Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #151
merlin5353
Trying to sort it out...
merlin5353 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Nook classic, Eee PC
Just got back from a trip. Used my NC on the 4 hour flight to watch 'Avatar extended directors cut' and 'Crazy Heart'. Sound was good with no lag; vid was smooth. Ran it off my Sd class ? (probably 1, I didn't pay much for it). Used Handbrake, IPOD and IPOD Legacy (no diff), used all the specs posted here before.
merlin5353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #152
ibm650
ibm650 is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle
merlin battery life playing movie

so battery was good for 4 hours of movies?
ibm650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #153
merlin5353
Trying to sort it out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm650 View Post
so battery was good for 4 hours of movies?
Sorry for the delay. Yep, I watched more than 4 hours of movies and read for about 2 hours on one charge. I had about 20% left when I finally put it on charge late that night.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #154
mmw1161
mmw1161 began at the beginning.

Device: nookcolor
I use tools4movies/DVD Catalyst 4. Easy to use.
mmw1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #155
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
I'm having technical difficulties, I downloaded HandBreak, converted a .avi to a MP4 via the instructions on page 2, (Post 18, Baka'swalk thru-), Then I transferred via USB into the Nook/My File/Video and when I loaded it up, I got an error that says "cannot play video". Any ideas?
Its like magic, everytime I post, I find the answer. I left the V codec at 264 so I changed it and am trying again

Last edited by Belle2Be; 03-04-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #156
ThirtyBird
ThirtyBird has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ThirtyBird has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ThirtyBird has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color
This is a great thread for Nook Color owners who wish to play video - thanks to the helpful posters! I've been converting DVD's & TV Captures etc to watch from my hard drive since the days of Divx 3.11alpha, but I can still learn something new!

The single most important thing I learned from this thread may help you belle2be. The Nook Color supports 264 "baseline" encodes only - what this means is that in handbrake, you MUST ensure several settings on the Advanced tab are set properly. Those being :

Maximum B-Frames : Must be 0!
CABAC Entropy Coding : must be unchecked
8x8 Transform : must be unchecked
Weighted P-Frames : must be unchecked

reference : https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic...p=78494#p78491

I had trouble with encodes that work on my Droid not working on my NC. If you hover over each of these options, handbrake gives you a bit of help on them, and once I learned this and made those changes, it was smooth sailing and working video from there!

For those who want more details: If you check out the wiki for h.264, it gives a good description of profiles. It looks to me like encoding "baseline" will lose some quality and some features, but looks like it would be compatible with a wide variety of devices.
ThirtyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #157
JamesG
JamesG began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
But can this process allow me to convert itunes video so that it plays on my nook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I found this post on the Barnes and Noble forum:

FINDINGS

----------------

ok, the Nook Color has a resolution of 1024x600, which is an aspect ratio of 1.71

720 seems to be the maximum width of a video, so at 1.71 aspect ratio the correct width should be 421 pixels.

I encoded a video with a width of 721 pixels and it would load the player, but then crash and say it couldn't play the file. Anything larger than that and it doesn't even attempt to load it. So apparently 720 pixels is the built in maximum width for video files.

I did not discover a maximum height, however it's irrelevant.

ENCODING

-----------------
I encoded all of my test videos with MPEGstreamclip which is a free tool. I would assume these settings would also work in HandBrake.

MPEGstreamclip - http://www.squared5.com/

(if you're unfortunate enough to be on a Windows computer you will also need Quicktime Alternative 1.81 to run MPEGstreamclip properly)

Quicktime Alternative 1.81 - http://www.filehippo.com/download_qu...ernative/2615/

BASICS

------------
Just make sure you're set to MPEG-4 encoding, 720x421 (640x480 for 4:3 content) and you should be good.

Here are my Compressor presets (if you have a Mac and Final Cut Studio)

http://www.mediafire.com/?akfeeefjvbgjs7d

And here is a test video

http://www.mediafire.com/?meby28unjt7jhyc
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #158
merlin5353
Trying to sort it out...

Try Handbrake and use the directions here:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...ook-color.html
I've not had any problems converting several types of files.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #159
gstealer
gstealer is on a distinguished road

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro, Nook Color (rooted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmw1161 View Post
I use tools4movies/DVD Catalyst 4. Easy to use.

I splurged on the $10 for this last night and am very happy with it.
Much easier 1 step process then trying to use 3 other files to do the same job.
gstealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:39 AM   #160
borg man
borg man began at the beginning.

Device: borg man
You can also use iWisoft Free Video Convert from easy-video-converter.com

Choose the MPEG-4 Movie (*.mp4) profile under the Common Video profiles, click on Settings, and use these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1414
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	68051

Volume adjustment is optional.
borg man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #161
merlin5353
Trying to sort it out...

I think we (mostly) have established that it IS possible to side-load the NC with all kinds of files (movies, videos, crap). Just have to pick your poison and try it. Especially if you are using a Mac. I mean, it IS a disadvantage for we PC'rs to have several free progs to choose from. BTW, I'm pretty sure my copy of VLC will play 'bout anything. I removed quicktime a while ago. It was too buggy for me.

Last edited by merlin5353; 03-11-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #162
borg man
borg man began at the beginning.

Device: borg man
Quote:
Originally Posted by borg man View Post
You can also use iWisoft Free Video Convert from easy-video-converter.com

Choose the MPEG-4 Movie (*.mp4) profile under the Common Video profiles, click on Settings, and use these:

Attachment 68051

Volume adjustment is optional.
Should point out that you have to manually type in 720x420 for the Video Size (thanks to the original poster for determining this value); it's not a default from the drop-down menu. The only other change I made to the defaults was to set Audio Sample Rate to 48000Hz.

Also, this software does batch conversions. Just select the files and drag and drop them. I have not used Handbrake and I don't know if it does batch conversions or not, but I recall reading somewhere here that someone had written a script to use with Handbrake for batch conversions. Cheers.
borg man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #163
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I am getting an error message trying to load the original videos into the Handbrake converter. Some load fine, others won't. All the videos play fine on my iPad so they are not corrupted.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:04 AM   #164
gmon
gmon began at the beginning.

Device: ipaq kyros nookcolor archos
I got a simple question, I hope anyway - where is the stock media player that is allegedly preinstalled in the Nook Color and what is it called? I can't find anything that appears to be a video player in the Extras tab.
gmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #165
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
The app is called Gallery and it handles photo and videos.
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote