Notices

Old 08-30-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
hansipansi65
hansipansi65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle oasis 2 (2017) / CW24W0i / G000P8
Arrow Rooting: Onyx Boox Note Pro - Build 2019-06-12

Hello mobileread-Champs,
hopefully someone knows an answer to my issue:

I want to root the "Onyx Boox Note >Pro<" because I like rooted devices and want to have full access for Titanium BackUp, SDMaid and so on;

I already tried the KingRoot .apk and Windows Application with USB + ADB, the app or program replies always "no root possible", even after factory reset and multiple on/off tries;

what I already found on the forum is to complicated for a noob like me:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=24
(still Thank You 'elementarythree' for the effort! )

or doesnt work for me: (KingRoot possibly not working for the >Pro< Version)
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...-note-t3778552

Because I don't have an open boot-loader I cant do much else, or can I ??

6.0.1 Android Marshmallow should have enough holes in it, no?
hansipansi65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:38 AM   #2
genomorro
genomorro began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Pro / Kobo Aura One
What about framaroot?: http://framaroot.net/faq.html
genomorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:57 PM   #3
hansipansi65

Hello genomorro, I tried it but the newest version is from 2014 (v1.9.3) and says "This device seems not vulnerable to exploit included in Farmaroot" / I also wouldnt use the link you suggested: you have to fill out some quests for permission :-/

Alternative?
Old 09-01-2019, 09:40 PM   #4
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
kingroot windows works, you just need to be looking at the screen of the device to accept everything when asked, if you are late or don't click on the popups it will say that failed
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:12 PM   #5
hansipansi65

Hello whopper, Thanks for the reply;
I tried it like you described (of course several times, just today),

I even erased the whole device via factory reset several times and cleared the cache before trying it;
...also enabling unknown sources and USB-debugging, while the PC-software (running as admin) tried to root: I only got one Window on the Reader-AppScreen and of course I clicked Yes/installed the App ("KrHelper4Pc")

...Problem: still no Root "No Root strategy available, Root request received"

I think my Note "Pro" is cursed
Old 09-04-2019, 01:54 PM   #6
tboome
tboome began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Pro
Hi,

I confirm that you can root with Boox note pro with Kingroot apk 4.5
Switch beetween applications to see the popups. It's very hard to show them.

After rooting your device, you can use Supersume to delete KingRoot.

You will have the same problems to install Supersu, all popups are hidden and you need to switch beetween opened programs to see them and install Supersu

Great regards

Roland
tboome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #7
KindleMeAndrey
Enthusiast
KindleMeAndrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
Where did you get Kingroot 4.5 from? There are a bunch of places that have it for download, but they're all different sizes, which makes me a bit leery.
KindleMeAndrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:00 PM   #8
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleMeAndrey View Post
Where did you get Kingroot 4.5 from? There are a bunch of places that have it for download, but they're all different sizes, which makes me a bit leery.
https://kingroot.net/

it's a shame onyx don't let us rooting it easier without compromising the devices with closed source programs, but, that's what we have.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:26 PM   #9
KindleMeAndrey
Enthusiast
KindleMeAndrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
Yup. I primarily want root access to find a way around idle battery usage and see if I can shut down some services to improve it. At the moment, I'm only using one app on my Note. On typical two days, it only uses 5% of battery while idle uses 19%, plus the Android system another 10%, and that's with Wifi/Bluetooth turned off.

Seems like most of the battery is simply wasted on something that's running in the background. In contrast, my iPad uses almost no battery when idle for days.

I didn't see version 4.5 on kingroot.net. I've read that Kingroot installs all kinds of adware and that newer versions are more difficult for Supersume to remove.

Thanks.
KindleMeAndrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:51 AM   #10
Angrandir
Angrandir began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboome View Post
You will have the same problems to install Supersu, all popups are hidden and you need to switch beetween opened programs to see them and install Supersu
Slightly off topic - I've seen this behaviour before in other apps (never tried Supersu), and it helped to force them into using regal mode (long press the app icon, Optimize, Use Regal Mode) and it started to behave normally (on Note Pro), no need to switch between apps to refresh the screen anymore.
Angrandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:17 PM   #11
hansipansi65

Hello, sorry for the late reply but I'm just back from a business trip, first of all Thanks for the insights and the confirmation that note >>pro is possible!

@tboome/Whopper: I just found vers 5.3.7 / I will try this again;
@Angrandir: Thanks for the tip, I'll try

...and give feedback;
Old 12-01-2019, 05:20 PM   #12
hansipansi65

Hello / I'm back ...so the long awaited update:

vers 5.3.7 didn't work
Switch between applications to see the popups (apk-install didn't show any, pc install - yes but still no: "No Root strategy available")

so is there some Alternative to the boox note pro??
// I'm looking like described for an android ebook reader but rootable :-)

>Thank You<
Old 01-25-2020, 02:52 AM   #13
hansipansi65

>Boox Note Pro< for now a recommendation!, Why you may ask?...

I'm using the last system-update (2019-12-31_13-31_2.2.2_1843383) an have now a very good experience, it's stable and the UI is intuitive (way better build in notes app, app optimization for external android apps now integrated)

PDF:
I use "Xodo PDF Reader & Editor v4.3.8" (the bookmark-Button is there even when not quit visible ;-) ...other versions don't show the menu at all and I like it quite more then the one Onyx provides. It's also a seamless experience on your android phone when it comes to annotations. The marked files are also working 100% with other readers like Adobe, XChange...on PC. (Foxit Business v6.6.1.apk is also possible, but doesn't have split screen built in)

ebooks / epub:
I like annotation as you may have figured out, therefore i use "Moon+ Reader Pro" v4.5.7 / I can export the annotations ("share" then export a file) and I use my own Cloud App (Synology Android App works too on Boox) to sync the file ...and the book to my phone.

Therefore I have my latest books with reading position and with all the annotations always with me even when I don't carry my boox note pro with me, and if I destroy/lose/get my Boox stolen from me all the data is in >my< own Cloud / Synology Diskstation.

...now the reader works for me
Hope this helps anybody with similar requirements.

Tags
android, boox, note pro, onyx android, rooting