Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-14-2023, 12:26 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by colibris79 View Post
Just the Radeon ppa. The devel version, 23.2.0, is the one from that ppa (though in the package manager does not show as a dev version)
Are you using that ppa and same driver versions on the Mint 21 machines where Sigil IS working? If so you might want to try a ppa-purge (on the problem machine) and make sure everything works with the stock opensource driver. If so start over with installing the latest radeon driver from the ppa.

I'm not familiar with an official Radeon ppa for their proprietary drivers, but there is a ppa for newer versions of the opensource driver:

ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

If you can't get it working with the ppa you're using, you may want to try it out. Easy enough to roll back with ppa-purge after.

$ sudo apt install ppa-purge
$ sudo ppa-purge ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 07:01 PM   #17
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony T1, Onyx C67ML, Poke 4, Boyue Paper/Likebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
You might want to try running qtdiag to see how Qt sees OpenGL. It should come with the Qt on that system.
qtdiag cannot find my qt installation
Code:
qtdiag
qtdiag: could not find a Qt installation of ''
Though I know I have installed qt5 (5.15.3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Are you using that ppa and same driver versions on the Mint 21 machines where Sigil IS working? If so you might want to try a ppa-purge (on the problem machine) and make sure everything works with the stock opensource driver. If so start over with installing the latest radeon driver from the ppa.

I'm not familiar with an official Radeon ppa for their proprietary drivers, but there is a ppa for newer versions of the opensource driver:

ppaibaf/graphics-drivers

If you can't get it working with the ppa you're using, you may want to try it out. Easy enough to roll back with ppa-purge after.

$ sudo apt install ppa-purge
$ sudo ppa-purge ppaibaf/graphics-drivers
The other 2 machines do not have an AMD video card so they don't use the Radeon ppa.
I have used oibaf ppa in the past and since it gives the latest drivers available it may cause some problems sometimes. May see what it recommends to update and give it a try with the mesa drivers (though it kind of worries me messing things even more)
colibris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 07:05 PM   #18
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Some progress here!
Reading oibaf ppa description it mentioned and alternative Opengl driver for vulkan , zink.
And... it opens Sigil!!!
Code:
MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=zink sigil
It opens fine and shows no errors whatsoever
I may try and see which packages oibaf ppa suggests to update...
Old 09-14-2023, 08:27 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great! Thanks for reporting back. I try to document these so I can refer back to them.
Old 09-14-2023, 09:44 PM   #20
colibris79
Zealot

As expected oibaf offers me to update the mesa drivers to 23.3 and the libdrm to 2.4.116
Don't know if I want to update now that it's working again...
Old 09-14-2023, 10:05 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" persuasion myself.
Old 09-14-2023, 10:26 PM   #22
colibris79
Zealot

Finally I could not just modify the Sigil launcher in Mintmenu to open with zinc. Since I didn't want to modify /etc/environment I've just created a basic script with the command, point to it from the Mintmenu launcher and Sigil is working again
Old 09-16-2023, 08:32 PM   #23
colibris79
Zealot

I haven't been able to make it work with the "open with" (right button) option while using the file browser. It's a minor thing but would be nice if I could open files directly from the file browser instead of having to open sigil and then open the files from there
Any ideas?
Old 09-16-2023, 09:32 PM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Unless they've done something different with the repo version, /usr/bin/sigil is just a bash script. Set the environment variable there and it should just work any way Sigil is launched.
Old 09-16-2023, 09:47 PM   #25
colibris79
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Unless they've done something different with the repo version, /usr/bin/sigil is just a bash script. Set the environment variable there and it should just work any way Sigil is launched.
Cool. Didn't know that . Just added:
export MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=zink

There you go. Working again

Thank you so much for all your help!!!