Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
demingite
Connoisseur
demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro (gifted), Ectaco Jetbook Lite
Regular Nook Web Browser

I am considering the regular Nook and am wondering how useful the browser is, especially with the latest firmware. I like to travel light, and I am wondering if this would be useful or frustrating for basic web use, such as gmail and web searches.
demingite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
ehh it gets the job done. eink and webbrowsing no matter the device(kindle, nook etc) is nothing to write home to mom about.

I find it's main functionality is when a Wifi hotspot has an "I agree" section to connect.

Nook Color on the other hand is a different ball game. web surfing is pretty good on it.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
JMyers
Enthusiast
JMyers began at the beginning.

Device: classic nook
I surf some sites with my classic nook. It's better than my phone but not as good as my laptop.
JMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
If you just want to look at a website, it isn't too bad. But if you want to enter any data into a website (like do a google search or look up a movie on Rottentomatoes), it can be pretty frustrating.

The main trouble I had is with the screen vertical scrolling - it can be VERY difficult to position the bounding box in the top panel over the area of the page where you need to be typing (so you can pick a field in the bottom panel). Trying to scroll the page using the bottom panel often causes you to hit a link instead and then it goes off to another website and you are left waiting for 10 minutes for that unwanted page to come up just so you can go back. Grrrrrrr!

You can use the left and right Nook physical buttons to scroll the screen, but unfortunately, and VERY annoyingly, it doesn't scroll by the amount of area enclosed by the bounding box. So if you try to scroll down to an input field you often overshoot it and then you have to resort to using swipes on the bottom panel and then you go too far up. It can drive you crazy!

Phew!
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
demingite
Connoisseur
demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all of your responses. I wish that my closest B&N store wasn't an hour away. I'd love to play with it before deciding. I picked up three different ereaders on sale recently (JBL, Libre Pro and refurb Nook w/wifi and 3G). One will be for me and the other two will be gifts. I've been playing with the Libre Pro and like it overall. I'm just debating with myself whether I should keep the Nook and gift the other two, or make it one of the gifts. I don't want to open it until I decide.
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by demingite View Post
Thanks for all of your responses. I wish that my closest B&N store wasn't an hour away. I'd love to play with it before deciding. I picked up three different ereaders on sale recently (JBL, Libre Pro and refurb Nook w/wifi and 3G). One will be for me and the other two will be gifts. I've been playing with the Libre Pro and like it overall. I'm just debating with myself whether I should keep the Nook and gift the other two, or make it one of the gifts. I don't want to open it until I decide.
Is there a Best Buy that's closer?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #7
demingite
Connoisseur

No Best Buy either. I noticed that the latest color flyer for WalMart advertised the Nook, but there were none to be seen in my local store. I did check out some video revues and I think I may keep the Nook. I like the idea of having a basic browser built in for checking email, etc. while traveling. Don't really want to spring for a netbook.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:03 AM   #8
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You'd better make sure that the B&W Nook can work with Gmail before you buy. I was not able to use it with my browser-based email pickup (the webpage would not come up, giving an error message about the browser not supporting it). Consumers Report has "not possible" in the email column for the B&W Nook.

I think you might do better with the color Nook, since you seem to want more than just reading ability. From what I've been reading, its browsing ability is much better. It may even have an email app (you'll have to look and see).
Old 12-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
I find the Nook browser inferior to my Blackberry. And my Blackberry isn't very good. If you're looking to email, it probably won't work.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
baroque
baroque has learned how to read e-booksbaroque has learned how to read e-booksbaroque has learned how to read e-booksbaroque has learned how to read e-booksbaroque has learned how to read e-booksbaroque has learned how to read e-booksbaroque has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
You'd better make sure that the B&W Nook can work with Gmail before you buy. I was not able to use it with my browser-based email pickup (the webpage would not come up, giving an error message about the browser not supporting it). Consumers Report has "not possible" in the email column for the B&W Nook.
Strange. I can access my GMail and college e-mail accounts just fine with the classic Nook's browser. In fact, that's all I do with the wifi, besides buying books. Just reading the e-mails is fine, but typing up e-mails is time-consuming and complicated.

But, like others have said, the browser is functional and only that. There are no bells and whistles. It's great for checking e-mail and doing very rudimentary things, like looking up a movie times or checking book reviews on Goodreads/LibraryThing. Doing more advanced things, like browsing forums, typing up responses, etc., is difficult.
baroque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baroque View Post
Strange. I can access my GMail and college e-mail accounts just fine with the classic Nook's browser. In fact, that's all I do with the wifi, besides buying books. Just reading the e-mails is fine, but typing up e-mails is time-consuming and complicated.

But, like others have said, the browser is functional and only that. There are no bells and whistles. It's great for checking e-mail and doing very rudimentary things, like looking up a movie times or checking book reviews on Goodreads/LibraryThing. Doing more advanced things, like browsing forums, typing up responses, etc., is difficult.
Yep, I've read and sent emails through Gmail on my boyfriend's nook. Not very fast, but it worked. I use the nook's browser for things other people would use a smartphone for, basically. I don't know why Consumer Report's would list email as "not possible," but I did find their nook review to be inaccurate, at least in relation to my own experiences with it. (Which is a shame, since I've trusted CR for years, but they've dropped the ball on a few things lately.)

Last edited by natasha_fawn; 12-06-2010 at 01:18 PM.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #12
RAH
Guru

I just tried to look at my email using the Nook again. Now I remember the problem - when the email comes up, I get this annoying message that pops up on the screen that says, "It has been identified that you are not using the most optimal web browser for this application." It goes on to list better browsers. So, there is a friendly checkbox that says "Don't Show again" and an OK button. Sounds good, right? Well, the problem is that nothing happens when I push the OK button or press the checkbox. So I am stuckk on that stupid screen.

It is good to know that it works with some browser-based email, and especially Gmail, but I am unable to use it. Anyone know a workaround?
Old 12-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
hattrick
hattrick began at the beginning.

Device: jetBook, nook, Galaxy S2, iPad 4
You want to try the mobile version:

http://m.gmail.com
hattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #14
RAH
Guru

Thanks for the info, but I don't use Gmail myself. I am using 1and1.com as a host of my website and they have a typical browser facility you can use to pick up your email for the email accounts you establish. It is their email web facility that is screwing me. I have sent them an email asking them for help. I mentioned to them that the Nook can read Gmail, so it was very helpful for me to know that. Before this thread started I thought the Nook just couldn't do email, period.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #15
Ken Stuart
The Knight Who Says Nook!
Ken Stuart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color ; dead Clie NR70 ; living Rocket REB1100 ; QY70 (pictured)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Thanks for the info, but I don't use Gmail myself.
1 - you can always get a free Gmail account just for sending mail.

and

2 - you can forward your email to Gmail, and use their mobile interface on the nook, and their regular interface on a PC/laptop, which has some ease of use and reliability advantages over other email interfaces.
Ken Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote