Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-27-2020, 09:21 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Cover feedback?

It's for the fourth book in a zany, humorous thriller about Navy SEALs that takes place in Brooklyn. Nah, in the Everglades. Thanks.

Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:46 PM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Maybe just a bit busy compared to the other covers ... oh, I see what it is: the other covers in the series have a tag-line, and this doesn't.

I know, there's a saying somewhere about getting pedantic about consistency, but still I think the other covers show better balance than this one ... although if we just compare to book three it's close. (Meaning that book three isn't quite a match to 1 and 2 either.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2020, 12:20 AM   #3
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O2, iPadMini4, MBP; support AuraHD,Kindle,KAura
What are the lines/hyphens either side of the "A" doing? Is it some sort of emphasis? I don't know whether it's intended to be telling me about a navy in the Everglades, or some navy called the "A Navy" (as opposed to, say, the B Navy) in the Everglades.

If it's just "a navy", I'd put the A and the NAVY on the same line.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:47 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
QUOTE=meeera;3946482]What are the lines/hyphens either side of the "A" doing? Is it some sort of emphasis? I don't know whether it's intended to be telling me about a navy in the Everglades, or some navy called the "A Navy" (as opposed to, say, the B Navy) in the Everglades.

If it's just "a navy", I'd put the A and the NAVY on the same line.[/QUOTE]

It's part of the series title style, and a play on "oops-a-daisy" from the first title, "Oops-A-Navy"

Click image for larger version

Name:	51ZHkiGjOkL.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	176687Click image for larger version

Name:	41nvDRRzhDL.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	176688Click image for larger version

Name:	41VCD4tkyrL.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	176689

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-28-2020 at 04:51 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:48 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If you have a tag line, perhaps lose the lower two alligators and put it in there.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2020, 07:06 AM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
So a book 4 cover does not sell books. If you do not have them hooked into your series by book 4 you will not get them.

What is important for a book 4 cover is that it fits the established pattern of the series so that someone can tell at first glance that this book in the next book in that series they love.

As such this does well, but it should, IMO, have a tag line added to match the first three. Maybe remove one of the gaters from the lower right to make room for it? Your most excited readers will be looking for it.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:23 PM   #7
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Maybe just a bit busy compared to the other covers ... oh, I see what it is: the other covers in the series have a tag-line, and this doesn't.

I know, there's a saying somewhere about getting pedantic about consistency, but still I think the other covers show better balance than this one ... although if we just compare to book three it's close. (Meaning that book three isn't quite a match to 1 and 2 either.)
Thanks gmw. Yeah, I can see what you're saying. I'm going to get a tag line in there and work on the balance.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:26 PM   #8
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
What are the lines/hyphens either side of the "A" doing? Is it some sort of emphasis? I don't know whether it's intended to be telling me about a navy in the Everglades, or some navy called the "A Navy" (as opposed to, say, the B Navy) in the Everglades.

Thanks meeera. I should've posted the other covers too. They all have the -A-Navy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OopsANavy200X300.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	176795   Click image for larger version

Name:	DupesANavyFinal200X300.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	176796   Click image for larger version

Name:	YipeeKiYayANavy200X300.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	176797  
Old 01-31-2020, 01:28 PM   #9
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post

It's part of the series title style, and a play on "oops-a-daisy" from the first title, "Oops-A-Navy"

Attachment 176687Attachment 176688Attachment 176689
Thanks Paul. Thanks for posting that. (I didn't see your post before I replied to meeera.)

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-01-2020 at 02:48 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old 01-31-2020, 01:28 PM   #10
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If you have a tag line, perhaps lose the lower two alligators and put it in there.
Thanks, yeah, I think that's exactly what I'm going to do. (As soon as I think of a tagline. lol)
Old 01-31-2020, 01:30 PM   #11
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
So a book 4 cover does not sell books. If you do not have them hooked into your series by book 4 you will not get them.

What is important for a book 4 cover is that it fits the established pattern of the series so that someone can tell at first glance that this book in the next book in that series they love.

As such this does well, but it should, IMO, have a tag line added to match the first three. Maybe remove one of the gaters from the lower right to make room for it? Your most excited readers will be looking for it.
Hey Vincent. That's good advice. Leaving the tagline off was an oversight. I'll be back with one. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:44 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks meeera. I should've posted the other covers too. They all have the -A-Navy.
The covers have a problem. Different fonts sizes and the first too look bold. All the covers should be using the same font size and the same boldness. This means redoing the existing covers.The Yippee cover has a smaller font size and is less bold. It looks off compared to the other twho. But if you cannot make it match the other two, then the other two need to match that.

And the new cover needs to match the first three covers. It looks like you have some work to do to fix the covers and replace them at whatever outlets the books are being sold.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:50 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One
I don't like the two 'g's together on 'Gregg'.

I think one is quite enough!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:54 PM   #14
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I don't like the two 'g's together on 'Gregg'.

I think one is quite enough!
Likewise with the superfluous L on Bell.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:16 PM   #15
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Or change the imbalance to the other side and make it Gregg Bel. In that case I'm sure I'd never figure out it's a spelling pun on Greg Bell.

Last edited by hobnail; 01-31-2020 at 03:47 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote