Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-02-2020, 11:09 AM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
First you see them, now you don't

This is about ebooks that were available and no longer are.

One of the big things that I expected with eBooks was the idea that since they don't really take up any room, once a book appeared as an eBook, it would always be there, available for purchase. Alas and alack, that hasn't been the case.

Probably the best known of these is David Eddings' more popular works, i.e. the Belgariad series (both sets of 5), the Elenium trilogy and the Tamuli trilogy. Fortunately, I was able to snarf those up in the brief time they were available in the US. But, that's not the only example.

I was looking for a copy of Chelsea Quinn Yarbo's book Ariosto, a slightly obscure but very interesting fantasy about the author of Orlando Furioso, Ludovico Ariosoto. The book flips between the fantasy world of Orlando and the real world of Renaissance Italy that the author lives in. As far as I can tell, it was put out as an eBook by Open Road (The author's site still lists Open Road as the eBook publisher) in 2014, but it's no longer listed on Amazon kindle store, Apple ebook store, Kobo or the Open Road catalogue. Major bummer.

I don't know if the issue is a contract issue, or a quality issue.

Of course, the lesson is, when you see it, buy it, however, I never actually saw or knew that Ariosto was available. I just happened to buy the Penguin classic edition of Orlando Furioso, which triggered a memory of reading Ariosoto back in the 80's. I generally do buy eBooks when I see them, though I do have a few in my wish list.

Anyone else have eBooks that once were available and now aren't? I'm sure I have a number of eBooks that I purchased and are no longer available, but I'm probably not going to be aware that they are no longer available unless someone mentions it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:42 AM   #2
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
My rule of thumb is, when I see it, I buy it. And then I download it and convert it to a secondary format so that I'll always be able to read it on any of my devices.

I started doing that when a couple of Kindle books that I know that I owned no longer showed up in my Kindle library.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:50 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
My rule of thumb is, when I see it, I buy it. And then I download it and convert it to a secondary format so that I'll always be able to read it on any of my devices.

I started doing that when a couple of Kindle books that I know that I owned no longer showed up in my Kindle library.
Ditto. I have quite a lot of such books. Mostly indies and I suspect the author lost interest in writing or life happened.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:48 PM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post

I need to do that, also. I’ve had a massive reduction in the KIndle books I owned. Most were on the freebie list, but some were not... At one stage I had over 1000 titles (got a bit carried away at first, with freebies)... I did reduce the total myself but I know I still had over 300 there... except now theres less than 100. TBR list decapitated.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Hum, are we talking books you actually purchased or books in the Kindle Unlimited? I have a number of books you can no longer purchase, but I haven't actually noticed any books disappearing from my Kindle Library, i.e. content and devices list.

Hum, according to Amazon, I've got 2191 ebooks in my content list. I have about 141 more books in some sort of Amazon format (AZW3, MOBI, AZW4, TPZ) but I converted a number of my favorite Baen Books to mobi format to side load on my various kindle devices, I suspect that accounts for most of the discrepancy.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote