Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
skoobwoman
Enthusiast
skoobwoman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2/Kindle DX/Astak Reader Pocket Pro/iPod Touch
Merging multiple HTML files into one HTML file

Hello. I'm looking for a way of merging a lot of html files into one file. A book file with 300 pages can be 300 separate html files. I know I can do it with Mobipocket Creator but it is cumbersome--you have to click and drag every single file into it. Then you have to make sure it is all in order since there is no fast way of sorting (it doesn't let you sort by file name). I was hoping to find something faster than does it in batches.

I did some searching online but the things I found looked questionable or looked like it was aimed at someone with some programming skills.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
skoobwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
See the Softsnow Merger.
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
skoobwoman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz View Post
Thanks so much. I'll give it a try.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
skoobwoman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz View Post
Weird. I just downloaded it. Everytime I try to open it to use it it crashes. I tried reinstalling it but it didn't make a difference. Maybe the download file has gotten corrupted?
Old 09-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
No idea. I used to use it more than 2 years ago, when I used Windows. Nowadays I use Linux, so can't really help you there...
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobwoman View Post
Thanks so much. I'll give it a try.
You want it to "merge" and adjust the markup... or just append the three files together?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
For merging htm or txt files I use a little freeware called txtcollector you can find it here http://bluefive.pair.com/txtcollector.htm
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Why merge at all? Just create an OPF file that lists all the HTML files and then pass that to your ebook creation program.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:40 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Why merge at all? Just create an OPF file that lists all the HTML files and then pass that to your ebook creation program.

But that is *so* difficult to understand how to create an OPF! (Can you tell I *really* need a link to a good OPF tutorial? )

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
skoobwoman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
But that is *so* difficult to understand how to create an OPF! (Can you tell I *really* need a link to a good OPF tutorial? )

Derek
I guess some of us are too ignorant to even know that there is such a thing let alone what it is. I guess I should have chosen my major better-English clearly is a useless major here.

I want to merge the files into one because otherwise it shows up as 300 (or whatever) files on my ebook reader (There are no folders).
Old 09-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #11
skoobwoman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You want it to "merge" and adjust the markup... or just append the three files together?

BOb
It is fine if all of the files are just merged into one with no other changes.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #12
skoobwoman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by olis View Post
For merging htm or txt files I use a little freeware called txtcollector you can find it here http://bluefive.pair.com/txtcollector.htm
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #13
skoobwoman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobwoman View Post
I guess some of us are too ignorant to even know that there is such a thing let alone what it is. I guess I should have chosen my major better-English clearly is a useless major here.

I want to merge the files into one because otherwise it shows up as 300 (or whatever) files on my ebook reader (There are no folders).
I'm sorry if I sounded snarky here. Perhaps you didn't intend it that way, but your post sounded condescending towards people who are not quite as tech-literate as you. I do try my best to troubleshoot myself first. I always search online for solutions. I also always search the forum to see if my question has already been answered. But the fact is that I don't have a clue what OPF is--although as is my habit, I will now try to research it online.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Somebody should make a FAQ for this question, I seem to spend half my life answering it.

Regarding multiple HTML files:

1) If your collection of HTML files includes a file that has links to all the other files:
- Download the beta version of calibre and simply add that file to the GUI.
The GUI will automatically create a zip file with all referenced HTML files and the ZIP file will also contain an OPF file that references the HTML files. You can then use "save to disk" to save the zip file to somewhere on your disk. Unzip it and use the opf+html files in whatever program you need to.

2) If your collection does not have such a file, it takes two minutes to create one. It will have the form:

Code:
<html>
<body>
<a href="file1.html">File 1</a>
< a href="file2.html">File 2</a>
</body>
</html>
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:05 PM   #15
skoobwoman
Enthusiast

I did search the forum first and looked through 3 pages of results with no luck. Perhaps I wasn't using the right terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Somebody should make a FAQ for this question, I seem to spend half my life answering it.

Regarding multiple HTML files:

1) If your collection of HTML files includes a file that has links to all the other files:
- Download the beta version of calibre and simply add that file to the GUI.
The GUI will automatically create a zip file with all referenced HTML files and the ZIP file will also contain an OPF file that references the HTML files. You can then use "save to disk" to save the zip file to somewhere on your disk. Unzip it and use the opf+html files in whatever program you need to.

2) If your collection does not have such a file, it takes two minutes to create one. It will have the form:

Code:
<html>
<body>
<a href="file1.html">File 1</a>
< a href="file2.html">File 2</a>
</body>
</html>