Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
antkiller23
antkiller23 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch 622
[HELP NEEDED] Custom Dictionary.

I have my own custom dictionary, that I along with others in my faculty maintain for technical terminology.

Is there a way to use this as the in-built dictionary? I saw that the dictionary format used is the .dic format. Can I convert my dictionary (.mobi, .epub, .txt, .docx, .rtf etc etc) to this .dic format?

I am a newcomer to Pocketbook...and bought it specifically for its open nature. Can anyone help? If it is possible, some links for tutorials will be very helpful.

Thanks,

Antkiller23
antkiller23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I don't know if this will help you as it is in German, but in the German Pocketbook subforum there is a lengthy thread concerning dictionaries:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67983

And welcome to MR!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
SIRSteiner
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by antkiller23 View Post
Is there a way to use this as the in-built dictionary? I saw that the dictionary format used is the .dic format. Can I convert my dictionary (.mobi, .epub, .txt, .docx, .rtf etc etc) to this .dic format?
Hello Antkiller23,

did I understand it right: one dictionary? My favourite format to convert dictionaries is txt/csv. Maybe you can send me this file and I would convert it for you.

Regards
Ronny
Old 10-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRSteiner View Post
did I understand it right: one dictionary? My favourite format to convert dictionaries is txt/csv.
How is the data laid out in the csv file? Can you specify the type of word (noun, adjective, adverb,...)? What about italicizing the non-English?

Last edited by rkomar; 10-23-2013 at 10:20 AM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
SIRSteiner
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
How is the data laid out in the csv file? Can you specify the type of word (noun, adjective, adverb,...)? What about italicizing the non-English?
The entries in the txt file for the converter should look like:

drive[2spaces]<i>noun</i><br>Antrieb
drive[2spaces]<i>verb</i><br>fahren

Everything after the 2 spaces is the discription/translation you can use <i>-tags (italic) and <br> (line feed) where you want.

To create this file I can use any csv/txt with tab delimiter between word, word form, maybe gender, translation or other.

Regards
Ronny
Old 10-23-2013, 04:23 AM   #6
paolog
Zealot
paolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook touch 622
hi

it accepts also <b> for bold

the lemma is automatically made bold by the program

more, the converter doesn't care of other tags, so you can leave them there (into csv/txt I mean) for other purposes

paolog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since I have the attention of you two experienced dictionary creators, I have a different question. Polish has many words that have two variations, and the printed dictionary just shows both together as the lemmas. I don't think that will work in the Pocketbook format, will it? I've been transcribing them with the first having the whole definition, and the second just referencing the first using vid. Is it possible to make that reference an active link inside the dictionary, so that one can jump to the version that has the entire definition?

Here's an example:

[in original]
wybawca, wybawiciel <m> redeemer, deliverer.

[in my transciption]
wybawca <m> redeemer, deliverer.
wybawiciel <m> vid. wybawca.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
paolog
Zealot
paolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five wordspaolog can name that ebook in five words

hi rkomar

the difference is made by the first two double space you put

example, here the first two spaces are between āre and <i>,

Code:
abdĭco, as, avi, atum, āre  <i>v tr</i> negare, abdicare, rinunciare,disconoscere, respingere.<br>
so the lemma looks like this:

abdĭco, as, avi, atum, āre v tr negare, abdicare, rinunciare,disconoscere, respingere.

and in the word list you have:
abdĭco, as, avi, atum, āre

that's what, I think, you want

as for the link I didn't used it, but I think the .dic is static

bye

paolo
Old 10-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
SIRSteiner
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolog View Post
abdĭco, as, avi, atum, āre v tr negare, abdicare, rinunciare,disconoscere, respingere.
I wouldn't do that because if you search "atum" you won't find it.

That's why I would prefer:

wybawca <m> redeemer, deliverer
wybawiciel <m> redeemer, deliverer

Regards
Ronny
Old 10-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
paolog
Zealot

You're absolutely right Ronny

but there 'atum' is only a suffix, the full lemmas is

abdĭco, abdĭcas, abdĭcavi, abdĭcatum, abdĭcāre

once you type abd it brings you there

the same when you recall within a book; in case of wrong lemma shown, you could change the word list by typing better and get the correct lemma

isn't very quick, but to have the right behaviour one should make the special files (collates & morphems) requested by the converter to handle suffix

the problem is with very short words...

best regards

paolo
Old 10-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
SIRSteiner
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolog View Post
but there 'atum' is only a suffix
The only comment (to me):

But where is antkiller23 who started this thread...
Old 10-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRSteiner View Post
I wouldn't do that because if you search "atum" you won't find it.

That's why I would prefer:

wybawca <m> redeemer, deliverer
wybawiciel <m> redeemer, deliverer

Regards
Ronny
Okay. I've been trying to keep the transcription compatible with xdxf format (which I believe has support for links). I can probably write a script to replace the "vid. XXXX" stuff with the definition for "XXXX" when I convert to the txt file. Thanks for your help, guys.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
paolog
Zealot

thanks to you (both!)
@rkomar: but let's know what you do get ! so we can craft better too!