Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-24-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Thoughts on Cybook freezing at boot time

I've got the latest downloadable firmware (796 I think) and three or four times in the six months I've had the thing it has frozen while booting up - , it's frozen on the startup screen (The screen with Bill Clinton and all the little books on).
Only prodding at the reset switch while plugging/unplugging from the computer made it spring to life. Simple pressing of the reset button didn't work.

Recently, I've stopped using auto-off and turned the cybook off manually every time, and haven't had the freeze up since.

On the post hoc ergo propter hoc principle, I've linked the two facts and concluded that the auto-off feature enables it to get its software in a twist and causes the freeze-ups.

Do all those with freeze problems use auto-off, or is my theory flawed?
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Depends ....

Mine used to freeze on occasion and I 'cured' that by not using an SD card!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2009, 07:05 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
I've got the latest downloadable firmware (796 I think) and three or four times in the six months I've had the thing it has frozen while booting up - , it's frozen on the startup screen (The screen with Bill Clinton and all the little books on).
Only prodding at the reset switch while plugging/unplugging from the computer made it spring to life. Simple pressing of the reset button didn't work.
Forgive me for asking, but do you know that the reset button simply powers off the machine, and that after pressing it, you then have to press the power switch to turn the machine on again?

Occasional hanging on boot is a known issue, but I've never heard of a simple reset not working for anyone before.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
but do you know that the reset button simply powers off the machine, and that after pressing it, you then have to press the power switch to turn the machine on again?

Occasional hanging on boot is a known issue, but I've never heard of a simple reset not working for anyone before.
the reset button did nothing at all. didn't turn the machine off, or anything else, and no amount of pressing on off switches either made any difference - it stayed frozen on, which I found quite unnerving. I was considering removing the battery.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Forgive me for asking, but do you know that the reset button simply powers off the machine, and that after pressing it, you then have to press the power switch to turn the machine on again?
That's no longer true for the new firmware-builds.
Since 820 pressing the reset-button leads to a reset followed by a turn-on of the device. (Not that it really matters )
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2009, 07:44 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
the reset button did nothing at all. didn't turn the machine off, or anything else, and no amount of pressing on off switches either made any difference - it stayed frozen on, which I found quite unnerving. I was considering removing the battery.
Yes, I can see that would be extremely unnerving! I've not heard of that happening to anyone before.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Recently, I've stopped using auto-off and turned the cybook off manually every time, and haven't had the freeze up since.
The only times where i've seen the reset buton "inactive", was when my baterry was totally depleted (oups). The Cybook then display the same page (it don't acctually requiers power) until pluged onto a power source. Maybe the problem is the baterry somehow.

Quote:
Depends ....
Mine used to freeze on occasion and I 'cured' that by not using an SD card!
Same for me. Is the led on ? In my case it was, the the cybook froze like this.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 04-24-2009 at 08:58 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
bypass
bypass began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
I do use the auto off and get the occasional freeze. hitting reset and restarting always fixes the problem.

I will not offer to test your theory Ned as I don't like the battery drain of leaving it on (and I would forget to turn it off) but I suspected myself that this might be the cause.
bypass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Pressing the rest button just resets it - it doesn't restart it. After pressing the reset button you have to press the on/off button on the top to turn it on again.

[edit] whoops - I must remember to read to the end of the thread before posting!

Quote:
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

/me feels ignored...
Old 04-24-2009, 10:44 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
That's no longer true for the new firmware-builds.
Since 820 pressing the reset-button leads to a reset followed by a turn-on of the device. (Not that it really matters )
Obviously a feature in a newer firmware than I run on my Cy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
/me feels ignored...
Sorry, why ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
Pulp
Palm Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Sorry, why ?
This was not to be take too seriously - pdurrant read my post later anyways
Old 04-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #13
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
My Cybook has frozen up like that before and no amount of poking and prodding has fixed it. The only thing that fixes it when it is in that state is plugging it into power and letting the battery charge, therefore, I think it only happens when I've let the battery get too low (I don't watch my battery that closely so I don't really know for sure).
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:37 PM   #14
Ned
Ebook reader

Interesting. As far as I recall the battery counter showed over 50% at the time (I never let it get below that), but it did need to be plugged into the power to sort it, so it may well be power related. Perhaps the battery counter is not too reliable then.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:12 PM   #15
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I've never used the auto off feature, and since I've instaled fw796, those freezes happened to me about 3-4 times in 6-7 months. Usually it gets stuck in the same screen with the green light on. Pressing the reset button turns that led (and the whole machine) off.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote