Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-21-2019, 01:28 AM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I was a child the last time I used a bathtub. I much prefer showering. It is faster which leaves more time for reading.
The shower is for washing, the tub is for relaxing (or sore muscles). Hence the opportunity to read.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:31 AM   #32
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
My hubby bought himself a fun "repro" retro style Casio calculator watch earlier this year for $25 from Walmart. It was purely a nostalgia thing though because he uses his Fitbit as a watch every day! Still, I am always excited to see things being "made again" - even if they are not as good in quality as the originals. It is the thought that counts, right?

Last month I got a nice deal on a hardly-used Kobo Clara HD and am LOVING it so far! Just have to figure out if I am ready to part with any of my other remaining eInk devices as I can't really justify having more than about 2 around. Hubby loves the spare 2nd Gen Paperwhite still, and I have to admit I still turn to mine when I want to read something from the many titles I have amassed on the Amazon ecosystem.

Best electronics purchase this year was my hubby's Fitbit Charge 3. It was an upgrade to the Alta that he started with last November (which I inherited) and thanks to both, he has stayed on-track for a minimum of 10,000 steps per day for just over a year now, and with a weight loss so far of over 75 lbs! I honestly thought those things were just a "gimmick" but hey, if they are what he needed for motivation (he is VERY much a data/numbers person) then I am not going to complain!
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:47 AM   #33
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The shower is for washing, the tub is for relaxing (or sore muscles). Hence the opportunity to read.
Except that holding anything, whether a glass or an ereader, requires muscle use, hence not relaxing.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:53 AM   #34
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Except that holding anything, whether a glass or an ereader, requires muscle use, hence not relaxing.
Oh, come on...

Hope you don't watch movies to relax. Holding open your eyes requires muscle use.

I hope you don't breathe when relaxing. Breathing requires muscle use.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-21-2019 at 01:56 AM.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 02:15 AM   #35
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Oh, come on...

Hope you don't watch movies to relax. Holding open your eyes requires muscle use.

Mock if you will (and it seems you must), but when I have a bath, I am too tired to hold anything, and have all four limbs submerged.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 02:39 AM   #36
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I bought the newest kindle last spring just so I could read in the tub during summer heat w/ humidity waves. It’s been the only way too cool off the last few years, and I resented the interruptions to reading. It’s been great, and is my favourite gadget of 2019.
Same. The tub's a lifesaver when the AC's broken. I used to have to ziploc my PW3. The PW4 is much easier.

It's too cold right now so haven't tried the Libra in the tub just yet.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 12-21-2019 at 02:42 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:12 AM   #37
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edventon View Post
1 TB?! Why do you need this volume of storage on iPad?
Why drive a car that does 120 MPH when the speed limit is 70? More capability is always good. At the very minimum, more room for music, movies, podcast and audiobooks. Yea, ebooks don't take up all that much room.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #38
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The cheapest Quartz watch will always be more accurate than the most expensive mechanical watch. Also, the down side to any solar powered watch is replacing the capacitor when it stops holding a charge. Yes it happens to more solar watches than most people realize. Depending on the manufacturer of the watch and the person replacing said capacitor, the cost can run 25 to 100 times more than the cost of a battery. It is also more involved to change out a capacitor compared to a battery.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #39
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, come on...

Everybody has different ways to relax. My favorite way to relax is a heavy workout. Yes I know it is counter intuitive.
Apache
Old 12-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #40
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
The cheapest Quartz watch will always be more accurate than the most expensive mechanical watch. Also, the down side to any solar powered watch is replacing the capacitor when it stops holding a charge. Yes it happens to more solar watches than most people realize. Depending on the manufacturer of the watch and the person replacing said capacitor, the cost can run 25 to 100 times more than the cost of a battery. It is also more involved to change out a capacitor compared to a battery.
Apache
Do you have a lot of replaced rechargeables that failed from old age rather than inadequate care (e.g. letting run completely empty)?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #41
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
640K ought to be enough for anybody.
I was at Costco yesterday to get a portable HD. They had them in either 2T and 5T for under $70.
I remember my first 40M Seagate (MFM) costing me $450 (sale price) and thinking I had TONS of space for my MSDOS files

Later, a 100M Zip disk for backups was the cats Meow! (I recently bulk erased those and binned them as almost nothing (programs) fits that size).
How times change, in 2017 I was building out system racks with 22 Petabytes of storage EACH SERVER
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #42
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I'm not sure that a new computer is a "gadget," but let's say it is. Bought a new iMac with a SSD and it boots up in 32 seconds, including typing my password, which is a revelation. My old one I normally put to sleep at night because it took so long to boot up.

Bought a Kobo Forma which I like and which has become my go-to reader, despite a couple of aggravations. It has a propensity to freeze which requires that you hold down the on/off button for a long time and that button is really poorly designed. Other aggravation is that it isn't easy to find an author's books because the Forma sorts some authors by last name and some by first, even though they're all side-loaded from Calibre and are all Kepub.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #43
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I was at Costco yesterday to get a portable HD. They had them in either 2T and 5T for under $70.
I remember my first 40M Seagate (MFM) costing me $450 (sale price) and thinking I had TONS of space for my MSDOS files
Now that you mention it, need to buy new portable drives.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #44
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Do you have a lot of replaced rechargeables that failed from old age rather than inadequate care (e.g. letting run completely empty)?
I find that most people do not know that they own a solar style watch. They come in all the time wanting to replace the battery because the watch has stopped. I had one just 30 minutes ago. And people who wear a solar watch with long sleeves have trouble keeping them charged.
Apache
Old 12-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #45
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Apache
I forgot to mention that I upgraded my Apple Watch this year. I used an Apple Watch for several years now. I still have a Casio pathfinder watch that is solar powered and syncs time (though I do have to have it on my wrist when I go to bed for the sync to work). It still works fine. I've worn watches most of my life, ever since I was a little kid, so it's hard to imagine not wearing a watch. It's been a long time since I wore an analog watch.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote