Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 11-14-2019, 03:40 AM   #1
mahargiani
mahargiani began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader/PC
calibre command line

my first post, so please be kind to me! The caliber manual give some command line information, good as far as it goes, but does not have examples. I have used command line to open books from entries in an MS Access database. Set it up a long time ago, remember lots of experimentation before I got the command line to work. Is there anywhere that shows the various command lines together with examples of their use? I am particularly interested in the viewer toc argument, but maybe a general supplement to what is in the manual would be of more general benefit.
mahargiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:36 AM   #2
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
The following both worked for me:

Code:
ebook-viewer.exe --open-at toc:"chapter 2" "The Chrysalids - John Wyndham.epub"
Code:
ebook-viewer.exe --open-at epubcfi(/24/2/4[6LJU0^-ade3ad6bcd714056b39406a49aa9a0e0]/46[chr0000326]/1:360) "The Chrysalids - John Wyndham.epub"
The later I got the location - that long gobbleydegook string - from the viewer by pressing ESC, clicking "Go to" and then clicking "Location" which then displays a "Currently at .." with a copy button. Clicking copy copied the location to the clipboard.

If I was going to use this for real I'd probably want to save that somewhere - or just create a bookmark. But I can see it might have its uses. Otherwise for me, the toc version is more useful.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2019, 01:21 AM   #3
mahargiani
mahargiani began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader/PC
I agree, tried the toc method and it works easily. Best avoid the position method, as not supported and can be inconsistent between Calibre versions (e.g. the new viewer is different from the old one).
mahargiani is offline   Reply With Quote