Old 06-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #16
MontyJ
Addict
MontyJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
I'm also running Cinnamon.

I don't think it matters, but my "get calibre" uses a different url than the one shown above.

Code:
sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kovidgoyal/calibre/master/setup/linux-installer.py | sudo python -c "import sys; main=lambda:sys.stderr.write('Download failed\n'); exec(sys.stdin.read()); main()"
Please let me know if you like me to check something in my system to compare to.

Kernel: 4.4.0-21-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.3.1)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) dm: mdm Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Thanks for the tip. But I tried the link you posted, no joy. Debug still shows:
Code:
$ calibre-debug -g
calibre 3.1.1  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Linux-4.8.0-54-generic-x86_64-with-debian-stretch-sid Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '4.8.0-54-generic', '#57~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 24 16:22:28 UTC 2017')
Python 2.7.12
Linux: ('debian', 'stretch/sid', '')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && Barnes & Noble (1, 2, 14) && Import List (1, 1, 5) && Quick Preferences (1, 4, 1) && FictionDB (1, 0, 10) && Consolidate All Library Metadata (2, 0, 29) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 2) && NormComment (0, 0, 2) && Webscription (1, 1, 0) && Resize Cover (1, 0, 2) && Databazeknih (1, 4, 0) && Modify ePub (1, 3, 13) && Reading List (1, 6, 6) && Goodreads (1, 1, 12) && Diaps Editing Toolbag (0, 3, 4)
Turning on automatic hidpi scaling
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: inf x inf
physicalDpi: -49587349.6902 x -87694669.8701
Using calibre Qt style: True
Starting up...
Then all the same BadWindow errors as original.
MontyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:11 PM   #17
MontyJ
Addict

I want to try setting the CALIBRE_USE_SYSTEM_THEME environmental variable as a test to see if that will work with Calibre 3.1.1. I realize it may cause other problems, but I think it may be worth a shot. I have a system backup...just in case you know!

I am totally confused about where in Mint 18.1 to actually set that variable. I looked in /etc/profiles, ~/.bashrc and others but no nice, pretty entry that says: "Set ENV here"!

Ideas?
Old 06-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #18
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyJ View Post
I want to try setting the CALIBRE_USE_SYSTEM_THEME environmental variable as a test to see if that will work with Calibre 3.1.1. I realize it may cause other problems, but I think it may be worth a shot. I have a system backup...just in case you know!

I am totally confused about where in Mint 18.1 to actually set that variable. I looked in /etc/profiles, ~/.bashrc and others but no nice, pretty entry that says: "Set ENV here"!

Ideas?
If you just want to test running calibre with the variable set, you could start it from the command line:

# env CALIBRE_USE_SYSTEM_THEME=1 calibre
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #19
MontyJ
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
If you just want to test running calibre with the variable set, you could start it from the command line:

# env CALIBRE_USE_SYSTEM_THEME=1 calibre
Fantastic! Thanks!! A true noob here!...

Anyway, I have an "isolated" version of 3.1.1 set up in the ~/calibre-bin folder. Using that ENV, here is what I got:
Code:
 ~/calibre-bin/calibre $ env CALIBRE_USE_SYSTEM_THEME=1 ~/calibre-bin/calibre/calibre-debug -g
calibre 3.1.1  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Linux-4.8.0-54-generic-x86_64-with-debian-stretch-sid Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '4.8.0-54-generic', '#57~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 24 16:22:28 UTC 2017')
Python 2.7.12
Linux: ('debian', 'stretch/sid', '')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Consolidate All Library Metadata (2, 0, 29) && FictionDB (1, 0, 10) && Barnes & Noble (1, 2, 14) && NormComment (0, 0, 2) && Diaps Editing Toolbag (0, 3, 4) && Goodreads (1, 1, 12) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && Databazeknih (1, 4, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 2) && Webscription (1, 1, 0) && Resize Cover (1, 0, 2) && Quick Preferences (1, 4, 1) && Reading List (1, 6, 6) && Import List (1, 1, 5) && Modify ePub (1, 3, 13)
Turning on automatic hidpi scaling
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
Using calibre Qt style: False
Starting up...
And as you can see those pesky Dpi settings still don't get picked up properly. And it looks like the ENV did get set as shown by "Using calibre Qt style: False" seems to indicate.

Looks like I am going to be stuck with 2.85 for a while, LoL.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
See the lines

in the debug output. They indicate Qt is not able to read the correct monitor size/resolution from the X server. I think that is the underlying reason for the problems. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to resolve it. I dont think using the system theme will make a difference as the monitor data is read before the theme comes into play.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 06-27-2017 at 02:38 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #21
MontyJ
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
See the lines

in the debug output. They indicate Qt is not able to read the correct monitor size/resolution from the X server. I think that is the underlying reason for the problems. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to resolve it. I dont think using the system theme will make a difference as the monitor data is read before the theme comes into play.
I do have a not-exactly-new Nvidia graphics card installed. So looking to troubleshoot the X-server, I installed the Nvidia utility "nvidia-settings". It installed ok but when I pulled the GUI up, there wasn't much to set. But, disabled all of them anyway, saved, but still have the same Dpi problem running debug version.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-27-2017, 03:51 PM   #22
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyJ View Post
I do have a not-exactly-new Nvidia graphics card installed. So looking to troubleshoot the X-server, I installed the Nvidia utility "nvidia-settings". It installed ok but when I pulled the GUI up, there wasn't much to set. But, disabled all of them anyway, saved, but still have the same Dpi problem running debug version.

Thanks for the help!

You may jest need to reinstall your nvidia drivers.

Quote:
If your graphics card is from NVIDIA, once in Linux Mint, perform the following steps to install the NVIDIA drivers:

Run the Driver Manager
Choose the NVIDIA drivers and wait for them to be installed
Reboot the computer

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:17 PM   #23
MontyJ
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
You may jest need to reinstall your nvidia drivers.

bernie
Well, it was worth a shot but one of the selections screwed the pooch...

Quote:
The settings available are:
1-nvidia-375 (recommended)
2-xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (open source)
3-nvidia-304 (legacy)
4-nvidia-340

Unknown:
amd64-microcode (not working, "do not use" selected)
My original selection was 2. Not sure why I had this but I do remember is was due to some issue or the other a long while back.

So, I went for the #1 setting. It did not change anything with or without the ENV setting changed.

Then dropped down to #4. No change their either. So, WTF, tried that old legacy driver. That brought me up to a black screen. Some research on my laptop led me to change the grub setting to "nomodeset".

That got me video, but I had no mouse control over any of the panel and/or menu items. The desktop itself appeared ok, so I was able to use the folders I had on the desktop to get to "terminal mode" and do some stuff. But still nothing I did got 3.1.1 to run.

So now I am back with #1 nvidia driver. For whatever reason, now #2 will not work anymore. And I have all those system startup processes running through the screen before the nvidia driver kicks in. I think that is probably because grub is now bonked, but not sure.

Anyway, thanks for the tip, but no change.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:18 AM   #24
invisuu
invisuu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: ipad2
I'm not sure if I need to open a new discussion for this matter so I'll reply here.

I'm using openSUSE Leap 42.3 GNOME in a HP laptop and calibre 3.9 runs fine, but if I connect a LED TV that I use as a monitor using HDMI and try to run calibre then it fails showing all the errors posted in #1. Disconnecting the TV an using the integrated screen works fine again.

Because I almost use exclusively my laptop connected to the TV, I did not wanted to run calibre in the terminal using
Quote:
QT_SCALE_FACTOR=1 QT_DEVICE_PIXEL_RATIO=1 calibre
everytime I use it, so I navigated to "Preferences > Look & Feel" and started to read every option there. It caught my attention the popup description of the "Adjust for high resolution screens (need restart)" option, so I turned it off.

For my surprise, calibre now runs using the TV connected via HDMI and the launcher, so now I don't need to run it from terminal setting variables.

It worked for me, so maybe it can work for you. I don't know why it worked but I'm happy again
invisuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:01 AM   #25
MontyJ
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisuu View Post
I'm not sure if I need to open a new discussion for this matter so I'll reply here.

I'm using openSUSE Leap 42.3 GNOME in a HP laptop and calibre 3.9 runs fine, but if I connect a LED TV that I use as a monitor using HDMI and try to run calibre then it fails showing all the errors posted in #1. Disconnecting the TV an using the integrated screen works fine again.

Because I almost use exclusively my laptop connected to the TV, I did not wanted to run calibre in the terminal using everytime I use it, so I navigated to "Preferences > Look & Feel" and started to read every option there. It caught my attention the popup description of the "Adjust for high resolution screens (need restart)" option, so I turned it off.

For my surprise, calibre now runs using the TV connected via HDMI and the launcher, so now I don't need to run it from terminal setting variables.

It worked for me, so maybe it can work for you. I don't know why it worked but I'm happy again
invisuu,

You the man!! That worked for me as well. I had even put in a newer graphics card (still nVidia tho) and no change. So had been stuck with Calibre 2.85. This old version did not have those settings of course.

I still get a couple warnings when I start V3.10:

Code:
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
but so far I don't see any problems in Calibre that could be related.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #26
invisuu
invisuu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: ipad2
I'm glad it worked for you too!!!
invisuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:43 PM   #27
jmpdias
jmpdias began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Thanks invisuu.