Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-28-2020, 03:00 PM   #42586
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
The last couple of weeks tension has been building. In two weeks' time (on the 12th or 13th) the deadline is for my uncle to let the court know if he wants to appeal or not. I expect he will wait until the day of the deadline, he usually does.

A normal person wouldn't appeal. This type of appeal only looks at if the judge made any mistakes, it doesn't look at the actual ruling. It also cost a lot of money to start this appeal, plus you need a specialize, thus expensive, lawyer. But by now we know my uncle is unpredictable, so who knows what will happen.

So, the next couple of weeks won't be fun. After the deadline we have to wait until either my uncle or his lawyer notifies our lawyers, if he doesn't do that we have to wait until the court publishes these things, that could be the same day, or take a couple of days to get processed.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:01 PM   #42587
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kin7; FHD6; SGT4; ClipZip; LG Trib; Echo Dot
Quote:
Originally Posted by perite View Post
Trying to gain enough posts.
That deserves some karma for the effort
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:12 PM   #42588
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
The last couple of weeks tension has been building. In two weeks' time (on the 12th or 13th) the deadline is for my uncle to let the court know if he wants to appeal or not. I expect he will wait until the day of the deadline, he usually does.

A normal person wouldn't appeal. This type of appeal only looks at if the judge made any mistakes, it doesn't look at the actual ruling. It also cost a lot of money to start this appeal, plus you need a specialize, thus expensive, lawyer. But by now we know my uncle is unpredictable, so who knows what will happen.

So, the next couple of weeks won't be fun. After the deadline we have to wait until either my uncle or his lawyer notifies our lawyers, if he doesn't do that we have to wait until the court publishes these things, that could be the same day, or take a couple of days to get processed.
I really hope this is over soon for you, and in a satisfactory way.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:41 PM   #42589
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I really hope this is over soon for you, and in a satisfactory way.
Ditto, Rumple. Honestly, YEARS now. (sigh). Can't wait.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:44 AM   #42590
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
The last couple of weeks tension has been building. In two weeks' time (on the 12th or 13th) the deadline is for my uncle to let the court know if he wants to appeal or not.
Best wishes for finally getting a conclusion to this bit of it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:02 PM   #42591
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thinking of going to Rotterdam for a couple of days in March or April. In 2018 I stayed at a capsule hotel and I really liked it. I've been wanting to do that again ever since.

Last March I went to a show in Amsterdam and made it into a short trip. I like to do that again. Just me, doing things I like. But I've seen enough of Amsterdam, and there are still things I want to do in Rotterdam (plus the city center is much more compact and easy to get around on foot).

I will have to see what's going to happen in the next couple of weeks and when it convenient for me to go. But no matter what the outcome is I think I deserve a couple of days away after all the stress.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:11 AM   #42592
Rumpelteazer
Wizard

I was wrong when I recently posted that the deadline for my uncle's appeal is next week. It's this week, on Wednesday. We should know on Thursday what he has decided. However, we're not sure if this court/case grants extensions for a deadline. Others do, the first time you automatically get an extension of 4-8 weeks (depending on the type of case), any extensions after that have to be approved by a judge.

After six and a half years I know my uncle's tactics and he loves to delay. So if there's the possibility for an extension he'll go for that. He did that with the last case, too. Though the judge did not approve of any further extensions after the first, automatic one.

I'll give equal chances to whether my uncle will appeal or not, but if an extension is on the table the chances are greater that he'll go for that. We can only wait and see what happens.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #42593
Rumpelteazer
Wizard

No news yet. It could be that there was some sort of delay with the court publishing it. It could be that my uncle decided not to go for the appeal and didn't have the decency to let the court know, instead just quietly let the deadline go by without doing anything.

If we haven't heard from our lawyer by tomorrow early afternoon, we'll give her a call (though she would let us know immediately if she hears anything) and see what her thoughts are.

Even if my uncle has decided not to appeal we're still in for a fight. Because then my grandmother's estate can be divided, if there is anything left, it might be that the estate is in debt. Also, my uncle still owes the estate at least €5000 if not more, for the sex dating websites, insurances and lawyers fees he used my grandmother's money for.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:53 PM   #42594
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No news yet. It could be that there was some sort of delay with the court publishing it. It could be that my uncle decided not to go for the appeal and didn't have the decency to let the court know, instead just quietly let the deadline go by without doing anything.

If we haven't heard from our lawyer by tomorrow early afternoon, we'll give her a call (though she would let us know immediately if she hears anything) and see what her thoughts are.

Even if my uncle has decided not to appeal we're still in for a fight. Because then my grandmother's estate can be divided, if there is anything left, it might be that the estate is in debt. Also, my uncle still owes the estate at least €5000 if not more, for the sex dating websites, insurances and lawyers fees he used my grandmother's money for.
Sweet Jesus. What a nightmare.

Let us know, Rumple, when you know.

I'm sitting here, on the phone at the THIRTIETH MINUTE with a guy who doesn't' know how to open a PDF in Acrobat. Can't open a Word file.

My life sucks.

Hitch
Old 02-06-2020, 05:26 PM   #42595
Rumpelteazer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Sweet Jesus. What a nightmare.

Let us know, Rumple, when you know.

I'm sitting here, on the phone at the THIRTIETH MINUTE with a guy who doesn't' know how to open a PDF in Acrobat. Can't open a Word file.

My life sucks.

Hitch
I'm just so tired and my hayfever/cold/respiratory infection aren't helping either.

I spend what feels like half the morning explaining to my father how he has to pause the printing jobs, then empty the to-be-printed list, unpause and reboot the printer. Every couple of weeks the store's printer stops working. Going through those steps makes the printer work again.

I know what the problem is; the drivers need to be updated, but my father is refusing to do so. He still holds on to his weird computer beliefs. It's the fourth or fifth time I explain the steps to him, I have written them down. But he doesn't follow my instructions and always starts doing his own thing at some point. I told him this is the last time I help him out, that if he follows the steps it all works again, for a while. I'm willing to update the drivers, but he doesn't want me to, so he just has to figure it out himself from now on.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:29 PM   #42596
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I'm just so tired and my hayfever/cold/respiratory infection aren't helping either.

I spend what feels like half the morning explaining to my father how he has to pause the printing jobs, then empty the to-be-printed list, unpause and reboot the printer. Every couple of weeks the store's printer stops working. Going through those steps makes the printer work again.

I know what the problem is; the drivers need to be updated, but my father is refusing to do so. He still holds on to his weird computer beliefs. It's the fourth or fifth time I explain the steps to him, I have written them down. But he doesn't follow my instructions and always starts doing his own thing at some point. I told him this is the last time I help him out, that if he follows the steps it all works again, for a while. I'm willing to update the drivers, but he doesn't want me to, so he just has to figure it out himself from now on.
Oh, that's a Midnight Raider job.

Go down there, update the drivers, don't tell him.

I know, I know, I know what all ya'lls are gonna say, but it's Rumple's sanity at stake here and this is a moral imperative.

Hitch
Old 02-07-2020, 02:36 PM   #42597
Rumpelteazer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Oh, that's a Midnight Raider job.

Go down there, update the drivers, don't tell him.

I know, I know, I know what all ya'lls are gonna say, but it's Rumple's sanity at stake here and this is a moral imperative.

Hitch
Nah, that computer is ancient and if anything goes wrong I'll have a huge problem. I do do that with the computer in the living room, though.

Family Thing non update: no news from the courts. Our lawyer tried to find out what was going on this morning, but wasn't able to. She had to go to a funeral and wasn't available the rest of the day. She's going to try again on Monday. We'll give my aunt and uncle (father's sister and husband) a call tomorrow, but I doubt they've heard anything from their lawyer, otherwise they would have contacted us.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:13 PM   #42598
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:

Printing has probably been the biggest support issue I've had as an IT guy. At a former employer, I ripped apart the two Unix shell scripts a former employee had written to support printing on the Unix system and combined them into one, which used a table driven design and was much easier to update when things changed. Entrees for different printers that did different things had named sections in the script. Invoking the script and passing it the printer name as a parameter on the command line along with the name of the file to print sent the print job to the right printer with the right options specified. I had an assortment of symlinks to the script whose names were the printer names, and users ran those symlinks. New printer with new options? Update the table in the script and add a new symlink. Worked fine and made my life easier.

Drivers are only part of the problem. On older versions of Windows, I had to reboot PCs trying to print. Windows has a print spooler subsystem responsible for queuing jobs sent to printers. It the spooler got hosed, various things that should work, like cancelling a job, didn't. Rebooting the PC to clean out the spool was the only solution. The printer was fine. The machine sending jobs to the printer wasn't.

(And I go back to the MSDOS days when DOS didn't have a print spooler. DOS did one thing at a time, and when someone did something like write a document in their word processor and send it to the printer, they sat back and twiddled their thumbs till the job was finished printing. It was a gift from $DEITY when MSDOS added the PRINT command, which installed as a resident extension, and used time slicing to permit printing to occur in the background once the job was sent to the printer so the user got the PC back and could do more work.)

What PC is this, and what printer? I agree updated drivers are needed, but I suspect they won't eliminate the problem. You may be best served by just rebooting the PC every morning to start fresh if you don't already do so.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:03 AM   #42599
Rumpelteazer
Wizard

Sunday morning/early afternoon means chores. I'm doing laundry, have cleaned the litter box, deep cleaned my oven, cleaned out my fridge and cleaned the toilet, there's a tablet in the toilet to deep clean it.

I'm now deciding whether I can be bothered to go to go to the supermarket for something to snack on tonight or not.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:14 PM   #42600
binaryhermit
Wizard
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen, so-called "All-New Kindle" (AKA 10th gen)
Browsing mobileread and considering eating dinner before going to bed somewhat soon
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?