Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #91
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks John F. 51,659 for my library so add in Freading and there's more than 67,000 titles for my library.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:26 PM   #92
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Edmonton Public Library:

OverDrive Read(21123)
EPUB eBook(21060)
Open EPUB eBook(607)
PDF eBook(5035)
Open PDF eBook(241)

Plus it has Freading.

It's not bad. I'm going to try using it more than buying.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2016, 01:28 PM   #93
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^I use my library a lot, but mainly for paper. Most of what I read just isn't available in eBooks. I could get more mileage if I listened to audio books but I haven't gone that way yet.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:43 PM   #94
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^I use my library a lot, but mainly for paper. Most of what I read just isn't available in eBooks. I could get more mileage if I listened to audio books but I haven't gone that way yet.
I sometimes borrow paper books in the summer time. Now in the winter just read ebooks.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:45 PM   #95
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

I'm the opposite. There's something about the crazy weather that makes me think using my eReader in freeze/thaw cycles would kill it prematurely. I ride the bus and read on the bus a lot so stuff ends up being outside.
Advert
Old 01-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #96
PurpleStar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'm the opposite. There's something about the crazy weather that makes me think using my eReader in freeze/thaw cycles would kill it prematurely. I ride the bus and read on the bus a lot so stuff ends up being outside.
It's better in winter for me with the ereaders. I have a hard time reading ebooks outside in the summer. Heat seems to be worse than cold for them at least in my experience.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #97
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

For some reason I am thinking we live in vastly different areas of the country.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:32 PM   #98
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
The Ottawa Public Library apparently has 21145 e-pubs available. It also has 5576 PDFs, but most of those are probably duplicates of e-pubs.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:56 PM   #99
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
The Ottawa Public Library apparently has 21145 e-pubs available. It also has 5576 PDFs, but most of those are probably duplicates of e-pubs.
Strange... When I visit the Ottawa library's on-line book catalog it says a little over 34k epubs.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:22 PM   #100
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
It's entirely possible that the search I did was flawed in some manner. I'll happily go with the larger figure.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:34 PM   #101
Respigi
Respigi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura H2O
I live in a small town in NSW Australia and the Council library tells me there are about 3000 ebooks obtainable from them along with a heap of other stuff like magazines, audio books, news papers. etc.
Respigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:58 PM   #102
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
In many (most?) Australian places, you can join your State ebook library with a local library membership.

I'm in Western Australia. Our State Overdrive library has 26 900 epub, 6097 PDF, 27132 Overdrive Read. Fiction epubs 17 676, Nonfiction epubs 4 726. And 341 audiobooks.

Last edited by meeera; 01-16-2016 at 10:01 PM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:24 AM   #103
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
snip...

My actual local library (Hennepin County MN) is launching it's ebooks on July 19th (2010) with 700 titles.
My libraries collection has grown quite a bit from that original 700.

The current selection stands at 108,416 eBooks and 17,471 audiobooks. The audiobook section took a big drop when OverDrive dropped WMA books.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:19 AM   #104
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
In the Netherlands, the libraries now offer "thousands" of e-books. I haven't tried to find a specific number; I don't even know if it's given anywhere. Last time I checked though, you had to use the 'official' app to read the books on a tablet or phone. It was not possible to read books on an e-reader.

This is a dealbreaker for me. Not because I refuse to read on a tablet (I *DON'T* read on phones, *EVER*), but because of the fact that a tablet is shiny and hard to read in bright daylight. As someone who travels by public transport, I do a lot of my reading outside or in buses/trains. (edit: on one of the pages, they now state that e-readers can be used. They have a manual for Sony readers and Digital Editions. Possibly this manual works for Kobo and other readers in combination with Digital Editions as well.)

Another dealbreaker is that most of the e-books are in Dutch; either native, or translated. There are very few e-books in English.

Also, the membership and costs of borrowing are quite high; they are actually high enough that I can *BUY* the books and still be cheaper, especially when shopping around and/or using Kobo coupons. (It can be said that I don't read enough to make a library worthwhile. I only read around 30-35 books a year, but most of them would be 500 to 1000 pages long in a hardcover version.)

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-17-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #105
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
My library (Anoka County, MN, USA) offers thousands of ebooks, but very few science fiction or fantasy (outside of paranormal romance). They are great if you enjoy mysteries and crime/thrillers by popular authors. The Minneapolis system has much more, but since I am not a resident there, I don't have access.

Audiobooks are kindof the same way, although if the library had an extensive CD collection of a series, they are continuing to only get it via CD (In Death series by JD Robb is example). Apparently, we who get those CDs are careful with them - replacement is rare.

Last edited by Tarana; 01-17-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote