Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-18-2018, 09:09 PM   #1
Iris-maybe
Iris-maybe began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite2
Kindle for pc version 1.25?

Amazon Kindle has released the Kindle for pc version 1.25. Is this true?
Some of my Kindle books can not be decrypted!
Iris-maybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:43 PM   #2
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
I know that jhowell has been stating that Amazon was changing the DRM in KFX files in Kindle for PC and the change would cause the DeDRM plugin to stop working. He predicts they will make the same change to the Kindle firmware soon.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2018, 10:00 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Kindle for PC/Mac version 1.25 is being slowly rolled out as an update. Amazon does this to make sure that there are no major problems before releasing new versions to all customers.

Changes from the What's New screen are:

Quote:
Kindle for PC:
1. Collections management: Search collections by name and sort collections by name or last update.
2. Bug fixes and performance improvements.

Kindle for Mac:
1. Support for 64-bit.
2. Study features: Updated Notebook panel that allows you to view your notes, highlights, and bookmarks side-by-side with your book. You can also export your notes and automatically create flashcards from your Notebook content.
3. Collections management: Search collections by name and sort collections by name or last update.
4. Bug fixes and performance improvements.

As you have discovered this new version also contains changes that make it incompatible with the existing DeDRM software.

The main download page is currently still delivering K4PC version 1.24.3. I recommend downloading and installing that version and then turning off the option to automatically install further updates.

You may want to check out this thread for other workarounds.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:14 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think it is odd that they went to the trouble to make some improvements to the management of collections in the new K4PC version, but still do not support cloud collections synced with your Amazon account. There continue to be other odd omissions such as Arabic language books and Indic language dictionaries.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:30 PM   #5
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
There continue to be other odd omissions such as Arabic language books and Indic language dictionaries.
If amazon offered a Kindle version of Platt's I might even buy another one - searching my paper copy when I can't read nastaliq is hard work
Advert
Old 11-19-2018, 12:31 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
I know that jhowell has been stating that Amazon was changing the DRM in KFX files in Kindle for PC and the change would cause the DeDRM plugin to stop working. He predicts they will make the same change to the Kindle firmware soon.
so at that point, buying the latest kindle will mean it receives some " KFX2 " format that will be uncrackable for a while ?, and there will be a scramble for older models

a bit like printer wars, where suddenly a firmware upgrade forces you to stop buying compatible inks, or to go source an older printer.

hopefully it it technically difficult to push such a kindle firmware update without making books on already device unreadable, and that may slow down such plans

AFAIK it is a lot harder to stop you kindle from updating, yet still have book downloads & whispersync working, than it is to block K for PC updates
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:20 AM   #7
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
How does that new DRM effect eink Kindles, especially older ones that won't get any updates anymore?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
hopefully it it technically difficult to push such a kindle firmware update without making books on already device unreadable, and that may slow down such plans
It is very easy for old and new DRM schemes to coexist so that when the firmware is updated any books already on the device are still readable but any new books sent to the device will use the new DRM. That is how the new Kindle for PC 1.25 works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
How does that new DRM effect eink Kindles, especially older ones that won't get any updates anymore?
Amazon can't use the new DRM with firmware that predates it so older Kindles and those with firmware updates blocked or without Internet access will not be affected. The latest 5.10.x firmware apparently does not support the new DRM. The next release probably will.

As far as I know the new DRM only affects KFX format and KFX can be avoided by e-ink Kindle owners running any firmware version using the "Download and transfer via USB" function from Amazon's website. Whether this will continue to be true with devices running future firmware depends on how serious Amazon is about closing DRM loopholes.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i appreciate this is all speculation but... lets says amazon push a new firmware to existing paperwhites, that supports the new "hardened" DRM. Are amazon then smart enough to detect that my e -ink device(s) are now updated and thus deliver only the new format to me via the download and transfer route, or will they not know if I have deliberately kept my PW offline to avoid getting the upgrade ?

and they can't know for sure that I sold off my old Kindle basic on ebay, unless they run database checks to see what SNs have been re-registered with new owners.

and are there any predictions of when any such firmware may be rolled out ? or when they may block the old version 1.7 of K for PC which is what I use to get copies of my bought books into calibre

Last edited by stumped; 11-19-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Presumably, the new firmware would request the new format.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #11
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Presumably, the new firmware would request the new format.
Duh!

Of course.

Except for the download and transfer route, which I suppose they could kill off. I suppose that exists for devices with broken WiFi ?
Old 11-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Are amazon then smart enough to detect that my e -ink device(s) are now updated and thus deliver only the new format to me via the download and transfer route, or will they not know if I have deliberately kept my PW offline to avoid getting the upgrade?
Amazon will know that you have updated your firmware if your device is ever allowed to connect back to them. Very few Kindle owners would be happy keeping their device permanently offline since that reduces its functionality significantly.

There is at least one case of this sort of thing happening in the past. When the Kindle 3 was originally released it had support for MOBI, but not KF8 (azw3) format. A firmware update added that support later. Amazon keeps track of what firmware was last seen on each of those devices and delivers the appropriate format when Download and Transfer via USB is used.

Quote:
and they can't know for sure that I sold off my old Kindle basic on ebay, unless they run database checks to see what SNs have been re-registered with new owners.
Amazon will not allow a device to be registered to a new account until it has been deregistered from the old one.

Quote:
and are there any predictions of when any such firmware may be rolled out?
Amazon has been rolling out Kindle updates approximately quarterly. I would expect the next version in January or thereabouts.

Quote:
or when they may block the old version 1.7 of K for PC which is what I use to get copies of my bought books into calibre
In the past Amazon was aggressive about preventing older versions of Kindle for PC from working but as far as I know they still currently allow version 1.14 and later to work with their servers. (That is the last version that will run on Windows XP.) I have no idea what they will do once version 1.25 becomes more established.

Last edited by jhowell; 11-19-2018 at 12:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
My last version on XP worked on Wine on Linux, but they killed that.
The newer versions won't install on WINE. Since I discovered that the Kindle App on Android is "spyware" and took it off my phone and tablet I don't worry about the Kindle PC app not installing on WINE. I use a non-spying ePub reader on phone & tablet.
I use my real eInk Kindle's serial number in Calibre and read all Amazon eBooks on my Kobo H20 (original) or Sony PRS350. I preview on the Calibre eReader program on Linux.
Only a small percentage of my books are Amazon eBooks anyway. However Harlequin Barnes & Noble (Nook) are worse. They don't allow apps at all now? Aren't B&N nook ebooks now put on a hidden partition?
I support copyright, I don't "share" or "upload" copyright material, but I'm glad I don't live in USA with their toxic DRM & DMCA laws that are contrary to International Copyright conventions.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Since I discovered that the Kindle App on Android is "spyware" and took it off my phone and tablet...
Is the android version more spy-ish than the Kindle App for any platform? Or any Kindle device, for that matter? Just curious why you singled out the Android app as "spyware."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Except for the download and transfer route, which I suppose they could kill off. I suppose that exists for devices with broken WiFi ?
Or old models like my Kindle 2(us). The Sprint 3G on this model no longer works to connect to Amazon and they didn't put WiFi on Kindles back then.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle for pc