for a glass or several any day of the week. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 01:33 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

According to our (Wiki look at the top of the page):

History

Alexander Turcic is the founder of MobileRead, a forum that started off being almost exclusively about mobile devices, and how to get text files onto them. Across the past few years the focus has shifted away from cell phones and pdas to ebooks/etext/eBook readers. Everyone here is a volunteer, and most of them are here for the same reason... Google search on something eBook Reader related had lots of results from the forums here. Once we started reading eventually there was a post we wanted to respond to... bam! another addict.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:40 AM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Nicely said, desertgrandma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
<snip>

Long live MobileRead!!
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:51 AM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Well said, grandma. I've learned quite a bit by reading the threads here, watching them develop, and having a little patience regarding my choice of eBook reader.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that there is much more enthusiasm here for the now discontinued Sony 505 than for its two replacements. Kind of reminds me of people who long for older model cars.

And I've come to the conclusion that not only is a user-replaceable battery important to me, it is also important that that battery not be proprietary.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 02:27 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***it is also important that that battery not be proprietary***

Neither should books. N
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:36 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
You're forgetting one thing, DGM. The fact that we are a world-wide community gives unique insights in the various devices and ways to buy those devices.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Actually it does more. It provides a way of seeing different cultures at work (and play). I can interact with different people and different cultures around the world, based on mutual common interest. And e-books, lots and lots of e-books.....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thanks dg for this post. very well said. one of the things i appreciate most about this forum is the diversity, being able to "meet" and discuss with people from all over the world, hear their perspectives and learn about their cultures. it's precisely because of this incredible diversity that it's so amazing how consistently warm and friendly the ambiance here is, and i thank everyone for making the occasional extra effort to keep it that way. it's wonderful to see so many people finding ways to strengthen the community here (including with this thread !) and i am grateful for it every day. bravo to all of you, and keep it up.

cheers !

zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:03 AM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
You're forgetting one thing, DGM. The fact that we are a world-wide community gives unique insights in the various devices and ways to buy those devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Actually it does more. It provides a way of seeing different cultures at work (and play). I can interact with different people and different cultures around the world, based on mutual common interest. And e-books, lots and lots of e-books.....
Thank you for bringing that up. Theres more I"ve not said, I'm sure, but it was so late when I posted....my brain needed sleep!

The idea has been rattling around in my head for a couple of days, and just had to get out.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Well said, desertgrandma!
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #12
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Great post

What I especially like about this forum is the fact that there is no zealotry by people with preference for a certain reader. On computer forums you get Mac zealots and PC zealots who claim the other is worthless.

I've never seen that behaviour here. The kindle users see it's faults, so do the Sony users and so on. People are very reasonable and realistic in how they approach the pros/cons of each device which means newbies get really useful information, not just hyperbole from some device specific zealot who claims every device other than the one he/she owns 'sucks'.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #13
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Great post

What I especially like about this forum is the fact that there is no zealotry by people with preference for a certain reader. On computer forums you get Mac zealots and PC zealots who claim the other is worthless.

I've never seen that behaviour here. The kindle users see it's faults, so do the Sony users and so on. People are very reasonable and realistic in how they approach the pros/cons of each device which means newbies get really useful information, not just hyperbole from some device specific zealot who claims every device other than the one he/she owns 'sucks'.
Totally agree.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:05 AM   #14
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Great post, desertgrandma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
... MobileRead strives to stay on the legal side, and will not allow flame wars, or personal attacks, or spam. Our mods are very quick to 'tamp the flames' ... Like any world wide community, we have our differences. Personalities/opinions clash, but its a credit to our members that rarely do the mods need to step in. Mostly we can recognize the other persons point of view, even if we don' agree with it, and we try to stay civil ...
I'm really impressed by the civility here. I've seen all too many other sites where flaming was raised almost to the level an art form; or, should I say, a black arts form. Kudos to the decorum of all the members!

Quote:
... Long live MobileRead!!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Whoop! Whoop!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote