Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 01-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #181
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
No, the password is correct. It is "www.lectoreselectronicos.com"
Because of the dots in it better to include it inside double quotes, if a command line switch is used.

However, the file is rar, not zip. Perhaps you renamed it to .zip and somehow it is causing the problem? Try naming it .rar

The file to try is cr3.0.57-15-51-1-eink-jotas.apk
The other two are for Nook and for T1/T2. Still, they might be worth a try if there are problems with the first one, such as buttons not working in settings or in the file manager, etc.
Yes, I figured out the "rar" bit just before your post came! The password worked perfectly once I had it saved as a rar file.

I have the eInk apk installed. Yes, the physical buttons work, but the opposite of what you'd expect. Left button turns the page forward; right button turns the page back. The app seems to work fine on my T63 after a few minutes of playing with it.

Edit: Also, when you select a book in your library, CoolReader will appear in the list of reader apps to choose from. You can select it as your default reader.

Last edited by downeaster59; 01-10-2017 at 04:16 PM.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #182
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
UPDATE: fixed both side buttons to do the page_down. I've also made the device wake on either of side buttons. It's a bit of the hack, tho. Unzip the rk29-keypad.kl from the attached zip file and then plug your T63 to a computer (with adb installed), unmount T63's internal card and from the same directory as the rk29-keypad.kl file do:
Code:
adb push rk29-keypad.kl /sdcard/
adb shell cp /sdcard/rk29-keypad.kl /system/usr/keylayout/
If you change the side buttons assignment from the settings, it *should* undo the change.

PS. I've tried using button remapper from XDA, but it didn't list the 104/109 codes at all.

PPS. Turns out wake on side buttons is a hit or miss.
Attached Files
File Type: zip rk29-keypad.kl.zip (309 Bytes, 167 views)

Last edited by stangri; 01-10-2017 at 04:41 PM.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2017, 04:20 PM   #183
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonbp View Post
Mines dark at the top and light at the bottom too.
Thanks for replying. What a bummer. Considering how much it costs to return the device, now I'm not sure if I should just send it back for refund or try a replacement or keep the one I have. If it wasn't for the uneven backlight it's perfect.

Quote:
I'd like a shortcut for turning on the light, screen refresh and for switching buttons around, I turned over in bed last night and had to go into settings.
One way of doing that thru paid Button Savior was posted above. I do however like the ability of Play Books to adjust the brightness without leaving the app (however e-ink unfriendly it gets if you push slider to the left).

Last edited by stangri; 01-10-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:48 PM   #184
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
Thanks for replying. What a bummer. Considering how much it costs to return the device, now I'm not sure if I should just send it back for refund or try a replacement or keep the one I have. If it wasn't for the uneven backlight it's perfect.

One way of doing that thru paid Button Savior was posted above. I do however like the ability of Play Books to adjust the brightness without leaving the app (however e-ink unfriendly it gets if you push slider to the left).
Mine is also slightly darker at the top. Every person I have contacted who has a T63 says the same. The effect is more noticeable in some apps than others. Maybe I'm used to it, but I scarcely notice it when reading.

Besides button savior, check out Swapps. It's a side launcher that you only see when you swipe from left side (or any side). You can add your favorite apps, the brightness control, and many other functions. I haven't tried it yet on the T63, but it worked well on my previous e-ink devices.

Edit: Just installed Swapps and added the Brightness control (found in applications). Works like a charm!

Last edited by downeaster59; 01-10-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #185
carltonbp
Connoisseur
carltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enough

Device: Icarus Illumina
Thanks, I haven't rooted mine. I'll have to look into it, do you have a link as a starting point. I've rooted tablet but never my ereaders?
carltonbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #186
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
After spending some more time with T63, some conclusions from the long-time Kindle user.

The screen backlighting isn't perfect/uniform. It's visibly darker at the top and visibly brighter at the bottom of the screen. Maybe I was spoiled by Kindle Voyage which is (screen-wise) the most perfect e-ink reader I've ever had. If all you ladies and gentlemen do not have this problem, I'd ship mine back to BG (it's very pricey from Canada) for replacement -- let me know please.

The biggest reason I got the Android-based e-ink reader was Play Books, Overdrive and WiFi sync. They all work. My local library has huge queues for the popular ebooks so I haven't actually read anything with Overdrive yet, but Play Books works very well. With animations disabled it's lightning-quick on page turns.

All is not perfect however -- Play Books hijacks the screen brightness control so the built-in brightness control does nothing while in Play Books, on the other hand you can (to an extent) control brightness from inside the Play Books app.

Also, Play Books dims, but doesn't hide the system bar and disabling it in settings leaves me without the home button. I know people love button savior here, I find its icons ugly on T63 and prefer the full!screen, however the latter keeps crashing all the time, especially if you try to use its system bar hiding.

What I find most annoying tho is that I couldn't figure out the way to (hack) both physical side buttons to turn page down. I very rarely need to go back (and if I do, I'd swipe the screen), it would be great if I could use either left or right buttons to flip page down.

It's also quite annoying (although not catastrophic) that when you close the case the T63 doesn't sleep. I got so used to that with Voyage, why didn't Boyue think of implementing the same feature? It's not like magnets are prohibitively expensive after all.

Finally, the shutdown wallpaper has Chinese on it and I wish I could change it just like the sleep wallpaper (mine is attached).

Thank you for replying! Now that I've discovered Play Books manages brightness on its own, it's not as important to me but still -- I don't think I have brightness in the app drawer as is. Did you install additional app? This one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lin.brightness or something else?
I'm using Nova launcher - you can see more apps that way. Play books has a setting for brightness control, you need to set it to auto. It may be in font selection area.

Sent from my T62+ using Tapatalk
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:04 PM   #187
stangri
Addict

Quote:
Thanks, I haven't rooted mine. I'll have to look into it, do you have a link as a starting point. I've rooted tablet but never my ereaders?
There's a ZIP file in the tips & tricks post I think with the batch-file for Windows users to root your T63 and/or install Play Store on it.

Bootloader isn't locked on T63 and with a simple adb command you can mount /system partition for writing, so "rooting" process involves copying a su binary to /system and installing a superuser apk.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:07 PM   #188
stangri
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I'm using Nova launcher - you can see more apps that way. Play books has a setting for brightness control, you need to set it to auto. It may be in font selection area.
Ah, right, I forgot the stock "launcher/app drawer" doesn't show all the apps. Thanks for reminder. For now I'm happy with using Play Books to manage brightness.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #189
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Yes, the physical buttons work, but the opposite of what you'd expect. Left button turns the page forward; right button turns the page back.
Cool Reader allows to remap the buttons. I actually have next and previous buttons swapped.
You can assign various actions to the buttons for single press, for double press and for long press. So 3 actions for each button.

But please test if the buttons also work in the file manager and in settings.
Go to the list of your books and try to go through it page-by-page. Or in settings.
For example, if you want to swap the next and previous buttons you have to: - go to settings
- then to the tab with the picture of the hand with the finger
- then to "Key actions"
- then to, let's say, "Prev button"
and then you have a long list of actions to assign to it. Try navigating through them with next / prev buttons. Do they work there?
You don't have to go so deep, you can probably test the buttons in settings at the top level - certainly in landscape, not sure about portrait.

As to selecting Cool Reader as the default reader.
I use a different approach. I just launch Cool Reader and never leave it
So I select a book while already in Cool Reader and not what reader to open for a book.
I often use "Recent books" list. A long tap on a book in that list opens a list of options including one to go directly to the folder of the book. I find it very useful for opening new books: if they are in the same series and thus in the same folder, or just in folders close to navigate to.

My main concern is this: how to switch off the indexing of the books by the native software (because it takes a long time and cannot even handle too many books). If you use Cool Reader this way - you don't need anything else to handle the library. On linux devices, using hidden folder usually works fine: if I make the root of my library folder structure a hidden folder, no indexing is performed.
So I have all my books in a folder
.BOOKZ
The dot solves the problem.
But on the android reader T2 a different hack was implemented, requiring a special flag file to be present in the book root directory.
However, the initial dot could work with android as well because the dot also makes the folder hidden.

Could you test this: put some books into such a hidden folder and see if those books are detected and included into your book collection (or whatever it is).
They should not be detected, but still accessible from Cool Reader - that would be perfect.

And if you could test yet another thing: is the external memory card accessible from Cool Reader?
I am asking this because some time ago there was an issue reported with the official Cool Reader (not from jotas) - the external card was not accessible from android 4.x (or from some more specific 4.x.x version) but everything was OK with earlier android versions.
I don't know if it was fixed and if Cool Reader by jotas was affected at all.
Perhaps it was an issue with android itself.
Perhaps the external card needs to be properly mounted first or something.
It works fine with my android 2.1 T2

Last edited by parkher; 01-10-2017 at 05:39 PM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:14 PM   #190
carltonbp
Connoisseur
carltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enough

Device: Icarus Illumina
THanks, I found this page which Downeaster says he used the T6x but then the bottom poster has created a bit of a mess. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3+root&page=26

I'll figure it out and make a decision.
carltonbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #191
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Cool Reader allows to remap the buttons. I actually have next and previous buttons swapped.
You can assign various actions to the buttons for single press, for double press and for long press. So 3 actions for each button.

But please test if the buttons also work in the file manager and in settings.
Go to the list of your books and try to go through it page-by-page. Or in settings.
For example, if you want to swap the next and previous buttons you have to: - go to settings
- then to the tab with the picture of the hand with the finger
- then to "Key actions"
- then to, let's say, "Prev button"
and then you have a long list of actions to assign to it. Try navigating through them with next / prev buttons. Do they work there?
You don't have to go so deep, you can probably test the buttons in settings at the top level - certainly in landscape, not sure about portrait.

As to selecting Cool Reader as the default reader.
I use a different approach. I just launch Cool Reader and never leave it
So I select a book while already in Cool Reader and not what reader to open for a book.
I often use "Recent books" list. A long tap on a book in that list opens a list of options including one to go directly to the folder of the book. I find it very useful for opening new books: if they are in the same series and thus in the same folder, or just in folders close to navigate to.

My main concern is this: how to switch off the indexing of the books by the native software (because it takes a long time and cannot even handle too many books). If you use Cool Reader this way - you don't need anything else to handle the library. On linux devices, using hidden folder usually works fine: if I make the root of my library folder structure a hidden folder, no indexing is performed.
So I have all my books in a folder
.BOOKZ
The dot solves the problem.
But on the android reader T2 a different hack was implemented, requiring a special flag file to be present in the book root directory.
However, the initial dot could work with android as well because the dot also makes the folder hidden.

Could you test this: put some books into such a hidden folder and see if those books are detected and included into your book collection (or whatever it is).
They should not be detected, but still accessible from Cool Reader - that would be perfect.

And if you could test yet another thing: is the external memory card accessible from Cool Reader?
I am asking this because some time ago there was an issue reported with the official Cool Reader (not from jotas) - the external card was not accessible from android 4.x (or from some more specific 4.x.x version) but everything was OK with earlier android versions.
I don't know if it was fixed and if Cool Reader by jotas was affected at all.
Perhaps it was an issue with android itself.
Perhaps the external card needs to be properly mounted first or something.
It works fine with my android 2.1 T2
Hi! Sure, I'll test all these things for you. It will also give me a good intro to what Cool Reader can do, and I can see if I like it. No promises, but I should be able to do the testing tonight or tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:03 PM   #192
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
THanks, I found this page which Downeaster says he used the T6x but then the bottom poster has created a bit of a mess. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3+root&page=26

I'll figure it out and make a decision.
YMMV, of course. But the T6x worked smoothly for me with two devices I used it with. The bottom poster in your link edited the build.prop file manually, it seems. This has nothing to do with T6x.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:23 AM   #193
downeaster59
Wizard

@parkher: Okay, here are the results of my tests of CoolReader (jotas) on my T63. If I missed anything, sorry! Please let me know!

1) Do the physical buttons work in file manager and in settings?

Yes to both. I can scroll through my book collection page-by-page with the physical buttons. I can also scroll up or down a list of folders with the buttons.

2) Switching off the indexing of books by the native (Boyue, I presume) software:

I find that if I don't go into Books, the indexing doesn't happen. If I do, the indexing is buggy. So I don't. As long as you never go there, it shouldn't be an issue.

3) Can CoolReader see/access books in hidden folders (like .Bookz)?

No. CoolReader doesn't show hidden folders at all in its list of folders. I added .Books to the internal and to the external SD cards. Neither show up in the Cool Reader folder list. Nor do any hidden folders (like .android) that are already on my device.

4) Is the external SD accessible through Cool Reader?

Yes. Except for hidden folders, CoolReader will show folders on the external SD.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #194
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
downeaster59, thanks a lot!

Everything seems to be great. I guess, I will be ordering T63 before the promotional price period ends. Their ploy works with me
I think it will eventually appear rebranded as an InkBook @ inkbook.eu but who knows when.

I am a bit surprised that hidden folders are not visible from CR, but that is a different CR version - they are visible in linux CR that comes as a part of the chess package. I should have tested on my T2 first before asking you...
However, if the indexing needs to be explicitly initiated - that does not matter as I will not do it.
So far my experience with other devices was as follows:
after I upload some books (I guess they call it sideloading) and disconnect the usb cable from PC, the device stalls for a long time while it is indexing books or checking what changed in the library, etc.
I understood that does not happen with T63.

So CR is working fine. But I am afraid there is no dictionary software that would support the buttons. CR can be integrated with dictionaries, but all the dictionaries I ever tried require scrolling. I am using GoldenDict as the best of the bad. Maybe something changed recently, though.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #195
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
downeaster59, thanks a lot!

Everything seems to be great. I guess, I will be ordering T63 before the promotional price period ends. Their ploy works with me
I think it will eventually appear rebranded as an InkBook @ inkbook.eu but who knows when.

I am a bit surprised that hidden folders are not visible from CR, but that is a different CR version - they are visible in linux CR that comes as a part of the chess package. I should have tested on my T2 first before asking you...
However, if the indexing needs to be explicitly initiated - that does not matter as I will not do it.
So far my experience with other devices was as follows:
after I upload some books (I guess they call it sideloading) and disconnect the usb cable from PC, the device stalls for a long time while it is indexing books or checking what changed in the library, etc.
I understood that does not happen with T63.

So CR is working fine. But I am afraid there is no dictionary software that would support the buttons. CR can be integrated with dictionaries, but all the dictionaries I ever tried require scrolling. I am using GoldenDict as the best of the bad. Maybe something changed recently, though.
If you do order the T63, I hope it works out well for you, and that you will enjoy using it. Overall, I am very pleased with mine.

When I sideload books, I don't get that stalling at all.