Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 11-03-2002, 11:51 AM   #1
jhutsko
jhutsko began at the beginning.

Smile

I am glad for your site and service, very good stuff. A question: In trying to get the NY Times sites to work, I get errors regarding login. I am a NY Times user and have a user id and password, both of which I've entered for the NY Times URLs you've kindly provided. Is there some trick to making the pages download and work so I can read the top news, etc? Thanks in advance for your help. Joe
Old 11-03-2002, 05:16 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Smile

Hi Joe. When I tried NY Times about 24hrs ago; both links still worked fine and didn't ask me to login.

After reading your post I tried again. This time, like in your case, NY Times complained that I didn't login. Well, I tried again - 5 minutes later. What can I say... the page worked again. Try using the New York Times 2 link. Tell me if its ok for you too.

Edit: It seems that above url is only sometimes working. Does anyone know a better alternative?
Advert
Old 01-24-2003, 10:52 PM   #3
wade
wade began at the beginning.

The best way to get NY Times is to use a site downloader like plucker or a commercial version (which I like much better) such as Offline Explorer and then convert it with Isilo. You can get ANY part of the paper (or the whole thing) and filter out the crap you dont want. It also supports passwords and login in scripts(and much, much more).

As for the question, I used to have the problem where sometimes it would ask for the password and not d/l anything but the login screen. It turned out that on the NY Times theres a logout button on each page. Download that link and next time it wants u to login in again. It was a real problem. Thankfully, Offline Explorer (as I am sure the other same-type progs all do) allows you to filter out links. I filtered out http://www.nytimes.com/logout and never had the problem again.
Old 01-25-2003, 10:17 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another good offline browser is HTTrack (unlike the Offline Explorer it is free).

Btw, channels like nytimes.com use cookies to store your login information. Because of that, you *can* use iSiloX alone to login through the member pages. Remember that iSiloX fully supports cookies!
Old 01-25-2003, 10:36 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Did I mention that the NYT-S cookie is the cookie in question?
Advert
Old 01-25-2003, 10:41 AM   #6
Ronindvm
Ronindvm began at the beginning.

I also was having problems with the NYT 1 link so I switched to the second one and I haven't had a problem since.
I have tried using IsiloX Cookie support to download the NYT magazine - thanks to help from Alexander, but every week I have to change the cookies. Does anyone have a way around that? Am I still doing something wrong?

Jon
Old 01-25-2003, 10:50 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Ronindvm,

What is the link of the NYT magazine that you are downloading? And what cookies are you using? Make sure you enable send/receive cookies in iSiloX as well.

When you give me the link, I will try to set it up myself and tell you what I've found.
Old 01-25-2003, 01:41 PM   #8
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Oooo. Yea, I'd love to get the NYT Magazine every week.

Though I think I read too much as is
Old 01-26-2003, 07:35 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Ok I played with it for a bit. If you want, try out the attached .ixl file. You must only insert your values for the two cookies NYT-S and RMID. I excluded images, resulting file is about 200k big. You might try to add images with resize and compress on.

Alex
Attached Files
File Type: ixl nytmag.ixl (3.7 KB, 621 views)
Old 01-26-2003, 10:43 AM   #10
Ronindvm
Ronindvm began at the beginning.

I had 2 other cookies in my .ixl also, since I didn't know which ones were important. Maybe that's why it stopped working with each new issue. I'll try this and see what happens. Thanks.

btw, that was the url Sorry, I don't have internet access at home so I often get behind on weekends.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:55 PM   #11
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Hey Alexander,

Thanks for uploading this ixl attachment for the NYT Mag. Also, I haven't mentioned it yet, but GREAT JOB on the new WCC. Very cool!!

Ok. NYT Mag, I'm having two issues:

1.) I'm getting the stinkin' login screen, so obviously I've got a cookie issue. Is there any easy way for us mere mortals to fix this? Tips, tricks, advice?

2.) The destination tag came up as C:\isilo\converted (or something similar), so everyone needs to change/add the Hotsync path to their hotsync name...

Thanks again for all your hard work!
Old 01-30-2003, 04:25 PM   #12
archituz
Connoisseur
archituz doesn't litterarchituz doesn't litter

I love the NYTimes Sunday Magazine link. Thanks
Does anyone have a link to the NYTimes daily Metro Section?
Marty
Old 01-31-2003, 01:13 AM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally posted by sUnShInE@Jan 30 2003, 07:55 PM
1.) I'm getting the stinkin' login screen, so obviously I've got a cookie issue. Is there any easy way for us mere mortals to fix this? Tips, tricks, advice?
Sunshine, did you replace the values for the cookies that I included in the ixl file?
Old 01-31-2003, 01:51 AM   #14
sUnShInE
Drama Queen

Hmmm. Uhhh. Apparently not I guess.

Some instructions would be helpful.

TIA
Old 01-31-2003, 03:39 AM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Ok, I added a small tutorial on how to fish out cookies. You find it there:

http://www.turcic.com/forums/showthr...=&threadid=258