Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-27-2016, 02:39 AM   #1
notger
Enthusiast
notger is a rising star in the heavensnotger is a rising star in the heavensnotger is a rising star in the heavensnotger is a rising star in the heavensnotger is a rising star in the heavensnotger is a rising star in the heavensnotger is a rising star in the heavensnotger is a rising star in the heavensnotger is a rising star in the heavensnotger is a rising star in the heavensnotger is a rising star in the heavens

Device: onyx m96
Kitkat Android 4.4 Users, lets collect Bugs here

Hi,

I contacted Booxtor to ask about new kitkat releases.
He meant its not high in priority right now.
But he asked me to collect known Bugs of the lastest (2015) kitkat release.

So please post Bugs you found here, but please be careful, cause i guess some devices were/are just not ready for kitkat.
Likle it seems the T68 has quite some troubles.
So Bugs like "nothing works" will not be very helpful.
I guess the most helpful Bugsfinders are those who use their reader on a daily or weekly base.
Try to be as precise as possible with describing the Bug, and please give the Bug a Name/Title.

greets
Notger
notger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:15 AM   #2
afainber
Connoisseur
afainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boyue Likebook Plus, Inkbook Explore
Connectivity does not work

When installing KitKat on Onyx Boox T68 Plus, cannot turn on Wifi and cannot turn on Bluetooth.

Trying turn on any of them does nothing.
afainber is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by afainber View Post
When installing KitKat on Onyx Boox T68 Plus, cannot turn on Wifi and cannot turn on Bluetooth.

Trying turn on any of them does nothing.
I had the same problem (not sure if "me too" posts are very helpful, but it might help to verify that it's a problem of the ROM rather than something unrelated).
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #4
afainber
Connoisseur
afainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzli View Post
I had the same problem (not sure if "me too" posts are very helpful, but it might help to verify that it's a problem of the ROM rather than something unrelated).

On a different thread in this forum I read that someone has 4.4 on his T68+ and that his Wifi is much slower than on 4.0.4. This means he has Wifi

I wonder why you and I don't, then.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:54 PM   #5
afainber
Connoisseur

This is what I meant:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnick View Post
T68+ wireless is slower than M96+ wireless on KitKat. I get about 35% of my max wireless speed using T68+. Bluetooth works for keyboards, but if you're a fast typist you'll have to slow down. It doesn't keep up, but also appears to not lose anything you type for awhile.

On either the T68+ or the M96+ I had to reflash kitkat a few times before I had what seemed to be a non-buggy build. It's been awhile since I did it so I don't recall what the issue was. I believe on the T68+ it was that the touchscreen kept interpreting touches as swipes, making selections of apps that I wanted to install from my account difficult to do since it would swipe from 'All' to 'Installed' when I tried to click things. I believe it did that on two flashes, then went away on the third.

I would have said that both devices seem pretty stable, but recently my M96+ stopped being able to reach google play store. Now it just gets RH-01 messages that nothing seems to fix. I'll have to reflash it. Or maybe I'll try ICS again, but my experience is that ICS is a turd on any device. I've never had better than glacial response times with it installed on any device, eink or otherwise.
Advert
Old 06-28-2016, 07:48 PM   #6
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
That's me alright. It's been awhile since I've run ICS so I can't comment on the speed of the T68+ on ICS vs KK.

On the M96+ (since this isn't a device-specific thread) I have noticed that the speakers frequently make a crack sound. I would call it 'crack' more than crackle, but whatever.. It's not a regular occurrence, and it seems to happen less when actively used, but I do hear it quite a bit. I used to think it might be a way for the system to notify that it's doing something, similar to vibrating, but since it seems to do it randomly I would guess that's not the case.
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:40 AM   #7
bsnick
Zealot

I reflashed my T68+ & M96+ with the KK rom. M96+ works the same with no problems yet, and the T68+, while downloading at the same approximate speed (maybe a little faster) seems to be processing things faster.

Unfortunately, when I was most of the way through installing things I found that the touch screen stopped working. It seems that using the physical buttons is what causes this to happen. I don't recall having that problem earlier in the install so it might be something I installed.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:04 PM   #8
afainber
Connoisseur

I wonder why Wifi and Bluetooth don't work for me when they do work for you.

I'll re-flashing a couple more times and see if this changes anything.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:22 PM   #9
bsnick
Zealot

I keep getting confused and keep posting in the 'Android 4.4, ? whats going on' thread.

As I posted over there my T68+ is from Banggood, not Booxter, as his ereader store stopped carrying the T68+ just when I wanted to get it. That could be the cause.

I suspect the KK rom isn't Booxter's design because it doesn't have the contrast and volume button options that his ICS roms did. Maybe the KK was done by Onyx and the Banggood T68+ was different in hardware from the Booxter version. Maybe Booxter could weigh in on that.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:12 PM   #10
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
I've also got my t68+from banggood, but do experience the WiFi problems (though I tried a while ago, don't really have the time to go through the whole setup process in case things don't work again at the moment). So that may not be thee deciding difference, I suppose.
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:51 PM   #11
bsnick
Zealot

Not-Exactly-A-Bug: The default epub reader allows you to rotate documents, but I rotated a document 90 degrees clockwise so it was in landscape. I decided to rotate it back but it wouldn't rotate back. I quickly figured out that the buttons are misleading. They show the orientation of a rectangular screen, which looks like the T68+. I was trying to rotate back to portrait mode by clicking what appeared to be a T68+ in portrait mode. Instead, what rotated the screen back to normal was clicking what looked like a T68+ on its side.

Not really a bug, I suppose, but when looking at those icons it is intuitive to click on the icon that looks like how you want the reader to look. Do you want to read your book with maximum left-to-right display? Click the picture of the ereader on its side in landscape mode. Want to read it so you get the most top-to-bottom at the expense of left-to-right? Click the picture of the ereader in portrait mode. The way it is now would be logical if different icons were used, but these icons are completely misleading.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #12
johh
johh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: I86HD ML Plus , T68
Any news about new kitkat build?

Wysłane z mojego LG-H736 przy użyciu Tapatalka
johh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:47 AM   #13
johh
johh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverjohh exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: I86HD ML Plus , T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by johh View Post
Any news about new kitkat build?
Once again what about android 4.4 . It shame that there is no update from one year.
johh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:17 PM   #14
bsnick
Zealot

Somewhere on the forum someone said something like that they wanted to work on the apps so that they reached the point where the only update you would need would be the apps being updated via play store. Dunno if that would mean they'd continue with KK, or if they'd just have the apps install on KK.

I was considering copying apps from an ICS build onto a KK device, but I don't want to bork my devices if it goes wrong.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:22 AM   #15
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
In the end, from my experience with the i86, which i consider a good reader, having android didn't proved so much useful in compare with the old m92 linux based software.
I ended up using all default readers plus some minimal apps like AdAway (in case i want to sleep watching a newspaper website) or Argus Touch Blocker,Swapps, ES File Explorer.
Utilities to improve the user interface, not to give me valuable extra features.
What i would like them to fix it's the annoying "no lock" issue.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote