Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Kindle Touch 3G - no web browsing via 3G?

On the product page for the new Kindle Touch 3G, in the "Technical Details" section, across from "Battery Life" it states [bold emphasis mine]:

A single charge lasts up to two months with wireless off based upon a half-hour of daily reading time. Keep wireless always on and it lasts for up to 3 weeks. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage, such as shopping the Kindle Store, downloading content, and web browsing (browsing available only in Wi-Fi mode).

That says to me that there will be no web browsing using 3G on this new 3G model. Elsewhere on the Touch 3G product page it states "Free 3G Wireless....Download books anywhere with no plans, contracts, or monthly fees." No mention of 3G browsing there.

I am very disappointed, as that is a feature I do use (and appreciate) with my current Kindle 3G+wifi (keyboard) model. I can understand why Amazon would make that decision, but I'm still bummed about it. I guess I won't be upgrading to that model.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Several people on the Amazon.com Kindle Discussion forum have reported that they have contacted Amazon CS and were assured that 3G web browsing will still be enabled on the new Kindles. Maybe if enough people call them they'll fix the information on the product page.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Personally, I think that the information that I quoted from the Kindle Touch 3G product page is correct. It appears that those words that I bolded were added on purpose when they created that description. I believe that the customer service reps were mistaken.

I guess time will sort things out, but I thought it was important to bring up in case that feature is an important part of anyone's purchase-decision process.

I do hope that Amazon will clarify the language on the product page so there is no doubt. Under "Experimental Features: WebKit-Based Browser" it states:

Kindle Touch 3G's experimental web browser is based on WebKit. It's easy to find the information you're looking for right from your Kindle Touch 3G. Experimental web browsing is available via Wi-Fi.

Why leave off the words "and 3G" if 3G is included?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I hear you. CS (particularly non Kindle CS) have been known to disseminate inaccurate information; in this case it is certainly what people hope to hear. But I'm sure we'll know for sure before it actually ships.

I don't see how Amazon can possibly justify $50 for 3G if it is not as functional as before, particularly if it is contrary to expectations they have been setting for the last 3 years.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
You might be right. Notice the difference in the Kindle Keyboard description.

Quote:
Experimental Features: WebKit-Based Browser: Kindle Keyboard features an experimental web browser based on WebKit to provide a better web browsing experience. Now it's easier than ever to find the information you're looking for right from your Kindle. Experimental web browsing is free.
As opposed to the description for kindle Touch
Quote:
Experimental Features: WebKit-Based Browser: Kindle Touch 3G's experimental web browser is based on WebKit. It's easy to find the information you're looking for right from your Kindle Touch 3G. Experimental web browsing is available via Wi-Fi.

Last edited by yifanlu; 09-29-2011 at 08:40 PM.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I would guess that the touch would make browsing web pages much easier (or at least less painful) and so Amazon doesn't want to foot the bill for people using it as a 3G web browser.

Last edited by JeremyR; 09-29-2011 at 08:53 PM.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
That's interesting. Yesterday they didn't even list the Webkit browser under experimental features. I posted a picture on a different thread yesterday. It seems like there's been a lot of confusion about it at Amazon.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Worse case scenario is that they will, on November 21, pull the plug on what I feel is the Kindle killer app, worldwide free web browsing. I cannot find any current claim about 3G web browsing in the Kindle keyboard 3G description at amazon.com.

I just came up with a paranoid, but more hopeful, idea:

Amazon is in a difficult situation when it comes time to renew cell phone company contracts around the world. By being able to threaten to pull out the web browser volume unless the price of the entire package is good, Amazon is in a better negotiating position. If this is correct, they may keep on calling the eInk browser experimental forever without ever actually pulling the plug.

Another thought: Does Amazon have any technical ability to switch between AT&T and TMobile? Probably not, but if they do, they may have worries about the threatened merger of the only two GSM providers in their largest market.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 09-29-2011 at 10:28 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Worse case scenario is that they will, on November 21, pull the plug on what I feel is the Kindle killer app, worldwide free web browsing. I cannot find any current claim about 3G web browsing in the Kindle keyboard 3G description at amazon.com.

I just came up with a paranoid, but more hopeful, idea:

Amazon is in a difficult situation when it comes time to renew cell phone company contracts around the world. By being able to threaten to pull out the web browser volume unless the price of the entire package is good, Amazon is in a better negotiating position. If this is correct, they may keep on calling the eInk browser experimental forever without ever actually pulling the plug.

Another thought: Does Amazon have any technical ability to switch between AT&T and TMobile? Probably not, but if they do, they may have worries about the threatened merger of the only two GSM providers in their largest market.
They mention free internet browsing on the Kindle Keyboard 3G page. "Experimental web browsing is free." However, the same section on the Kindle Touch 3G page, it says instead "Experimental web browsing is available via Wi-Fi." where most other sections are the same word for word.

I don't understand your second paragraph. No doubt the cell phone companies want to squeeze as much money out of Amazon as they could, and they could say something like "x% of your traffic comes from internet browsing, so we should charge extra for those since our data plan is usually $30 a month" and Amazon would have to respond by going "ok, let's remove the internet thing."

Either way, the removal of free 3G internet would be a huge loss for me, as that's how I do most of my mobile browsing (I don't have a data plan on the cell phone. I don't have $30 a month on top of the high prices I pay for internet at home and voice plan).
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:33 PM   #10
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
What is the significance of November 21st.? Are you suggesting that they will somehow pull the 3G web browsing access on my K3? I bought it because they advertised lifetime 3G access.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #11
lachyzee
lachyzee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hello,

I just had a live chat with an Amazon rep who said this, hopefully its reliable:

Me:Hi,
Will the new Kindle Touch 3G allow web browsing via the free 3G, or only WiFi?

Abhijeet:Hello, my name is Abhijeet. I'll be happy to help you today.
You can browse the web via free 3G xxxx.

Me:And this is on the new Kindle Touch 3G that will be released on Nov 21?

Abhijeet:Yes xxxx.

Me:OK thanks for your help, there has been some confusion about this. I will order one based on this advice that web browsing on the new Kindle Touch 3G will be free via 3G. Please note that if it turns out to be incorrect, I may request a full refund.
Will this chat be logged in my account so that I will be able to refer to it in the future?

Abhijeet:This transcript will be saved on your account xxxxx.
You'll be able to browse the Web but will not be able to download anything except the books purchased from our website.

Me:OK thanks for your help.

Abhijeet:You’re welcome! Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Me:No thanks. Bye.
lachyzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:09 AM   #12
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I would take that to mean no email downloads either.

Not good news.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:11 AM   #13
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachyzee View Post
Hello,
Abhijeet:This transcript will be saved on your account xxxxx.
You'll be able to browse the Web but will not be able to download anything except the books purchased from our website.
That is an odd (and confusing) statement, and it makes me wonder how well he knows the device. I can download .mobi books directly onto the device using 3G on my K3 browser. So is he saying that the Kindle Touch 3G is different? Or does he not know what he's talking about?

Others have been reporting that they've had email replies, conversations, and chats with Amazon CS representatives who have assured them that 3G web browsing is included on the new Kindle Touch 3G.

If any of you have contact with Amazon CS regarding this matter and they tell you that 3G web browsing is included, please request that Amazon reword these two statements (my bold) on their Kindle Touch 3G product page ASAP:

WebKit-Based Browser:
Kindle Touch 3G's experimental web browser is based on WebKit. It's easy to find the information you're looking for right from your Kindle Touch 3G. Experimental web browsing is available via Wi-Fi.

Battery Life:
A single charge lasts up to two months with wireless off based upon a half-hour of daily reading time. Keep wireless always on and it lasts for up to 3 weeks. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage, such as shopping the Kindle Store, downloading content, and web browsing (browsing available only in Wi-Fi mode).

The information on Amazon's product pages is what most people go by when making purchasing decisions. It needs to be accurate.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:24 AM   #14
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
This is what I received in an email today from Amazon CS; I think they are hedging their bets:

Hello,

I understand your concern and I'm happy to help.

Kindle Touch 3G has WebKit- Based Browser features; you can browse the web over Wi-Fi and and WhisperNet(3G coverage).

However, for international customer's, Internet access using your Kindle's Web Browser through Whispernet is not available in most countries outside the United States when using your Kindle's 3G connection, however most customers can access Wikipedia and other website.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:30 AM   #15
lachyzee
lachyzee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Well that makes no sense. Maybe they just don't want be seen to be actively promoting/encouraging web browsing via 3G.
lachyzee is offline   Reply With Quote