Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 03-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Flipping through sequentially-numbered images

In a response to Raynerape, I remarked that my V2 could go through sequentially-numbered JPEG images easily.

i.e. if I had Picture01.jpg, Picture02.jpg and Picture03.jpg, and clicked on Picture01.jpg, I could jump to 02 & 03 easily using the "Next page" flipper bar. In other words, I don't need to jump back "out" to the bookshelf and then to the next image. However, I haven't heard any V3 owners mention this feature, & so was wondering if this is a feature only in the V2....?
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdini View Post
In a response to Raynerape, I remarked that my V2 could go through sequentially-numbered JPEG images easily.

i.e. if I had Picture01.jpg, Picture02.jpg and Picture03.jpg, and clicked on Picture01.jpg, I could jump to 02 & 03 easily using the "Next page" flipper bar. In other words, I don't need to jump back "out" to the bookshelf and then to the next image. However, I haven't heard any V3 owners mention this feature, & so was wondering if this is a feature only in the V2....?
It is certainly an important feature and should be supported in rar and zip files as well as folders. If it is supported then the file extensions cbr and cbz should be supported and voila you have a comic book and manga viewer.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
It works just the same on the V3.

So theoretically they could add cbr support simply by adding the file extension to the book shelf and treat the cbr file as a book, with the last viewed picture as the bookmark. Zip support isn't fully implemented, but cbz support should theoretically be equally easy to add.

Disclaimer: I've never seen the V3 firmware, so the last paragraph is pure speculation on my part. Renaming cbr files to rar should make it possible to use them on the V3, though.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
ArgonZ
ArgonZ began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Rar and Cbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
It works just the same on the V3.

Disclaimer: I've never seen the V3 firmware, so the last paragraph is pure speculation on my part. Renaming cbr files to rar should make it possible to use them on the V3, though.
I've tested this no my V3 and the reader does open the Rar files and allows us to browse inside its directory structure. After opening a image file inside the rar, the next page button will skip to next image, just like a comic book reader would do.

Unfortunately this is still not enough, since after closing the rar it won't remember the last image viewed. Forcing us to navigate again the directory structure and finding the right image. Besides, the image rendering engine is not quite good, even for black and white images.
ArgonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonZ View Post
I've tested this no my V3 and the reader does open the Rar files and allows us to browse inside its directory structure. After opening a image file inside the rar, the next page button will skip to next image, just like a comic book reader would do.

Unfortunately this is still not enough, since after closing the rar it won't remember the last image viewed. Forcing us to navigate again the directory structure and finding the right image. Besides, the image rendering engine is not quite good, even for black and white images.
On my V2, I can browse .zip files, but I can't open files inside the zipped archive (I get an error). Not tried RAR.

Regarding the image rendering engine - indeed. I made a brief article detailing how you can make the images look better - Optimising documents for a 6" eink display.

In brief, I've noticed you obtain far better results processing the documents in advance on your computer. (i.e. downscale & reduce colours using your PC prior to putting on the device).
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdini View Post
On my V2, I can browse .zip files, but I can't open files inside the zipped archive (I get an error). Not tried RAR.

Regarding the image rendering engine - indeed. I made a brief article detailing how you can make the images look better - Optimising documents for a 6" eink display.

In brief, I've noticed you obtain far better results processing the documents in advance on your computer. (i.e. downscale & reduce colours using your PC prior to putting on the device).
I find that IrfanView does a fine job of preparing documents in advance. Turn off dithering and reduce the colors to gray scale and then to reduced values. I disagree a little with reducing it to 2 bits. I reduce to 4 bits in the hopes that the future versions will support higher levels of gray scale and I don't want to have to regenerate all of my documents. Letting the machine do this minor adjustment usually works well. By the way, there is no way to reduce below 8 levels (265 gray scale) on a Jpeg anyway.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote