Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #16
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLDS View Post
Well, yeah, I knew that was coming. Just don't make fun of my pics, blame lighting differences, etc. Quickly taken with my Nikon D300:

Sorry about the profanity laced page - not intentional.
what's the book?

Andrew
andyh2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #17
AintLDS
No soliciting
AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage and iPhone 8 Plus
Surface Detail - Iain M. Banks.

Trying to catch up before he releases the new one.
AintLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #18
Me!
Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4
Hi!
Just a little question
if the black K4 has the same firm 4.1.0 (1615370055)...
is there anything new?. What about the time to read? just por the KP?
Me! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #19
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Well, yeah, I knew that was coming. Just don't make fun of my pics, blame lighting differences, etc. Quickly taken with my Nikon D300:

Sorry about the profanity laced page - not intentional.
That is a big difference in text contrast! They have improved something. Wow I want yours. Mine has such bad contrast. *sigh*
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #20
Me!
Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
That is a big difference in text contrast! They have improved something. Wow I want yours. Mine has such bad contrast. *sigh*
I don't think that there is a big difference between the new kindle and the old one.
It's just an optical illusion because of the black cover, like this:

http://forum.rustycooley.com/viewtop...f3859b7d9570f2
Me! is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #21
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Let's not start that again!

I tried the black trick it doesn't work. I bought a black skin and it didn't do anything but it made the screen look dirty. I've tried everything. There is 100 page thread here on this issue so I'm not going to beat a dead horse again.

It looks like they changed the finishing on the glass? It looks clearer like the one the K3 has but still matted. The shadow is gone too on the sides due to the new bezel which makes it look cleaner. I do see some improvements. The text does look better, darker.

Now it could be they got lucky and got a good one but I do see a difference. I've looked at hundreds of K4 pics. Seen three different units. I love to see a pic of it in normal lighting with flash off to be sure.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #22
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Didn't people also say that the touch had a better display than the k3? And that has a lighter bezel.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #23
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Didn't people also say that the touch had a better display than the k3? And that has a lighter bezel.
It varies. It just seems the K4 suffers from this issue more than the K3 or K5. Amazon finally tried to fix it with the last firmware update. It didn't do anything really. The Bezel change and it looks like maybe the glass changed too. It looks cleaner. I need more pics of different units though. I want one if they did improved it for a cleaner look.
I'll sell mine for $20, probably all I could get for it.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #24
AintLDS
No soliciting
AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me! View Post
Hi!
Just a little question
if the black K4 has the same firm 4.1.0 (1615370055)...
is there anything new?. What about the time to read? just por the KP?
It all seems to be the same.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #25
AintLDS
No soliciting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me! View Post
I don't think that there is a big difference between the new kindle and the old one.
It's just an optical illusion because of the black cover, like this:

http://forum.rustycooley.com/viewtop...f3859b7d9570f2

Please . . .
Old 09-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #26
AintLDS
No soliciting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I returned the first K4NT I received after I got the Touch since the Touch had a much nicer display. The replacement K4NT I received was on par with the Touch.

My K69 has a better display than my K4NT. You can see it in the picture but up close there is more of a difference (and it's not because of the black bezel). When you hold the units over each other, you can tell the difference. At least my particular specimens of each unit show that the K69 is an improvement. This may not be the case for others.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #27
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
All four of my K3s and my DXG have higher contrast than my K5 or either of my K4s. My three Nook Simple Touches are all better than my two K4s or my K5. Only my DX (white) is worse contrast than my K4s and my K5. I am looking forward to a comparision with my paperwhite with its light OFF when I get it. I hope it is better.

My two K4s were purchased about a month apart and came with different firmware versions. To the naked eye, their displays are identical to each other and to my K5. There is no visible variation between them, but they all have worse contrast than my 5 earlier K3/DXG units (and worse than all three of my Nook Simple Touches).

So, my personal experience is contradictory to what "people also say".

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-08-2012 at 08:46 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #28
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
The pictures look great AintLDS. Thanks for sharing.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #29
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Once they are a few years old, don't most eInk devices wind up with rather similar contrast?

Maybe someone with both an original Kindle, and a Kindle Keyboard purchased in 2010, could comment and either confirm or say I'm all wet.

Now, the more light, the higher the contrast. I presume this is why Amazon is hoping to get away with calling the new generation Paperwhite.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #30
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
Quote:
I returned the first K4NT I received after I got the Touch since the Touch had a much nicer display. The replacement K4NT I received was on par with the Touch.

My K69 has a better display than my K4NT. You can see it in the picture but up close there is more of a difference (and it's not because of the black bezel). When you hold the units over each other, you can tell the difference. At least my particular specimens of each unit show that the K69 is an improvement. This may not be the case for others.
When the K3 first came out and I had them side by side scanned in at 600 DPI on a flatbed scanner you could clearly see how much better the new screen was over the old. Yet people would still say "It's the new darker bezel that makes you think it's better contrast", so I took cutouts of the exact same dimensions of the same text with no bezel visible and people would still argue that there was no difference.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote