Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:28 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think you're slightly missing the point with that one. You may never have seen him on American TV, but Saha Baron Cohen, the British comedian who stars in that film, has made his career out of being in bad taste. That's the way it's supposed to be.
But it's not just bad taste. It's offensive in some places. And stupid in the rest.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #17
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
And, please, for Satan's sake, let's not fight.
Don
Isn't this a bit of a contradiction? If you're doing anything for satan's sake it would be evil and belligerent as a matter of fact it would be a requirement, if acting on satan's sake, to do down right contradict you're request.

Now fortunate for you I don't act in satan's sake, but in God's sake. So I will not be calling you names or try to hijack the thread.

... speaking of which what is the topic?

=X=
Old 04-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Weekend at Bernies
Yes, that's it! Thank you.

Like I said, I didn't think it was a very good movie. For me, it was stupid rather than funny.

Don
Old 04-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #19
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
For me bad taste is only when you go after what people consider sacred or dear. It doesn't have be be religious attack but a lot are. It can even be when the go after a ethnic group.
This bother me.

And while I do find "shock humor" taseless I don't seem to get offended by it. More than anything I just don't find it funny.

=X=
Old 04-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #20
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Yes, that's it! Thank you.

Like I said, I didn't think it was a very good movie. For me, it was stupid rather than funny.

Don

There's a Ray Bradury short, I seem to recall, that has a similar premise. Friends of the recently deceased kidnap the body from a morgue and take that body for one last night on the town. At least I think it's a Ray Bradbury.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
That was Weekend at Bernies. Loved it!

So Don, let me ask you a personal question: Are you native to Peru? I ask because every Hispanic male I know is very squeamish about bodily functions, as you describe. I have an acquaintance from Guatemala in front of whom I make a point to pop in an insulin shot, just to watch him turn green and see his skin crawl. He told me it is considered bad manners to do such things in public where he comes from. So I, of course, poke his personal boundaries whenever possible. After all, what are friends for?

Is this your experience also, that discussing or witnessing bodily functions is taboo?
No, I'm a citizen of the U.S.

I just love humor that challenges and is on the cutting edge, and perhaps even "dangerous" if it gets people to think. Also, because I love dead things (re: Zombies), I love to put them in odd situations in terms of humor.

I also think cats make the most lovely bookends imaginable. (That's a joke, but someone will read into it a desire to torture animals. People who feel that way have very narrow perspectives...)

Don
Old 04-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #22
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But it's not just bad taste. It's offensive in some places. And stupid in the rest.
That's what's so great about the free world. With the right outlet, you can make a good living (or get downright rich) from "bad taste," "bad jokes," "bad behaviour," and "offensive anything."

A world of opportunity where even stupidity pays (sure wish someone would start paying me for MINE.)

I think it's a pitiful state of affairs, but at the same time I defend everyone's right to make bad jokes in bad taste and be offensive if that's what floats their boat. I don't appreciate someone trying to purposely attempt to embarrass or humiliate another, just for grins and giggles, (or any purpose) but it's not illegal, so if someone wants to be a jerk, oh well . . .

I'm not forced to watch (or read) bad TV, movies, comic strips or whatever, if that's the main premise of the medium. So if that's your profession, have at it and be successful.

On the other hand, if something off-color, in bad taste, bathroom humor, or offensive (by my standards) is scattered at intervals throughout a medium where I don't expect it, I don't freak out and have a hissy-fit about it either.

I'm just sayin' . . .

Last edited by Lady Blue; 04-22-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:02 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
South Park is juvenile and offensive. But it's also funny.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
For me bad taste is only when you go after what people consider sacred or dear.
That is so true. You tell a joke about dead cats, cat lovers say it is in bad taste, blonds don't seem to like dumb blond jokes, short people don't like short people jokes... and on and on.

But, does that make the joke in bad taste just because someone else does appreciate it?

I think racial jokes are generally considered in bad taste too. I also think it depends on the group or audience. There are some jokes you would tell to your guy friend but not to your wife or your mother.

BOb
Old 04-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #25
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
My wife and I made a deal about ethnic jokes. I can tell any ethnic joke I like, as long as the ethnicity being put down is (one of) mine (Scots or Slovak). Otherwise, I tell <ethnic> jokes. A brief (and lousy!) example:

Q: What's black and crispy and hangs from the ceiling?
A: An <ethnic> electrician!

Xenophon
Old 04-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #26
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
A: Ardvarks.

(You really had to be there to get the joke)
Old 04-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #27
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
My wife and I made a deal about ethnic jokes. I can tell any ethnic joke I like, as long as the ethnicity being put down is (one of) mine (Scots or Slovak). Otherwise, I tell <ethnic> jokes. A brief (and lousy!) example:

A: An <ethnic> electrician!

Xenophon
Or like that joke about a black guy who cut off a finger. They only had a white finger for transplant, so they did it. The black guy died in two days: the finger rejected the body.

Bad taste, offensive but funny.

I guess what defines a joke, is its context.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #28
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
A newspaper cartoon on Stephen Hawking's illness asked 'Have they tried switching him off and on again?"

That's a bad taste joke in my book because it is about an actual person who is suffering.
Happily Stephen Hawking is expected to make a full recovery.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
That is so true. You tell a joke about dead cats, cat lovers say it is in bad taste, blonds don't seem to like dumb blond jokes, short people don't like short people jokes... and on and on.

But, does that make the joke in bad taste just because someone else does appreciate it?

I think racial jokes are generally considered in bad taste too. I also think it depends on the group or audience. There are some jokes you would tell to your guy friend but not to your wife or your mother.

BOb
I think the question you pose -- is a joke in bad taste because someone doesn't like it -- is an important question.

I think the audience is important, as you point out. But should the audience "tell" you not to post, write, or tell a bad joke? I don't think the audience has a right to act as my censor. You don't like it, then don't read it. I feel censorship is a very dangerous thing, but that may be because of my training in Journalism.

Don
Old 04-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #30
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
You don't like it, then don't read it.
How does that work? I know before I read it whether I'll like it or not??
Closed Thread