Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-29-2021, 01:46 AM   #1
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
Post 10.3 inch reader+notetaker: my findings after extensive research

10.3 inch great ereader + good notetaker: my findings after extensive research

I just did extensive research on what 10.3 inch 32GB device provides a combo of:
- great book reading (pdf and epub)
- good note taking.

Here is what I came up with:

1. Overall winner: Boox Note Air, but to get nice writing you need to add a screen cover and a better pen (then it's almost as good at writing as the SuperNote)**.
Packed with features and power.
Great reading interface but anyway it can load any Android app (unlike the others).
Also EXPORTS better than the Supernote and Remarkable
...among other things.

NOTE: Note Air 2 has just come out a couple of days ago.

2. Supernote A5X: better writing out of the box, and was very tempted, but for me the deal-breaker as an e-reader: NO LANDSCAPE mode!

3. Tie:
- Elipsa: great e-reader but the writing is laggy; fewer features than others (Dunno about exporting)
- Remarkable2: Best writing but a big failure in SO many other areas, including they are now making you pay a SUBSCRIPTION to get features others offer as basic.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Best reviewers:

I looked at ALOT of stuff but found this most helpful to compare all but the Elipsa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH1pWqY0lPs

Also the reviewer Voja, on My Deep Guide is amazing - I could have just watched his videos. His thoroughness, intelligence, experience and presentation is the main thing. Additionally some of his reviews are REALLY in-depth (like 90 mins).

"Everything CPO" is also another great, highly respected reviewer.
"Goodereader" is a retail outlet but their reviews are quite good and honest: if they see a shortcoming, they will say it.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Boox extras:

My Deep Guide said that with these extras, its almost as good a writer as Supernote:

* Pen if have screen protector:
- Samsung tab s6 lite pen (EJ-PP610BJEGUJ)
- Samsung Grey nib (I think that might be the default nib?)

* Pen if no screen protector: same pen but HP ZBook X2 Gray nibs

(Source):

* Screen protector:

1. Best overall: ESR 2-Pack Paper-Feel Screen Protector Compatible with iPad Pro 12.9" - I think you MIGHT have to cut this?
(Source)

2. Especially for the paper feel and its made-to-measure, but more expensive: Doodroo for Boox
(Source)

NOTE that Everything CPO also has reccos for at least the best screen protector, maybe pen.
In the unlikely event that I don't like MDG's reccos, I will try CPO's.

Other issues

NOTE Air vs newer Note 3?
My Deep Guide says stick with the air: he really dislikes the ergonomics on the 3 plus no auto-rotate, among other things. He has a brief video on this and also mentions it in the first link in this post above. However Everything CPO prefers the Note 3.
Since I can't actually hold one of these devices and I know I like the hold-area on the Kobo Libra, I feel it's less risky to go with the more popular Note Air.

Note Air 2: I seem to remember some reviewer saying that the screen doesn't feel much different to the Note Air 1, but I can't be sure.

Quaderno: no epubs

Last edited by LivresInOz; 10-29-2021 at 09:03 AM.
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 07:18 AM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
I really like my Note Air it's very good. I haven't bothered with a screen protector on mine. The feel isn't exactly paper-like but it's also not slippery like an iPad+Pencil if you've tried that. I use the Staedler digital stylus that's shaped like a pencil. I do have a Tab S6 Lite and it's stylus but with no screen protector at least I prefer the Steadler. They do include a screen protector in the box. If you get one I would try writing without a screen protector and seeing if you like that before going down the route of cutting up iPad screen protectors.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 07:55 AM   #3
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
I really like my Note Air it's very good. I haven't bothered with a screen protector on mine. The feel isn't exactly paper-like but it's also not slippery like an iPad+Pencil if you've tried that. I use the Staedler digital stylus that's shaped like a pencil. I do have a Tab S6 Lite and it's stylus but with no screen protector at least I prefer the Steadler. They do include a screen protector in the box. If you get one I would try writing without a screen protector and seeing if you like that before going down the route of cutting up iPad screen protectors.
V interesting and thanks for the tip! I should try it as it is before going ahead...

1) Also Onyx claims the just-released Air 2 has an improved writing feel...so it would be interesting to see if the added cost of that is worth it compared to the extra cost of getting the Air 1 but adding the alt pen and screen protector as recco'd by Voja (MDG)...

2) So you tried the Tab stylus he reccos and you prefer the Steadler? I do remember others liking that.
a) Digital or jumbo?
b) You dont have the screen protector on - pls correct if wrong

3) I assume the provided S.P mustn't be that good or Voja wouldn't have reccod the other items as necessary to improve the writing experience, which HE says is very mediocre without them
Old 10-29-2021, 07:56 AM   #4
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

I like hearing people praise this device, since its more than ever spent on a digital device!
Its reassuring.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:39 AM   #5
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenji View Post
V interesting and thanks for the tip! I should try it as it is before going ahead...

1) Also Onyx claims the just-released Air 2 has an improved writing feel...so it would be interesting to see if the added cost of that is worth it compared to the extra cost of getting the Air 1 but adding the alt pen and screen protector as recco'd by Voja (MDG)...

2) So you tried the Tab stylus he reccos and you prefer the Steadler? I do remember others liking that.
a) Digital or jumbo?
b) You dont have the screen protector on - pls correct if wrong

3) I assume the provided S.P mustn't be that good or Voja wouldn't have reccod the other items as necessary to improve the writing experience, which HE says is very mediocre without them
I don't have a screen protector installed. I've tried the Tab S6 Lite stylus on it and I still prefer the Staedler (non-jumbo) but again I don't have a screen protector on. I like the non-jumbo one because it's very very close in feel and weight to a normal pencil which is something I personally prefer. Although I know some people prefer weighter, thicker writing tools. My only real complaint with the Staedler is the lack of of eraser.

The included screen protector seemed like a basic plastic screen protector and not one specifically going for a paperlike feel like the one I put on my iPad after a while.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 01:29 AM   #6
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post

The included screen protector seemed like a basic plastic screen protector and not one specifically going for a paperlike feel like the one I put on my iPad after a while.
I'm hoping they heard Voja others' complaints and they realise the SP is useful for the write-feel, thereby providing one good for that...and PRE-installed!
Old 11-12-2021, 10:23 AM   #7
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many!
I haven't tried the Note Air but I do own a couple of earlier model Boox tablets, a reMarkable and a handful of Kobo e-readers.

I don't really think these devices are directly comparable. Boox runs on Android, which gives more flexibility and customisation options but also much more complexity. reMarkable is a more minimalist platform, but offers the best writing experience. The subscription may be off-putting for some new buyers, but doesn't really affect core functionality. Kobo excels as a reader primarily, I haven't tried the new note-taking devices but it seems the software is not yet as mature as the other two platforms. If Kobo fix some of the issues then devices like the Elipsa could really be a serious option.

reMarkable and Kobo in their stock configurations are simpler and easier to use than Boox, albeit less customisable using the standard firmware. Both platforms are based on Linux which makes them hackable, as we all know from reading the forums here and elsewhere. This is an unofficial strength, in that it allows for third party software and scripts to customise these devices and unlock potential uses not supported by the manufacturers.

So which device or platform you choose depends on what use you have in mind for it. Currently Boox platform is the best "all-rounder" out of the box. reMarkable is best as a dedicated note-taker but still not great as a reader, and I would say Kobo is best as a dedicated reader and not (yet) a brilliant note taker. But it's possible to hack reMarkable and Kobo devices to gain extra functionality.

Ultimately it's all a bit more complicated than saying "this is the one device you should buy". They're all somewhat different, and each has strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited by Crowriver; 11-12-2021 at 05:01 PM.
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 02:40 PM   #8
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Onyx is good kit IME so far.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:06 PM   #9
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I have the Note Air 2. Onyx increased the internal storage to 64GB, just like the Note 3 (and the new Note 5). RAM is now 4GB, like the Note 3 & 5. The stylus and screen surface both have a good feel for writing. It's great for pdfs but not too heavy for overall reading. If it continues to impress me, I may see if anyone's interested in my Nova 2 and have the Note Air 2 be my eInk go-to device!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote