Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 05-13-2006, 01:53 AM   #16
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Oh, I agree whole-heartedly with that, and didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I just think it's a bit of an odd move for the newer, higher-priced model to drop some functions that were on older, lower-priced ones (i.e. dimmer screen, no built-in flash-drive functionality, whatever).
Actually, the TX is $100 (USD) cheaper than the T5. I saw both models in-stores after the TX was released, and the T5 was still priced higher. I'm not certain if this is still the case, however.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 05:04 AM   #17
Dick Tracy
Detective
Dick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Palm TX
The T5 has been discontinued.

We who post in forums like this one are not typical Palm customers.
Dick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2006, 11:03 AM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
Actually, the TX is $100 (USD) cheaper than the T5. I saw both models in-stores after the TX was released, and the T5 was still priced higher.
All of the T line are ~$400 when they first come out
Of course what the retailer does isn't necessarily indicative of the MSRP.

As Dick Tracy notes, the T5 has been discontinued, and I'm thinkin' it was discontinued around the time the T|X came out (though I could easily be misremembering). In any event, there are always a number of the "last" model floating around after they're discontinued, so you doubtless saw one of those, and the retailer was probably trying to get as much out of it as he could, as retailers will do.

My point, though, was that T|X is a generation later than the T5, and it had what could be considered downgrades on a couple of features. I'm not saying Palm shouldn't do such a thing, I'm not even saying it was a bad move, just that it seemed like an odd move to me. Of course, Palm doesn't ring me up and clear their reasoning for their design decisions with me, so I'm left to assume that they had some reason for doing something that seems odd from my perspective. I suppose I could get all riled and upset about it, but that takes a lot of energy, and doesn't really accomplish anything except raising my blood pressure, so I believe I'll stick with option "A."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Tracy
We who post in forums like this one are not typical Palm customers.
I was going to contest this for my own account at first, DT, but then I thought about it, and realized that since I only use my Pilot mostly for its original primary design purpose (organizer), plus a few extras (like e-reading!), I likely don't qualify as a "typical" Palm user either.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote