Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #1
norbusan
Zealot
norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, Kobo GloHD
Onyx Boox Note 10.3 on Linux

Hi everyone,

I just got my Onyx Boox Note and I am trying to connect it to Linux, most recent kernel with Debian/sid. Unfortunately mtp is not reacting, and the unit does not show up as device so I cannot mount it.

The unit announces itself as
Code:
usb 1-8: new high-speed USB device number 9 using xhci_hcd
usb 1-8: New USB device found, idVendor=2207, idProduct=0001
usb 1-8: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=4
usb 1-8: Product: Note
usb 1-8: Manufacturer: Onyx
usb 1-8: SerialNumber: XXXXXXXX
but then lots of errors are registered:
Code:
gvfsd[2037]: Device 0 (VID=2207 and PID=0001) is a Various Viewpia DR/bq Kepler.
upowerd[1805]: unhandled action 'bind' on /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-8/1-8:1.0
gvfsd-metadata[2242]: g_udev_device_has_property: assertion 'G_UDEV_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed
gvfsd-metadata[2242]: g_udev_device_has_property: assertion 'G_UDEV_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed
kernel: usb 1-8: usbfs: process 21421 (DeviceManager) did not claim interface 0 before use
upowerd[1805]: unhandled action 'unbind' on /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-8/1-8:1.0
kernel: usb 1-8: reset high-speed USB device number 9 using xhci_hcd
gvfsd[2037]: PTP: reading event an error 0x05 occurred
kernel: usb 1-8: usbfs: process 21421 (DeviceManager) did not claim interface 0 before use
kernel: usb 1-8: usbfs: process 22497 (events) did not claim interface 0 before use
kernel: usb 1-8: usbfs: process 22497 (events) did not claim interface 0 before use
It leaves me with no way to actually load books onto the unit :-(

Any suggestions?
norbusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbusan View Post
mtp is not reacting ... It leaves me with no way to actually load books onto the unit :-(
I do not have the Note; I have never had MTP problems with Onyx devices.
Have you checked
https://askubuntu.com/questions/8766...rk-with-ubuntu
?

Anyway, to load material on the Note besides MTP, use `adb push`. You may want to add your
Code:
ATTR{idVendor}=="2207", ATTR{idProduct}=="0001", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
in
/etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Hello,

It's how I use my Max2 on Linux : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=382 and I use 'mtp-tools' and 'gmtp'.

You could try with 'gmtp'. The you push the "Connect" button, be very patient.

Before anything, remove all other USB devices...

Gmtp was my first tools as simple 'user', not 'root'.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:26 AM   #4
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
Quote:
It leaves me with no way to actually load books onto the unit :-(
Does this mean that you are also unable to simply mount the internal storage via plain USB connection?

As i have always been able to mount the internal storage of my Onyx Boox devices in Debian/sid (currently with 4.16.0-trunk-amd64), i never bothered about MTP before.

It would be a rather bad surprise if this wouldn't be possible anymore and yet another reason (at least for me) to not purchase a Boox Note.

EDIT: Should have read more carefully: Actually you already wrote "and the unit does not show up as device so I cannot mount it."

Last edited by orebmur; 04-20-2018 at 10:29 AM.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:48 AM   #5
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by orebmur View Post
It would be a rather bad surprise if this wouldn't be possible anymore
The chance of Onyx removing MTP are much less then they becoming a sect and committing actual mass suicide, instead of just commercial suicide.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2018, 10:55 AM   #6
norbusan
Zealot
norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.

To all, thanks for the comments. Here are my findings *AFTER* having updated the Onyx to the latest firmware *and* updated libmtp to the latest version (Debian has a bit an old version, even in unstable):
  • normal operation via mtp:// works when using libmtp and friends. The kernel reports:
    Code:
    usb 1-10: new high-speed USB device number 15 using xhci_hcd
    usb 1-10: New USB device found, idVendor=2207, idProduct=0001
    usb 1-10: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=4
    usb 1-10: Product: Note
    usb 1-10: Manufacturer: Onyx
    usb 1-10: SerialNumber: XXXXXXXXX
  • using go-mtpfs kills the connection, replugging is necessary, kernel messages:
    Code:
    usb 1-10: usbfs: process 2342 (go-mtpfs) did not claim interface 0 before use
    usb 1-10: reset high-speed USB device number 13 using xhci_hcd
    usb 1-10: usbfs: process 2130 (events) did not claim interface 0 before use
    usb 1-10: usbfs: process 2342 (go-mtpfs) did not claim interface 0 before use
  • no device is exported, so no way to mount and use with Calibre (at least AFAIK)

I will report on further findings.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #7
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
To all, thanks for the comments. Here are my findings *AFTER* having updated the Onyx to the latest firmware *and* updated libmtp to the latest version (Debian has a bit an old version, even in unstable):
For me with Debian Stretch : apt update + apt distupgrade, followed by the installation of "Mtp" tools. Nothing else and it's perfectly working ...
Old 04-25-2018, 05:13 AM   #8
norbusan
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
For me with Debian Stretch : apt update + apt distupgrade, followed by the installation of "Mtp" tools. Nothing else and it's perfectly working ...
Yeah, might be, I just mentioned that this is what I did. And for now I will not go back and try to break it again ;-)

Did you manage to get a mountable device so that calibre can work with it?
Old 03-28-2019, 04:48 PM   #9
dma7
dma7 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Book 13 inch
Unable to access my filesystem using gmtp

Greetings! It is unclear to me if anyone in this thread was able to access their reader. I am new to this group and have an Onyx book 13 inch reader.

I am experienced with Linux and gmtp, but have been unable to access my reader.

If you were successful, please share here how you did it!
dma7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:14 AM   #10
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
While using a Likebook Note instead of an Onyx device, i was equally unable to successfully use gmtp with this device. But using jmtpfs instead works fine (but mtp stays being a nuisance).

See github.com/JasonFerrara/jmtpfs or search your distribution's package repository.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:05 AM   #11
Randy11
Wizard

Now I use Adb, because for a big transfer with many files some errors occur.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:49 PM   #12
bit101
Connoisseur
bit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmosbit101 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Nova Pro
I have a Nova Pro and use Xubuntu. Has just worked flawlessly for me.
bit101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:53 AM   #13
norbusan
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma7 View Post
I am experienced with Linux and gmtp, but have been unable to access my reader.

If you were successful, please share here how you did it!
The problem is that there can be only one connection using MTP to the reader, and most desktop environments (Gnome, KDE, Cinnamon, ...) automatically mount the reader. After that, calibre cannot talk to it anymore.

I have disabled auto-mounting of pluggable devices in my DE (cinnamon) and since then Calibre can work without any hiccups with it.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:39 PM   #14
dma7
dma7 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Book 13 inch
Quote:
The problem is that there can be only one connection using MTP to the reader, and most desktop environments (Gnome, KDE, Cinnamon, ...) automatically mount the reader. After that, calibre cannot talk to it anymore.

I have disabled auto-mounting of pluggable devices in my DE (cinnamon) and since then Calibre can work without any hiccups with it.
@norbusan Thank you very much for your explanation - that helps my understanding. I have disabled automount but still cannot connect. I am using Ubuntu 16.04 and gmtp. This is the error message:

Detect: Unable to open raw device?

This is farther than I got before! I have done a bit of searching and this appears to be a common problem - I have not found an answer yet. I will keep searching. Any ideas would be appreciated!
dma7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:43 AM   #15
norbusan
Zealot

This looks like a simple permission problem on the relevant use device. I'm not sure about the Ubuntu version, but can you check whether you are in the plugdev group? (Typing 'id' should show you which user I'd and which group you belong to). The plugdev group members normally have read/write permissions.

If that doesn't help, then probably the device is not recognized as ebook reader and udev does not assign the correct permissions when the device files are created.