Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 10:57 AM   #31
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
the 600 is a downgrade from the 700 in my mind hardware wise, I do believe there will be a firmware update soon from sony for the 700 giving us dictionary support to the 700. the only feature that I think might not happen is scribble writing.

anyway. for people who want to check this is the url where it would show up http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...00&SelectOS=30

I don't expect it for atleast 2 days, probably closer to a couple of weeks.
huh? on what do you base 600 to be a downgrade? better contrast, annotations, dictionary..?
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #32
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
Well, it's basically the same device, they just removed the sidelights. This allowed the touchscreen to be closer to the e-ink and thus increased contrast. The freehand notes and dictionary are software based upgrades.

The 600 has the exact same cpu, screen and the rest than the 700, they just installed a different "Operating System" on it. (I know, it's not actually a change of OS but the analogy stands)
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #33
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el.astrologo View Post
Well, it's basically the same device, they just removed the sidelights. This allowed the touchscreen to be closer to the e-ink and thus increased contrast. The freehand notes and dictionary are software based upgrades.

The 600 has the exact same cpu, screen and the rest than the 700, they just installed a different "Operating System" on it. (I know, it's not actually a change of OS but the analogy stands)
..and again how is that a downgrade? if as said they are basically the same..
yes the 700 had side lights but it was the lights that led to bad screen contrast.

Anyway, I hope its true that annotations is just a firmware issue so people can get a firmware update or find a way to switch "operating system".
Old 08-27-2009, 09:24 PM   #34
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

To be precise, an upgrade is the installation of a newer version of a program or the replacing of an existing system component with a newer component, while downgrade is to reduce the complexity, to remove unnecessary parts, or to reduce the number of parts.

Keeping that in mind, I did not say that it was a downgrade, Andybaby did. What I did say is that hardware-wise it has fewer features.

Last edited by el.astrologo; 08-27-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:55 AM   #35
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
the contrast is improved in the 600, that's it, the side lights are gone, which is one of the reasons I bought the 700.

poor contrast isn't an issue as no matter where I am I can read it just fine. including the dark. I like my integrated lights.

and I did say hardware wise, and hard ware wise there are only about 3 changes.

it removed the lights and 2 buttons, and that's about it. everything else is virtually the same.

I would like them to port the firmware over already.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 04:05 AM   #36
lev
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
the contrast is improved in the 600, that's it, the side lights are gone, which is one of the reasons I bought the 700.

poor contrast isn't an issue as no matter where I am I can read it just fine. including the dark. I like my integrated lights.

and I did say hardware wise, and hard ware wise there are only about 3 changes.

it removed the lights and 2 buttons, and that's about it. everything else is virtually the same.

I would like them to port the firmware over already.
I guess you are right in that it has no light. oh well, I think I will be happy using an external book light.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:07 AM   #37
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
To me, it's a downgrade as well. IMO Sony acknowledges this fact by giving it a lower number in their series, just as the 300 is definitely a step down from their 500 series.
I've seen the 600 at the SonyStyle store and although removing the side lighting and glass does bring you closer to the eink and give the reader more clarity, IMO, the reader would be even clearer without the touchscreen and the side lighting still in place. However, glass glare would still be an issue.

Whichever Sony series they're in, I love my 2 readers so much, that I wanted to adopt their baby sister, the 600, and complete the family. I'm sure that bundle will bring just as much joy as her little sister, the 505, and big sister, the 700.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #38
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lev View Post
I guess you are right in that it has no light. oh well, I think I will be happy using an external book light.
yeah I wouldn't mind an external light all that much. except when I need it an not have it (like when I'm waiting or am on the bus and need the light) when at home I could use an external light.

so the integrated light is a huge plus for me, cause I do wait for the bus after dark alot, and use it all the time.

what I'm saying is its no reason to replace my 700.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #39
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
According to Wikipedia I've read that the Daily Edition will be called PRS-2121. I think that's a mighty big jump in series numbers for what they're offering. I wonder if the prototype was just to get the public's reaction and comments and that the real Daily Edition will be quite a bit different.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:26 PM   #40
Andybaby
Wizard

that's interesting. if you ask my the whole Numbered system is just plain dumb.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #41
ZyXeL
ZyXeL began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700 & PRS-600
Hello,

I have a PRS-700 and got today a PRS-600 for my wife.

There is a super cool function in the 600 firmware which I'm missing at my 700 all the time!!! I really hope Sony will bring this funtion to the 700 too!

It's if you are using the font size "M": The 700 has the problem that the printed page now is larger than the screen and you have always some lines on the next page. The 600 is able to show the beginning of the next page direct below the end of the page before! Full pages of text all the time!

THIS function for me is much more important than having a dictionary.

Sorry for my poor english. I'm from Germany and bought both readers in the USA.

Best regards,

ZyXeL
ZyXeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:39 PM   #42
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
Well, after a long while. I decided to check out the Series6 and see why would
SONY abandon updating the 7series firmware. Upon closer inspection, the 6 is
practically the same device minus the lightpanel. But the software would have
no problem running on the 7. So my own conclusion is that the 7 (now discontinued)
will not be getting the firmware update (for marketing reasons) and the 6 will be
the 7's 'replacement'

Having said that, the 6 was by far a better build and sleeker. The contrast is
*NATURALLY* clearer but still has a layer so its not as crip as the 5. I like
the firmware, seemed very snappy and the handwriting alone is worth the updgrade!!

I'm a bit displeased with Sony, after being contacted personally by one of
their own online NINJAS to appear 'concerned' nothing came of it and still no
final call from customer service. SonyListens, but Sony failed to act.

I'd like to see Igorsk somehow port into the 6 and cookup a homebrew 7
series firmware. I don't see why this can't be done...
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:49 AM   #43
el.astrologo
Groupie

I would like that as well, though from what I've read around here, the 600's firmware appears to be encrypted somehow which slows down any real progess.

I wish I had that firmware update for the 700.. there's no way in Narnia I will buy another unit at least until readers get color or wifi (at a reasonable price).
Old 10-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #44
ksri99
ksri99 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700BC
Repenting PRS-700 purchase.

PRS-700 is my first eBook reader. I bought it last December and at that time Kindle was the only other noted branded reader. I went for Sony for its brand and trust in their innovation and quality and also that I have many PDF books which was a big issue with kindle at that time. I initially was OK with my sony as I have not seen any other readers, not even Sony 505, as they were not available in stores other than Sony showroom.

About 6 months back I saw 505 in a fry's store and then realized what I was missing and all the complaints the users were making on forums made a lot of sence. I then realized that the 700 contrast was the reason why I'm not reading that much and my reader was just lying idle, not in use. I bought it for $400+ when it was released fresh into the market. Now seeing all the other readers that came in, costing lot lesser and with such good features I feel what a bad purchase this was. I feel many Sony fans who bought PRS-700 might re-think about Sony on their next gadget purchase. I feel Sony should at least have courtesy to its customers and release a firmware upgrade to give it possible features of 600. We know contrast is something we have to live with. But, anything that improves 700 from what it is today should be done and not just dump one of its child as it was not a planned one. I feel victim of Sony's failed experiment and $400 is not a small amount for me.

I think it will be a good idea to wait a bit if anyone who already own a eReader is going for an upgrade. I see a lot of promising readers with decent price coming out in the market. I would not buy a Sony anymore...
ksri99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #45
katewilly
Enthusiast
katewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavens

Device: sony 700, iTouch, iPhone, nook, iPad 2
I've been happy with my 700, but angry there has been no firmware upgrade. I would like a dictionary. I'm seriously looking at B&N's Nook for my next purchase. My 700 is less than a year old, and I'm not ready to plunk down another $400 yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksri99 View Post
I feel many Sony fans who bought PRS-700 might re-think about Sony on their next gadget purchase. I feel Sony should at least have courtesy to its customers and release a firmware upgrade to give it possible features of 600. We know contrast is something we have to live with. But, anything that improves 700 from what it is today should be done and not just dump one of its child as it was not a planned one. I feel victim of Sony's failed experiment and $400 is not a small amount for me.

I think it will be a good idea to wait a bit if anyone who already own a eReader is going for an upgrade. I see a lot of promising readers with decent price coming out in the market. I would not buy a Sony anymore...
katewilly is offline   Reply With Quote