Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2017, 11:46 AM   #196
ShortNet
Connoisseur
ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (all flavors from 1 thru Oasis)
My Oasis settings state the latest update was 5.8.2. Only missing 9 updates - time to bring it to the office and connect to wifi. I wonder if it has to install all of the intermediary updates, or if 5.8.11 will cover for the missing ones.
ShortNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:57 AM   #197
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNet View Post
My Oasis settings state the latest update was 5.8.2. Only missing 9 updates - time to bring it to the office and connect to wifi. I wonder if it has to install all of the intermediary updates, or if 5.8.11 will cover for the missing ones.
Every update is a full system image. You only need install the latest.

Note that you are extremely unlikely to get 5.8.11 "over the air" for weeks yet - new updates are rolled out gradually. If you want it, download it and update manually.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #198
ShortNet
Connoisseur
ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (all flavors from 1 thru Oasis)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Every update is a full system image. You only need install the latest.

Note that you are extremely unlikely to get 5.8.11 "over the air" for weeks yet - new updates are rolled out gradually. If you want it, download it and update manually.
Thanks! I'm glad to hear that I won't have to watch it update again and again. Much easier to just have a single overarching update.
ShortNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #199
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Note that you are extremely unlikely to get 5.8.11 "over the air" for weeks yet - new updates are rolled out gradually.
Ahhh! You just answered the exact question that I came here to ask. I was wondering why my PW3 hadn't gotten this update yet.

Since I'm new to the PW3, can anyone tell me, are these updates typically stable? Or are we being a guinea pigs for possibly buggy releases when we download/install one manually prior to it coming out "over the air"? Should we run into problems with a release, is there a method to roll back the installation to a previous firmware?
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:21 PM   #200
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Ahhh! You just answered the exact question that I came here to ask. I was wondering why my PW3 hadn't gotten this update yet.

Since I'm new to the PW3, can anyone tell me, are these updates typically stable? Or are we being a guinea pigs for possibly buggy releases when we download/install one manually prior to it coming out "over the air"? Should we run into problems with a release, is there a method to roll back the installation to a previous firmware?
I've always downloaded the updates and applied them manually, I'm too impatient to wait for over the air. I've never had an issue.

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-18-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2017, 12:57 PM   #201
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
They are generally pretty stable. Bugs tend to be minor and when they occur it is usually at least a month until the next update comes out to fix them.

The Kindle firmware has protection against rolling back to an older release. Once you upgrade there is no going back (unless you have it jailbroken or open it up to access the internal serial port.)

Last edited by jhowell; 10-18-2017 at 12:59 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #202
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNet View Post
Go to the Amazon page for your device, download the current image (5.8.11) follow their directions to install.

If you want to jail break that device so you can use any of our after-market add-ins, do so before you update it.
That is: You can jb 5.8.2 but not (yet) 5.8.11

As posted above, Amazon switched to complete images sometime around 5.3.x (right at the time they introduced the first Paperwhite).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:59 PM   #203
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Why can't you contact Amazon?
Do they have you locked out?
No, but, to requote Barty:
“the more people asking the better the chance they'll add it”
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:47 AM   #204
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I still haven't got the 5.8.11 update....

I never had any luck Downloading & Installing.... Patience is getting very thin, esp with all the good reviews about it!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:59 AM   #205
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
The ability to make fonts bolder makes this upgrade well worth it. Palatino at Bold 1 (2, in lower light) and Size 3 is about right (at least on the book I'm currently reading). Sometimes, in better light, I drop down a font size to 2. This matches up well with Constantia on my Kindle Touch (KT1?). Fonts that were too light were always my main gripe with the Kindles (starting with the Touch). The original Kindles (at least the Kindle Keyboard, and the Basic ones without a touch screen from 2011 and 2012) had darker fonts. I still like those fonts just fine and still read on my 2012 Black non-touch Kindle.

With the 5.8.11 update, I like this Basic Touch, 8th Generation (KT3?) much better. Now I don't have to worry about a font hack (though I still like Constantia better than Palatino, it's close enough now).

Last edited by rcentros; 10-26-2017 at 05:01 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:59 AM   #206
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The ability to make fonts bolder makes this upgrade well worth it. Palatino at Bold 1 (2, in lower light) and Size 3 is about right (at least on the book I'm currently reading). Sometimes, in better light, I drop down a font size to 2. This matches up well with Constantia on my Kindle Touch (KT1?). Fonts that were too light were always my main gripe with the Kindles (starting with the Touch). The original Kindles (at least the Kindle Keyboard, and the Basic ones without a touch screen from 2011 and 2012) had darker fonts. I still like those fonts just fine and still read on my 2012 Black non-touch Kindle.

With the 5.8.11 update, I like this Basic Touch, 8th Generation (KT3?) much better. Now I don't have to worry about a font hack (though I still like Constantia better than Palatino, it's close enough now).
I agree with this... although even before this update I was relatively happy with the Voyage. This patch made it even better.
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:35 AM   #207
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post

I never had any luck Downloading & Installing.... Patience is getting very thin, esp with all the good reviews about it!
There is no luck involved. Download the update, and copy it to the root directory of the USB-mounted drive. The "update" item on the menu should then be enabled. The only thing to be careful of is that you download the update file for the correct device. It won't do any harm if you download the wrong file, but the "Update" menu item will stay greyed-out.

Last edited by HarryT; 10-26-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:00 AM   #208
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
And disconnect the USB cable from your PC
shamanNS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:39 PM   #209
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Well, yes .
Old 10-26-2017, 02:41 PM   #210
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post

Patience, my young padawan! If you rely on them sending it to you, it can take weeks, as previously mentioned. I don't have it yet either. No, I don't care enough to go looking for it, to download. But I've done that in the past, and it works when I do it.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font_ramp